Your experience with Amazon Fire TV Cube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
A bit of background:

We have happily used an Amazon Fire TV Stick for several years. It worked very well with our old TV (15+ years old) and with our new TV. The new TV is 4K HDR10+ and having watched a few programmes using another device, we've found our new TV is capable of a stunning picture with the right resolution video. The Amazon FireStick is our main media device, however as it's easy for everyone in the house to use and has the apps we want. So we are looking to upgrade to an Amazon Fire TV Cube which supports 4K.

We have a £50 Amazon voucher coming (broadband switch offer) and will use that towards the price. We looked at the Fire TV Stick 4K as that is £50 which would work well, but the Fire TV Cube has twice the processing power and twice the storage capacity. We want something that will last a few years before having to upgrade again so we're happy to pay the difference. The storage on our current FireStick is almost full as it is so I believe it makes sense to go for the higher capacity device.

We also quite like the idea of the smart features, and if we bought the Cube, would later buy some smart plugs to switch lamps on and off in the house, etc.

Get to the point, LeetleGreyCells!!!

Does anyone use an Amazon Fire TV Cube? What has been your experience? Is the Cube any good?

The reviews on Amazon are not particularly good
but then it has a 4.5 star rating for the Cube - so which is it? Good or bad? But then Amazon reviews are reported to be notoriously unreliable, and often not for the product you are researching!

While we do have Apple devices in the house, we don't want an Apple TV 4K as that is currently out of our price range at £200.

I am not looking for a discussion on smart technology, the perils of the [insert name of alphabet agency] listening in on our conversations or any kind of debate. I am simply asking what has been your personal experience of owning and using an Amazon TV Cube. Any issues or problems with set-up, use, compatibility, hardware, updates, etc.? Has it worked perfectly out-of-the-box?

Thank you for your help.

_Tech_Specs_Image_and_Headline_US_v1._CB482370852_.jpg

Gunk

Guru
IMO a Roku box is better, it runs Apple TV and Prime plus all the usual Netflix, iplayer etc.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I cannot help with the cube, but have 4 FireTV sticks including 2 4K ones. The older second gen normal sticks are a little slow, but entirely functional, the 4Ks are really fast. As for storage, I do some pretty advanced things on the devices including steaming and downloading torrents as well as having 25+ apps installed and am yet to run out of room. There is not a huge amount of storage, but they don't seem to need a huge amount. For the £30 paid they are amazing.

OP
OP
LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I cannot help with the cube, but have 4 FireTV sticks including 2 4K ones. The older second gen normal sticks are a little slow, but entirely functional, the 4Ks are really fast. As for storage, I do some pretty advanced things on the devices including steaming and downloading torrents as well as having 25+ apps installed and am yet to run out of room. There is not a huge amount of storage, but they don't seem to need a huge amount. For the £30 paid they are amazing.
The 4K stick is what we'll go for if we find the Cube is not as good as advertised. We've been really pleased with the basic Fire Sticks we have, but wanted to 'future-proof' ourselves while upgrading so as not to have to buy another new one in a couple of years.

figbat

Slippery scientist
What is it the Fire TV Cube will be doing that your new TV doesn’t or can’t do? We have a Fire TV stick on one TV but only because it’s ‘dumb’ - our newer TV does all the smart stuff onboard (Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, YouTube etc).

OP
OP
LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
What is it the Fire TV Cube will be doing that your new TV doesn’t or can’t do? We have a Fire TV stick on one TV but only because it’s ‘dumb’ - our newer TV does all the smart stuff onboard (Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, YouTube etc).
This is a good point. I suppose it’s because we've used the Fire Stick for years it seems (seemed) logical to upgrade. My wife is interested in the smart features but that could be done more cheaply with an echo dot (?). I’ll investigate further.

Top Bottom