Your Favourite Hill Climb of 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You inspired me to look up Birdy Brow. We did the nearby Trough of Bowland on our tandem this year, which is a great climb but pretty tough. How does Birdy Brow compare?
While waiting for Paul's opinion... I would say that is roughly similar. I thought Jeffrey Hill on the other side of Longridge Fell was tougher. If you are tackling a hill climb day in that area also check out Black Hill and the Nick o'Pendle from Sabden, Jubilee Tower from Quernmore, and the Cross o'Greet and Bowland Knotts climbs from both directions.

Adam4868

Guru
While waiting for Paul's opinion... I would say that is roughly similar. I thought Jeffrey Hill on the other side of Longridge Fell was tougher. If you are tackling a hill climb day in that area also check out Black Hill and the Nick o'Pendle from Sabden, Jubilee Tower from Quernmore, and the Cross o'Greet and Bowland Knotts climbs from both directions.
I still find Jubilee hill from Quernmore tough going ! Was up trough a few weeks ago,some of the road surfaces are shocking too put it mildly.Theres huge craters over Marshaw.Stunning though

PaulSB

Legendary Member
You inspired me to look up Birdy Brow. We did the nearby Trough of Bowland on our tandem this year, which is a great climb but pretty tough. How does Birdy Brow compare?

Personally I feel Birdy Brow is the harder of the two and the stats say it is with an average of 8.5% and maximum of 17%. As Colin says the difference is not huge. Both are tough. I find Birdy Brow unrelenting while the Trough from Dunsop Bridge basically short and sharp. I'm guessing you rode The Trough from the Dunsop Bridge side? Personally I find the other side, Lancaster side, tougher. The reward for climbing the Trough is greater as the views and continuing ride are spectacular. The area around Birdy is very beautiful but not quite as spectacular as from the Trough.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Ah some of the great Lancashire hill climbs. Thanks for mentioning them Colin. I would agree with your other post in which you say Whalley Nab is tougher, by some way - I've watched people fall off and equally I have a friend who has done EIGHT repeats!! Mind blowing. I would suggest The Nick (from either side but especially Sabden), Jubilee Tower and Quernmore are all tougher than the Trough and Birdy. The Cross o'Greet is a great climb and one of my favourites.

Jeffrey is one of my favourites and I have a training loop on that which takes me back round to Longridge, down to Ribchester and back up again. Last year in training I was doing 3-6 loops. Jeffrey is a great climb and I'd encourage people to visit. There are of course three sides and so three routes - each is a challenge.

We are blessed with great cycling in Lancashire, the flats to the west, great countryside in the Ribble Valley and Forest of Bowland and spoilt for choice with some exciting and challenging climbs all within a short distance of home. For the climbing fanatics a long weekend in the area will bring rewards.

Locally I think we would say Whalley Nab is the one which really strikes fear in to the heart. 10.5% average and an official maximum of 21% though many would argue it is steeper than that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Locally I think we would say Whalley Nab is the one which really strikes fear in to the heart. 10.5% average and an official maximum of 21% though many would argue it is steeper than that.

Top tip. I have used the superb "Whalley Warm and Dry" (perhaps the best name ever for a shop, and probably my favourite shop of all time, bike shops excepted) for walking boots for my weird alien feet (size 13 double extra narrow, since you ask...) so next time I have a need I'll bring the bike.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Top tip. I have used the superb "Whalley Warm and Dry" (perhaps the best name ever for a shop, and probably my favourite shop of all time, bike shops excepted) for walking boots for my weird alien feet (size 13 double extra narrow, since you ask...) so next time I have a need I'll bring the bike.
Snap. I use Whalley Warm and Dry for boots to house my very broad and very flat feet! Outstanding service. As for the climb? Be prepared my friend, be very prepared. It's about 0.5 miles from the shop. As you turn on to the road you go round a slight bend and then bang!!! Straight in to it.

steverob

Guru
I don't do a lot of climbing and this year I did even less than usual - VeloViewer tells me I only did 7 categorised climbs this year - although that total is just the hills themselves, not the segments (so any climbs with multiple categorised segements only counts as one) and where I'd done multiple attempts at a climb, I only include it once.

But I did do two new climbs that I'm slightly proud of. First was Kop Hill just outside Princes Risborough - notorious in my neck of the woods as being one of the toughest in the Chilterns and so one I'd avoided out of fear for a long time. But egged on (and paced up) by @Sbudge, I not only did it, I came in with a time two whole minutes faster than I'd planned for! Turns out as long as you keep your cadence high and you know where the steeper ramps are located, it's not so bad (although I probably wouldn't have said that if you'd have asked me straight after I reached the top!)

The other was the climb into Brill from Oakley. Brill is a village on top of a hill that you can climb into from four different directions, with each side being slightly different in terms of length and gradient. The one from Oakley is the toughest side in my opinion and had been another one I had been avoiding, although this was more because of bad memories - I'd crashed coming down that side of it in 2017, breaking my collar bone. But I put aside my demons and tackled it early in the year and despite struggling at the steepest point, plus having a flashback when I saw the pothole I hit in the opposite lane still had not been repaired, I did make it to the top in one piece.

