Your car as transport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Thule towbar mount for me, 3 bikes and if all kids coming then one can go in the estate.

Done 500 miles to SW France with 3 adult bikes on it and a rammed estate 5 people with a kid's bike dismantled in the back. No downside to it all.

Not entirely sure it wasn't a wind up thread though..

As per the other thread, I either dismantle it into the Boxster (wheels in frunk, frame in trunfk) or whole bike in wife’s car., but always entirely within a vehicle.

The only time my bike is outdoors is when I’m sitting on it, unless I have absolutely no option. Rear tailgate or roof rack would be like being water boarded for me.
Lindsay, a (running club) friend of mine had a SLK, that had a 'body' mounted carrier
Not sure where it fitted to (USA product??)

Now she has a Boxster (or did last time I saw her), & that also had a rack that picked up under the bodyshell

378225_4477204372383_142060600_n.jpg

Venod

Eh up
I have used roofracks and tow bar carriers, the tow bar carrier was my favourite, it was a Thule a nice piece of kit.
I now prefer to carry them inside, back seats down with a tarp to keep the inside clean, I can just get the Cannondale 29er in without removing the wheels, it's a Quashqai.

Tin Pot

Guru
Lindsay, a (running club) friend of mine had a SLK, that had a 'body' mounted carrier
Not sure where it fitted to (USA product??)

Now she has a Boxster (or did last time I saw her), & that also had a rack that picked up under the bodyshell

View attachment 421657
Apart from Gah!-my-eyes! you have the people ram raiding you because their too busy txting, the thieves robbing you while you’re parked, the opportunists who nick the bikes while you’re at a red light, and the total nullification of your rear crush zone when a truck driver, engrossed in a movie, ploughs straight into you.

Apart from those, what’s not to like?!?!? :smile::smile::okay::okay:

Sixmile

Veteran
If I'm just doing the drive/ride commute, then like this morning, I'll split the rear seats and put the bike in the back of the car.

If it's a ride involving the family, or if the car has the child seats fitted, I'll suck the seasucker to whatever car I'm using and clip two bikes onto the roof. I can then remove one pedal and the front wheel from my daughters 20" bike and place the bike on the rear floor of the car. The double trailer folds into the boot with the 3 front wheels, then 4 of us into the car and off we go!

keithmac

Guru
I was stuggling with out Kuga due to the rear "spoiler".

Ended up with a Mottez 3 bike rack. Once you've set it up for the ball first time round it's easy on and off after that.

It can be locked as well.

I got a load of straps from work, (used to strap motorcycles in crates) and have these on as well.

30_2_1_280x280.jpg
30_2_3_280x280.jpg
30_2_4_48x48.jpg
30_2_5_280x280.jpg

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
When we had a conventional estate car (Citroen Xantia) they went on the roof using Halfords Essentials carriers bolted to transverse bars that engaged with car's inbuilt concealed roof rails. With care and thought about respective sizes of bikes could get four on.

Now we have a Berlingo and never more than three they go inside in place of one or two rear seats parked fore/aft in the 'English Fashion' and secured to tie downs with ratchet straps.

Over the years I have used roof mounted bike carriers, hung off the hatchback type carriers, and a towbar mounted carrier.
I have never lost a bike from any of them (touch wood!) but the towbar mounted carrier has always seemed to me to be the most secure.
https://goo.gl/images/7U89KU

This is not my actual carrier, but it is very similar. I think it is the same manufacturer, but mine is now about 10 years old.

mgs315

My most preferred method would be in the car, followed by on the roof. Alas I’ve got a small 3-door hatchback (Alfa 147) so when going away with the other half neither option is possible (no roof rack available and the other half has a mountain of stuff) so Hollywood Express 3 boot rack it is. Only a very slight overhang with the TCR so does the job for me. Also means I don’t have to remember about it when entering car parks etc.

Top Bottom