1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your bike with upgraded wheels

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by mustang1, 11 Jan 2018.

Tags:
  1. mustang1

mustang1 Veteran

If you upgraded the OEM wheels, post a pic.
    If you assembled a bike from parts, post a pic.
    Describe what wheels you chose and why.

2. I have a Genesis Croix De Fer 20 and changed the wheels this week for a set of Hunt SuperDura Dynamo Disc wheels with a SON 28 hub. I have Schwalbe G one speed tyres on it.

I chose the wheels and tyres for fast long miles over all surfaces. The tyres are tubeless. I wanted the SON 28 dynamo for lighting and charging all my gear whilst touring. I have only ridden about 100km on them up to now, but am very pleased with how they perform. They are so much faster and lighter than the stock Alex rims. I think it adds about 4km an hour to my speed, for the same amount of effort. They roll along beautifully.

For me, it was an expensive investment. But I think it will be worth it.

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/coll...eelset-120kg-rider-weight-1939g-24deep-25wide

3. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

As soon as I saw these I 'had to' have a set but by the time I'd scraped enough dosh together they'd been reduced :becool:

DSCN0056.JPG DSCN0052.JPG

Roval Classique Pave

4. cyberknight

cyberknight Guru

IMG_20170528_122554608[1].jpg drop bar mtb.jpg
    Boardman team carbon with superstar components lightweight wheel set approx 1500 g according to the blurb, at £184 at the time a bargain and my bastich drop bar mtb for winter commuting.

Mrs M likes this.
  5. Mrs M

Mrs M Veteran

12BFB8CD-0AA2-4ADD-BD57-105933984458.jpeg EC5ACA51-D9FC-4EFE-A1D3-EEEDA08730D6.jpeg Pic of how my Felt roadie looked when I got it, then after I’d changed a few bits and pieces. Only changed the saddle and pedals at first then wheels, tyres and mechanical bits as they wore down.

Thorn Sherpa, Fonze and raleighnut like this.
  6. Threevok

Threevok Über Member

Image3.jpg

Not exactly OEM, as the bike was built entirely by me. this is the second frame these wheels have been on

Wheels are Hope Pro 4 on Mavic XC-717 Disc and built by Merlin Cycles.

I needed something that could take a pounding, but was also easy to maintain and convert to different axle types

7. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Campagnolo 35 scirocco
    And mavic crossmax pro slr

Weight and bargain sale price..and they look the muts

20170929_170835.jpg 20170818_170612.jpg

Threevok and Mrs M like this.
  8. The superceded 'Blue'
    Ordered, to save costs with the standard Rodi wheels (& bog-stock 'Nitro' tyres)

Componants. Wheels. Rodi. 1.jpg

Upgraded to Vision Team 30, which were on a decent offer, at (Barnsley) Planet X, at the time; £149,
    I had a pair of Vittorio Rubino tyres, in the shed as a new pair
    It's presently standing, un-used since March 2017, on Schwalbe Luganos

Componants. Wheels. Vision Team 30. 1.JPG Componants. Wheels. Vision Team 30. 2.JPG

Threevok and Thorn Sherpa like this.
  9. ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles Veteran

@raleighnut I love the high flange hubs on those wheels. Didn't know they made them like that any more!

raleighnut likes this.
  10. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

I've always liked 'wide flange' hubs but they're really extreme, I'm pretty sure that Roval are part of or affiliated to Specialized but someone reckoned they're a Campagnolo 'rip off'.

BTW they look better 'in the flesh' than in that picture. :becool:

ChrisEyles likes this.
  11. Spokesmann

Spokesmann Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...

12. Zanelad

Zanelad Senior Member

My hybrid with wheels built by Harry Rowlands. Deore hubs, with Ryde Sputnik rims and Sapim spokes. I wanted strong wheels and Harry didn't disappoint.

I've had othervwheels built by him and they've been great too. DSC_2197.JPG

Threevok and raleighnut like this.
  13. kyuss

kyuss Über Member

My cheap TT bike wearing its new boots. I was initially just going to run this with the box section Planet X wheels that came off the road bike (that also donated most of its parts for this) and keep an eye out for a cheap deep section front wheel, but Ribble had these Vision Team 35's for £138 so it made sense to pick them up. Not sure if they are deep enough to be any faster than a standard rim, but they look the biz. The rear is just a DIY wheel cover I made from some high impact polystyrene.

UtQGEMy.jpg

ChrisEyles, raleighnut and Threevok like this.