Your favourite ever film?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
domtyler said:
Watched OldBoy, a Korean film about a guy who is kidnapped and locked up for fifteen years on Friday, and Blood Diamond last night, a fantastic film (dodgy 'Rhodesian' accents apart, huh?). A really great story and nice mix of action scenes, story telling and even a bit of lovey dovey stuff! :blush: Best film I've seen for ages.

I recorded this film and I must admit I found it very well made, with some unusual shots and angles in the camera work. I didn't know it was subtitled and it put me off as I didn't want to read at the time I watched the film.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Oh - I forgot films like 'Ichi The Killer', 'Visitor Q' and 'The Happiness Of The Katakuris' by Takashi Miike. The first two are disturbingly twisted, the latter is hilariously madcap and genre-mashing ("an unconventional farcical musical-comedy-horror involving bizarre claymation sequences, zombies and b-movie pastiches", according to Wikipedia).

just jim

I like a lot of Studio Ghibli work, especially 'Spirited Away' and 'My Neighbours the Yamadas' and 'Grave of the Fireflies'. They never fail to engage your emotions despite the sometimes odd cultural mix of the settings and characters.

asterix

Comrade Member
Dannyg said:
Wasn't that knocked out the first time I saw 'Once Upon a Time in America'.

So I decided to watch it again as people keep hailing it as one of the great films of all time, but still didn't think it was that great.

Am I missing something?

It's quite possible - there are 2 versions, the longer is better as the plot doesn't seem to make sense in the more usual cut version.

Maybe it's not quite up to 'Godfather' standards, but I enjoyed it.

jashburnham

Adaptation

Danny

Legendary Member
asterix said:
It's quite possible - there are 2 versions, the longer is better as the plot doesn't seem to make sense in the more usual cut version.

Maybe it's not quite up to 'Godfather' standards, but I enjoyed it.

Hmm...I'm sure I saw the long version as it seemed interminable :?:

asterix

Comrade Member
Mr Pig said:
Always thought it funny that it was set in Scotland yet throughout the film it doesn't rain once!

Yes, very true. Attractive female marine biologists with webbed feet? Quite normal, see 'em everywhere; no rain for 2 consecutive days on the Scottish west coast? Do they take us for eejits?:?:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
just jim said:
I like a lot of Studio Ghibli work, especially 'Spirited Away' and 'My Neighbours the Yamadas' and 'Grave of the Fireflies'. They never fail to engage your emotions despite the sometimes odd cultural mix of the settings and characters.

I love Ghibli... and talking of Korean film (as someone was above), I forgot my favourite of recent year, Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring, a beautiful Buddhist allegory. Sounds crap? Well, it isn't, believe me.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Not in any order:
Local hero (mainly because of Jenny Seagrove)
Kill Bill 1&2 (mainly because of Uma Thurman)
Aliens (cos it is the best of the set)
Alien Resurection (for the basket ball scene)
Mad Max Trilogy (for the vehicles)
Breakfast Club
Pretty in Pink
The Matrix Trilogy

Top Bottom