Five months later, it turned out that my local sportive that I try to enter each year was going to go up that side of Brill Hill as well, but this time I was a lot more prepared and confident. So much so, that the friend of mine I was riding with and supposed to be pacing up the hills (he's fitter and lighter, so normally easily beats me, but he doesn't really do any long rides, so it's my job to keep his pace in check to stop him getting knackered before we even reach halfway) I managed to not only drop, but somehow gap him by about 40 seconds - I didn't realise until I got to the top, when I looked behind me and saw that the person who'd I'd noticed out of the corner of my eye had been on my wheel for the last five minutes was just a random wheelsucker and not my mate! I did apologise when he reached the top, but secretly was very happy with my PR!

ColinJ

We are blessed with great cycling in Lancashire, the flats to the west, great countryside in the Ribble Valley and Forest of Bowland and spoilt for choice with some exciting and challenging climbs all within a short distance of home. For the climbing fanatics a long weekend in the area will bring rewards.
Indeed! I go over there several times a year. I used to ride there and back on the A646 but decided that I would rather do an extra 20 miles out there so I often catch the train to Rose Grove and start my rides on the Padiham Greenway instead. Sometimes I ride a bit further and then just pop over the hill to Blackburn for my return train.

Refugees from the long-deceased Cycling Plus forum may remember me starting a thread about "Macho climbing gears" which caused a lot of arguments? I had read about a rider doing hill repeats on Trooper Lane on something stupidly hard like a 39/23 gear and complaining about it killing his legs!
(This is where I get random fixed gear riders posting that they have no problem riding up it in a 70 inch gear!)

Ha!, Wayne Randle would be 'sitting on the tops', looking around him, commenting on the cracking view:okay:
Again...………………….

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152462296971995&set=t.1601508436&type=3&theater

Mentioning 'killer hills'

Years ago, I rode over The Strines (I'd been over many times in a car, be it dads, or my own), but the first time I rode over it was as part of a circular
Wakefield > Denby Dale > Holmfirth > HolmeMoss > 'Woodhead' (A628) > Glossop > 'Snake' (A57) > LadyBower > Strines......
Penistone > Denby Dale > Wakefield

I suffered that day
My lowest gear was a 42 x 21...................

Attachments

• Snake Pass. dsgddfl.jpg
    Snake Pass. dsgddfl.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: C R

ColinJ

Ha!, Wayne Randle would be 'sitting on the tops', looking around him, commenting on the cracking view:okay:
Again...………………….

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152462296971995&set=t.1601508436&type=3&theater

Years ago, I rode over The Strines (I'd been over many times in a car, be it dads, or my own), but the first time I rode over it was as part of a circular
Wakefield > Denby Dale > Holmfirth > HolmeMoss > 'Woodhead' (A628) > Glossop > 'Snake' (A57) > LadyBower > Strines......

I suffered that day

View attachment 496330

I definitely would NOT fancy 42 x 21!

The first time I did The Strines I had to get off and walk on one of those steep bends. Trouble is, my cleats kept slipping so I had to take my shoes off to walk the bike up.

I tackled it again in 2004. I did a monster ride down to visit my elderly mum - Hebden Bridge > Sowerby Bridge > Greetland > Slaithwaite > Meltham > Holme > Holme Moss > Glossop > Snake Pass ... Peak District ... Coventry. I intended to ride back a week later by the reverse route but when I got to Ladybower signs showed that Snake Pass was closed for roadworks. It is too long a climb to risk going up and discovering that I really could NOT get through - I know that it is usually possible and I would risk it on a short climb. Instead, I detoured via The Strines and Penistone. I got on okay that day, even with panniers on the bike. I was a lot fitter then!

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Again...………………….

I suffered that day

View attachment 496330

Classic ride. Did a very similar route myself on midsummer's evening after work, starting in Glossop, albeit with a 34x28 available. Holme Moss was the last big hill of the day ... and I think it shows!

I cant really think of any epic climbs this year albeit spectating on the Worlds was a killer overall.

Strangely the one that comes to mind was the one that me, @13 rider and @Supersuperleeds got blown all the way up near Newark....not much of a hill but just fun.

I spent a week cycling in Tenerife this summer and I’d have to say that the climb out of Masca towards Santiago was my favourite this year. My photo doesn’t really do it justice.

The descent into Masca wasn’t so great with cars and coaches getting in the way and I had to stop a few times. I made it back up, without stopping, average of 11% over 4km. Next time, I must try the climb in the other direction towards Buenavista.

https://www.strava.com/segments/673830

A close second favourite was also in Tenerife taking the short route and hence the steep - VERY steep - road from Valle de San Lorenzo to El Roque. Average is 12% over the 1.7km, with some much steeper bits: up to 36.9% according to Veloviewer. I took 17secs off my previous best 2 years earlier which I was particularly pleased with.

https://www.strava.com/segments/899114

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My favourite was the Col de l'Iseran, the highest sealed pass in the Alps. Although not as spectacular as Passo dello Stelvio in the Italian part of the Alps, this French col is still pretty impressive.

Top Bottom