Your favourite hotel is?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
The Linton Travel Tavern in Norwich

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Poshest one I've ever stayed in was in Beijing... can't remember which one it was now, but it was great! Apart from some drunk ol' biddy trying to get me to pay for her drinks in the bar, silly woman.

Also stayed in a good one in Shanghai, same work trip...

Stayed in a dodgy one in California, where there was an armed police raid three doors down during the night! :wacko:

..and I love NYC, and once had (about 15 yr ago, work trip) a room with a great view down 7th ave, and not too far from Central Park

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
The monkey house in Bray was something else...Pheasants strolling across the croquet lawn, the lot.

Otherwise, the crowne plaza gaff on wabash ave in chicago (concierge level, of course)- free cakes and liquor! For a month! May have been a bit much.....

Otherwise, most German hotels knock pretty much anywhere elses' into a cocked hat.

ChrisKH

Guru
Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel in Bangkok. Mandarin Oriental just up the road is a bit more plush but I didn't get married there. Either of them would be nice.

Barbidoll

Hilton, Edgeware road!!!! I love it.:ohmy:;)

Cathryn

Legendary Member
The Goldene Ente in Salzburg. A wonderful old historic building, decent rooms, a very nice if slightly scary landlady, wonderful breakfasts and the most gorgeous little city in the world on its doorstep. I've stayed there about 5 times.

http://www.ente.at/

Great restaurant downstairs which serves heavenly goulasch, and their 'small cheese plate' did my brother in law and I BOTH for a main course.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Hmmmm... that looks very like the Gellert only smaller. Must go to Salzburg. Never know, if the ash gets going next week I might get stuck in Hungary and have to drive home......

ChrisKH

Guru
Trembler49 said:
The Fairmont Hotel Monte Carlo.

Stayed in the Lewes Hotel in MC when my father was doing some work there when I was about 13. The Lewes was the one where the F1 Cars go into the tunnel and it is built on top. Not sure if it is still there or has been sold, re-named or re-built but I can find no reference to it.

The topless cabaret dancers were fab!!!!!

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Hotel Wolfgangseehof in Strobl, Austria. One of the cleanest, friendliest and quietest hotels I have ever stayed in. It has a wonderful location. Just over an hour by bus from Salzburg, near the lake, with boat trips to other towns, a mountain railway nearby in St Wolfgang, and cable car from St Gilgen. There is a small bus terminus at the end of the drive of this hotel, which offers oodles of choices. The ferries across the lake adds to the possibilities.

Strobl is small village, but has a few very good shops for packed lunches etc and a cycle hire, sports shop. What more could I want?

Alan Whicker

Speicher said:
Hotel Wolfgangseehof in Strobl, Austria. One of the cleanest, friendliest and quietest hotels I have ever stayed in. It has a wonderful location. Just over an hour by bus from Salzburg, near the lake, with boat trips to other towns, a mountain railway nearby in St Wolfgang, and cable car from St Gilgen. There is a small bus terminus at the end of the drive of this hotel, which offers oodles of choices. The ferries across the lake adds to the possibilities.

Strobl is small village, but has a few very good shops for packed lunches etc and a cycle hire, sports shop. What more could I want?

After a year working in Munich I 'decompressed' with a week in St Gilgen. Stayed in a log chalet B&B with a stream running below my balcony into the lake and hired an ancient MTB to explore. It was very heaven - completely fell in love with the place. The only drawback was that I'd left my fleece on the bus and the only thing I could get hold of in St Gilgen was a baby blue I LOVE AUSTRIA hoody :becool:.

I've got very special memories of the Excelsior in Florence. It was (and hopefully still is) full of character - marble baths, old carved beds - and in a great setting right on the Arno. Mrs Whicker used to be a travel agent so we've been lucky enough to stay in some cracking hotels for nowt.

Top Bottom