Your favourite non-cycling specific tool.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I like a nice sharp chisel and I'm very fond of my Makita Belt Sander - who needs woodworking skills when you can give it some welly with one of these :biggrin:

I have an Elu DS 140 biscuit jointer and that has diced up more sheets of MDF than I care to think. It has an extraction attachment to swallow the carcinogenic dust too! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Ditto for Elu pneumatic drill - makes 'mincemeat' of anything - and chisels masonry too.
Nice Stanley block plane is a pretty useful non-powered tool, Purdy paintbrushes, Stanley 10-550 big fat knife in a holster... I could be here all night:smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
domd1979 said:
Angle grinder...

Oooh yes, a 4 inch Bosch (115mm if you prefer) with a metal slitting disc...cuts any metal like butter ;)

Or maybe a 7 inch for the heavier jobs :tongue::evil:

Although i'm not electricaly qualified, i love fault finding and circuit testing machines with a Fluke T100 voltage tester. 12 to 600 volts, AC or DC, LED indicators for simplicity.

Like Aperitif, i could go on.....:ohmy:

gbb

Legendary Member
Of course, we (i) get reminded of the dangers of such equipment :tongue:

I was cutting up a steel frame once...standing on the metal beam, cutting with a 7 inch grinder, feet planted either side.
The beam must have folded in on itself, and instantly trapped the disc (something you DONT want to happen). Well this time it did, and the disc disintegrated in a millisecond, i was enveloped in the same millisecond, in a cloud of grey dust. Bang......so quick, you dont have time to react :ohmy::ohmy:.
Got away with it luckily.

Also, i was at the local casualty one evening.....a young guy was sitting forlornly with a whopping gash across his forehead.....
He'd been cutting the roof off a car with a disc cutter...the disc bit, flew up and sliced across his head :smile::ohmy:

A gentle reminder that respect is due with these tools. ;)

longers

Legendary Member
gbb said:

When I machined butchered wood for a living people used to ask "how are you doing at work?"

Still got all my fingers :tongue:

Still have I'm pleased to say.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
gbb said:
Of course, we (i) get reminded of the dangers of such equipment :tongue:

I was cutting up a steel frame once...standing on the metal beam, cutting with a 7 inch grinder, feet planted either side.
The beam must have folded in on itself, and instantly trapped the disc (something you DONT want to happen). Well this time it did, and the disc disintegrated in a millisecond, i was enveloped in the same millisecond, in a cloud of grey dust. Bang......so quick, you dont have time to react :ohmy::ohmy:.
Got away with it luckily.

Also, i was at the local casualty one evening.....a young guy was sitting forlornly with a whopping gash across his forehead.....
He'd been cutting the roof off a car with a disc cutter...the disc bit, flew up and sliced across his head :smile::ohmy:

No need of reminders here, I have a 4" scar on my inside left knee from a fluke angle grinder accident. I was incredibly lucky to escape any serious injury, although not being able to walk properly or ride a bike for a month was bad enough.

I have a trusty leatherman I've used since '97 and sits on my belt nearly everyday.

Top Bottom