Your favourite ever film?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For me...

"The Wicker Man".... the change from police thriller to Horror is simply so brilliant.

Closely followed by "Assault on Precinct 13" THw simple sound track is such a clever way to build up suspense.

(I needn't add - the originals NOT the appalling reworkins of the last few years)

TWBNK

Once were warriors

Tetedelacourse

SamNichols said:
I wish that people would stop saying; 'Oh, but the book is so much better', they're totally different art forms. It is like saying: 'oh you think walking's good? You should try cycling!'. It just adds nothing to any debate.

It's a valid statement to make in the context of discussing your preferences in the way the same or similar stories are presented through different media. Certainly adds no less than "my favourites are XYZ".

Just as you might compare the relative merits of walking and cycling in the context of ways to exercise.

Was it just that example that you felt was inappropriate? Do Sam or Flying Monkey REALLY feel that it adds NOTHING to ANY debate?

SamNichols

Tetedelacourse said:
It's a valid statement to make in the context of discussing your preferences in the way the same or similar stories are presented through different media. Certainly adds no less than "my favourites are XYZ".

Just as you might compare the relative merits of walking and cycling in the context of ways to exercise.

Was it just that example that you felt was inappropriate? Do Sam or Flying Monkey REALLY feel that it adds NOTHING to ANY debate?

But the limitations of the media are incipient, people who feel that a theme or a certain plot twist being removed from a film in comparison to the book seem to forget that a film requires two hours of commitment, whereas the commitment to a book may be hundreds of hours. Fine, the narrative may change, but that is inevitable; the character may seem different in your head, but that is again inevitable.

The my favourite films are x, y, and z normally adds to wider debates about the film, the other example only leads to superficial judgments. Trust me, I'm a film student.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Do androids dream of electric Sheep? isn't that long so it's more than fair comparing media. In other examples of PKD it's an even more level playing field.

I think 'Do androids dream of lecky sheep?' is essential reading for anyone wanting to optimise their enjoyment and understanding of 'Blade runner'.

Nice to see so many votes for Dark Star.

And not forgetting Das Boot, Bambi, most of Peter Seller's films, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Terminator, Blazing Saddles, The Fifth Element, The Taking of Pelham 123, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, The Invincibles, Deliverance, Hot Fuzz....

Wolf04

mickle said:
I think 'Do androids dream of lecky sheep?' is essential reading for anyone wanting to optimise their enjoyment and understanding of 'Blade runner'.

Nice to see so many votes for Dark Star.

And not forgetting Das Boot, Bambi, most of Peter Seller's films, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Terminator, Blazing Saddles, The Fifth Element, The Taking of Pelham 123, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, The Invincibles, Deliverance, Hot Fuzz....

How did I forget the Fifth Element, I've got the DVD and still watch it almost every time it pops up on TV.

I've seen two films of note this week: Before The Devil Knows Your Dead, which I can't rate highly enough and No Country For Old Men, which while I'm a Coen brothers fan I found ultimately dissapointing. I won't say more so as not to spoil it for anyone.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Disgruntled Goat said:
Watched 'The Lives of Others' last night.

Pretty damn amazing.

Yep that's the best thing I've seen for a while too.

A few others that seem to have escaped a mention thus far:
The Ladykillers (the Ealing one, not the Coen brothers)
North by Northwest
Don't Look Now

AND, cos I'm essentially frivolous:
Young Frankenstein (!)
The Court Jester (!!)
The Princess Bride (!!!)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Carry On Screaming ;)

("coz when you're screaming I know that you're dreaming of me")

theclaud said:
Yep that's the best thing I've seen for a while too.

A few others that seem to have escaped a mention thus far:
The Ladykillers (the Ealing one, not the Coen brothers)
North by Northwest
Don't Look Now

AND, cos I'm essentially frivolous:
Young Frankenstein (!)
The Court Jester (!!)
The Princess Bride (!!!)

The Princess Bride is brilliant, GF didn't 'get it' though.... *sigh*, philistine.

Ivan Ardon

I really enjoyed "Pan's Labyrinth". I can't have been the only one who cheered when the baddie got his come-uppance.

"Goodbye Lenin". Just fantastic.

Hmm, both subtitled foreign films. Odd, that.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Ivan Ardon said:
I really enjoyed "Pan's Labyrinth". I can't have been the only one who cheered when the baddie got his come-uppance.

"Goodbye Lenin". Just fantastic.

Hmm, both subtitled foreign films. Odd, that.

Yes, I really enjoyed Goodbye Lenin too!

gbb

Legendary Member
'Come and see', Russian war film by Klimov.
Made me shudder for its reality and brutality...awesome. Must go fiind it...

'Leon'
'Apocalypse Now'

Abitrary

The Dog that Miaowed - Slow motion black and white existentialist stuff from 1950s Iceland. Very difficult to find a copy these days.

Top Bottom