Your favourite bidon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
I'll admit I'm struggling a bit to get my head around the concept of a "favourite bidon". Does it hold water? Does it fit in my cage? Opens and closes ok? There's my favourite right there.

I think there's enough difference between the designs/materials and performance/functionality of different bottles to warrant a preference of one over another (just look at my bottle in my post above compared to the others posted) such as metal & rigid, plastic and squeezy, covered mouthpiece, open to the elements. If there's enough difference to warrant a preference, then that's the prerequisite for a favourite bottle. A metal one that can't be squeezed fits your stated criteria as much as a suitably shaped washing up bottle does, or a Highland Spring water bottle. Surely if offered the choice, you would have a preference of one over another (i.e. favour it over the others)?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I think there's enough difference between the designs/materials and performance/functionality of different bottles to warrant a preference of one over another (just look at my bottle in my post above compared to the others posted) such as metal & rigid, plastic and squeezy, covered mouthpiece, open to the elements. If there's enough difference to warrant a preference, then that's the prerequisite for a favourite bottle. A metal one that can't be squeezed fits your stated criteria as much as a suitably shaped washing up bottle does, or a Highland Spring water bottle. Surely if offered the choice, you would have a preference of one over another (i.e. favour it over the others)?

Maybe I should have included a smiley.

There are two ways you can interpret "favourite" - either the bidon has some deep sentimental meaning ("Bernard Hinault threw this at my head in a fit of pique during the '81 Tour") or there's something uniquely superlative about the design, materials, ergonomics etc that means a particular bottle is the apex, the very crème de la crème of liquid transportation.

The first one I can kinda get although I'm not generally someone who gets sentimental about material objects - even at the level of a full bike. I'm all for a good story though, so if the bidon has a tale attached then I'm all ears.

As for function and performance of bidons I really can't be bothered to worry about them too much. If a bottle is genuinely crap then I'll not use it. If it squirts water into my mouth and doesn't dribble it over my legs then job done. A preference is fine but worrying about every single aspect of every single bit of kit I use just sounds exhausting.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There are two ways you can interpret "favourite" - either the bidon has some deep sentimental meaning ("Bernard Hinault threw this at my head in a fit of pique during the '81 Tour") or there's something uniquely superlative about the design, materials, ergonomics etc that means a particular bottle is the apex, the very crème de la crème of liquid transportation.
Mine gained "favourite" status just through persistence. I had the white one in the picture for ages and it didn't get lost. Or if it did get lost, it turned up again. For this great loyalty I awarded it the title of "favourite".

Then I lost it.

freiston

Veteran
Maybe I should have included a smiley.

The first one I can kinda get although I'm not generally someone who gets sentimental about material objects - even at the level of a full bike. I'm all for a good story though, so if the bidon has a tale attached then I'm all ears.

As for function and performance of bidons I really can't be bothered to worry about them too much. If a bottle is genuinely crap then I'll not use it. If it squirts water into my mouth and doesn't dribble it over my legs then job done. A preference is fine but worrying about every single aspect of every single bit of kit I use just sounds exhausting.

I don't worry about it, nor exhaust myself over it but it's not a black and white case of (sentimentality aside) if it functions, then "job done". We don't all have identical requirements in function and performance as you do and we may have different priorities (I can imagine some folk having an attitude towards bikes "if you can pedal it and it goes forward without falling apart, then job done - you don't need to make any other consideration about it - don't worry about and don't exhaust yourself thinking about it" - my father certainly feels that way about bikes, and did so even when he used one every day to get to work).

What you say you want in a bidon would make my favourite bottle not fit for purpose for you - you can't squirt it, you can't squeeze it and you don't need to suck on it - it will literally pour into your mouth just by tilting it. When near full, if you remove it from your mouth before returning it to an upright position, it will not just dribble over your legs, it will soak your shirt too. It's my favourite bidon though (both of them) and I have a basket full of other designs that I don't use but can't bring myself to throw away just in case I find some other use for them.

^_^
😉

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Some threads just keep on giving. I have a feeling in my waters - some of which got there by bidon earlier today (black Madison team bidon, thrown at my head by someone riding the Tour de Yorkshire, and therefore with its own cupboard and tea towel etc) - that this is one of those threads. Already.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Time was when this thread would be under heavy criticism for being pretentious by using the French word bidon. "Oooh la di da. It's a water bottle"

Are those days past?

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
409092-single-lever-bidet-mixer-brushed-nickel.jpg

Not such much ‘favourites’, but ones l worked hard to obtain
In no particular order

Ilkley Harriers Trail-Race
That was always a tougher race than it appeared to be on paper
7EB61D09-883A-4798-BCDA-C6F8B678639C.jpeg

Rothwell Harriers 10K
I still remember that it was a horribly hot/humid day
I must have recovered, as l ran to work too, for a ‘late-turn’
Then ran home again 9 hours later
Idiot!!!!:rolleyes:

B3069D7E-DC86-4120-8537-CBDA5C984B86.jpeg

Three In Three
Three fell-races in 3 days!!
Sat; Thurlstone Chase (north-west of Penistone)
Sun; Broomhead Chase (off The Strines!)
Mon; Trunce (l was the clubs fastest time for that event, for a couple of years, a 9 race season)

That was also when there was a prize-draw, amongst those who had run/finished all 3
I won, & after finishing the ‘Trunce’ was handed to my surprise, an envelope with £50 in it
I handed it back, asking that it be passed to ‘Woodhead Mountain Rescue’, who Andy (race organiser) was a member of it
They could use it more than l needed it

Until l stopped attending, (2018?)due to injury/poor fitness, he always reminded me of that day, & my seemingly not even considering pocketing the money
99B5BEAE-3541-43BE-ACB5-E3B099E05271.jpeg

Last edited:

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
I'll admit I'm struggling a bit to get my head around the concept of a "favourite bidon". Does it hold water? Does it fit in my cage? Opens and closes ok? There's my favourite right there.

Judging by the previous many images, I am guessing that double-walled stainless steel bidons, (water bottles, whatever) are not that popular in the UK. Despite the obvious weight difference between these and les bidon plastique, I choose these as faves because in the sweltering heat on the US East Coast, they will keep water as ice cold as you put it in for 2-4 hours before heading out, cool for longer. When out riding and it's (often) 32° to 38°, very cold water feels like it comes from heaven. Not just down the throat, but over the head or back of the neck, nice! On a real hot day, I’ll take both the 21oz & 16oz. Sometimes just one or the other.

Anyone else like these? (For dislikes, Yes, ridiculously pricy, but OTHER than that or the weight…)

DC8ECFDE-3C57-4851-B908-1A8133816592.jpeg

Top Bottom