Your favourite ever film?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Rhythm Thief said:
Am I alone, incidentally, in finding Blade Runner really tedious?

No, it's shoot.

ChrisKH

Guru
Toss up- between Dark Star, The Usual Suspects (which I watched again the other night and I do particularly like Kevin Spacey as an actor) and Trainspotting. I thought the latter was particulalry refreshing as a film; one of very few I have gone to the cinema to see with no preconceived ideas and thoroughly enjoyed.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
2001: A Space Odessey

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Ooh - forgot to add Wolf Creek. Very slow to start but a cracking watch none-the-less once it gets going.

Based on actual events and very disturbing. Bit like watching a train wreck, I'd imagine.

Also, Crash gets a vote or being an interesting film with an unexpected heart wrenching moment too (the magic cloak and the father/child scene, for those who have seen it).

Shawshank Redemption too, as someone else nominated.

12 Angry Men...

There are too many great films to mention really - depends what mood I'm in.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
The best ones are evolving & changing but those that show the spark of directorial/composer craftmanship....in no particular order
west side story
The wild one
The third man
Good The bad and ugly
Dr strangelove
If
Jungle book
Nostferatu
Virtigo
The rebel
On the waterfront
Psycho
Ben hur

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Goodfellas, plus Shawshank Redemption, plus The Truman Show plus Godfathers I and II.

Possibly another category, but one well-known fillum I saw recently for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed (having always avoided it as I thought I wouldn't like it) was Forrest Gump.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Wolf04 said:
The book Blade Runner was based on, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick was infinitely better but that's usually the case.

I dispute this actually, and I am a serious Dickhead (as many people will tell you here :o).

Films and books are different. They cannot be the same, and I don't think they can even be compared in this way. Ridley Scott took the basic themes and the plot of Dick's book and made something new which works on its own as a thing, and actually does not need to justify itself in comparison to the book. That's how all good adaptations should be.

It would have been very difficult to replicate the ironic dark and absurd humour that absolutely permeates Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, in the same way that you couldn't have had the rambling interior monologues from A Scanner Darkly in the film version (or not without making it seriously tedious). Instead, in the latter Linklater uses visual cues to indicate the breakdown of Arctor's mind in the film of ASD, and in the former, Scott updates the setting of DADoES, which was largely suburban, helping to define the urban imagery of cyberpunk in the process. And if for nothing else, Blade Runner is a classic for its imagery, drawing on things as diverse as the factories in Stockton, contemporary Tokyo and early expressionist SF films like Metropolis, but creating an entirely fresh dystopia...

Top Bottom