Your bike in front of some railings pics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
The Clyde at Govan , looking over to the Glenlee and the Riverside Museum
IMG_20180312_120825869.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
E5AD830F-CCA4-4A91-AD5E-8A997551079C.jpeg

Just dug this out from my Lake Vrynwy ride.
The dam wall railings and my CX

:smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Tough old climb in Wales, Bwlch-y-Groes, and Bala Lake:

View attachment 400644

View attachment 400645
I did Vrynwy, Bwlch-y-Groes to Bala, and over the Hirnant Pass back to Vrynwy, last year. Darn tough 100k!! Fun though :okay:

DB55A81D-617E-4608-B57E-C5C02CF7B72B.jpeg

Near the top of Bwlch y Groes. Wet, very wet!

D8DD554E-2386-495C-AFDA-53EAF2456FE7.jpeg

Looking up Hirnant.

2E5B43F6-57E9-4F11-8868-EDB391ECCFA0.jpeg

And looking back down from near the top of Hirnant. (with some railings)

:smile:

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
I did Vrynwy, Bwlch-y-Groes to Bala, and over the Hirnant Pass back to Vrynwy, last year. Darn tough 100k!! Fun though :okay:

Classic route, that.

Good photo up the Hirnant pass, another tough climb - it always looks very daunting on the approach as the serious stuff is mostly in full view from a long way out, but is not quite as hard as it appears.......

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
one of the toughest climbs i have ever done and thats including the Col du Telegraphe

There's only a handful of climbs in the UK that are tougher than the south-west side of Bwlch-y-Groes. In my early racing days, I would make it up in 42-23 - that was seriously tough, but when your contemporaries are all similarly geared, it's not quite so bad.......... When smaller BCD chainsets able to take a 39t ring were introduced, I gladly fitted a 39; these days, since the advent of compacts, I don't consider tackling it without at least 34-28.

I'd say Bwlch-y-Groes is more leg-busting than all the classic Alpine cols and climbs. When one does the Telegraphe as the lower slopes, or prelude, to the full Galibier, that is a fairly daunting proposition (approx. 2,100m total elevation gain), but still easier than the brutal Bwlch and its 'mere' 376m elevation gain.

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
There's only a handful of climbs in the UK that are tougher than the south-west side of Bwlch-y-Groes. In my early racing days, I would make it up in 42-23 - that was seriously tough, but when your contemporaries are all similarly geared, it's not quite so bad.......... When smaller BCD chainsets able to take a 39t ring were introduced, I gladly fitted a 39; these days, since the advent of compacts, I don't consider tackling it without at least 34-28.

I'd say Bwlch-y-Groes is more leg-busting than all the classic Alpine cols and climbs. When one does the Telegraphe as the lower slopes, or prelude, to the full Galibier, that is a fairly daunting proposition (approx. 2,100m total elevation gain), but still easier than the brutal Bwlch and its 'mere' 376m elevation gain.
20160508_122809.jpg

Being on the slightly larger side......it was a tough climb even on a 34/32 set-up

The telegraph was tackled on a 34/40 was still tough but could spin a lil bit more

booze and cake

probably out cycling
^_^ I love that climb, sorry love is not the word, endure is, but I definitely love the descent from there down to Bala lake, one of my all time favourites:okay:. I was on a stag do a few years ago white water rafting nearby, and I [ersuaded the minibus to detour up over the top, he was not amused^_^. Apparently Austin used to test their vehicles hill climbing ability on Bwych y Groes, we all paused for a pic of the view at the exact sign Jowwy is at above, except there was none, the visibility was zero because of the fog, it was hammering with rain and we're all having to lean at about a 45 degree angle into the wind to avoid being blown over. Happy days.^_^

Top Bottom