Your car as transport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
What's the best way of moving bikes by car? Roof racks seem to vary in type - some of them leave the wheels on the bike, others have the front wheel off and the forks fitted to the rack. Then there are the contraptions that strap on to the tailgate - all bits of tube and straps flapping around. There's the towbar mount but is that a pain to take off? My car, a Touran has space to put the bike in the back, either laid flat or there's a bar you can buy to fix the forks to.

What are folk's experiences of moving bikes by car?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Tow bar option is the best for outside options in my experience. Had a bike clipped by a close pass once and of course you need to lock the things.

Now I have a a couple of locking skewers on a rack inside my pick up which I made myself. https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Delta-Bike-Hitch-Pro-In-Car-Rack_46651.htm?sku=122187&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&mkwid=sjlJhcitN_dt|pcrid|43133749973|product|122187|&pgrid=12317363333&ptaid=aud-68421196613la-80805064493&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsLT4yo_E3AIV7bXtCh13FgciEAQYASABEgIIkPD_BwE

You can buy a complete adjustable internal rack for a car. Front wheel off and away you go. Seconds. Good fuel economy too.

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
"....... or there's a bar you can buy to fix the forks to."
This is what I use in my Peugeot 5008

abschlie_bar_schwarz[500x500].jpg?forceSize=true&forceAspectRatio=true&useTrim=true&trimBorder=1.jpg

Bolted to a longish piece of 3x1 timber. Other versions available suitable for through axles, and more expensive bar systems with multiple fork clamps for 2 or 3 bikes (the locking provision seems fairly pointless, as you could remove the bike by undoing the knurled nut on the left :scratch:)

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog

View attachment 421550
Bolted to a longish piece of 3x1 timber. Other versions available suitable for through axles, and more expensive bar systems with multiple fork clamps for 2 or 3 bikes (the locking provision seems fairly pointless, as you could remove the bike by undoing the knurled nut on the left :scratch:)

And in case it happens to you (like it did to me): if the padlock ever jams, just unscrew the other end :wacko:

View attachment 421550
I've got a 5008 but I just put them in sans front wheel with wheels in between, leaning slightly and the seatbelt around the saddles to stop them falling over.

Drago

Legendary Member
Roof racks that allow the bicycle to be carried intact are my favourite option. However, not an option on my Little Tikes car, so I'm working on a design for a rear mounted one.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've got a 5008 but I just put them in sans front wheel with wheels in between, leaning slightly and the seatbelt around the saddles to stop them falling over.
I'm usually carrying only one bike so fold just the nearside rear seat to get the bike in, and avoid touching any upholstery.

Top Bottom