Your first crash.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrius.B

My first crash was maybe ten years ago. I was riding with a friend in a nice sunny evening, doing maybe 25 miles an hour on a very cheap and clumsy bike. Suddenly, the front wheel failed, and the bike threw me into the air. I landed on my stomach, and because of the momentum, hit my head to the tarmac. My teeth hit the tarmac first (lucky me; only one of them broke off). If I would have had a helmet, I guess my teeth would be ok, but my neck would have been injured.

Anyway, that was my first bike accident. Strangely enough I still remember it pretty well.

Nihal

Veteran
I should probably have mentioned that the wheel was no longer attached to my bike!
Ah,that poor bike.Hope you got better soon(or i thik you already have):thumbsup:

suffolkcindy

My first crash: cruising along at about 16mph in heavy rain...instead of going around a muddy puddle I went straight through it so that I didnt swerve into the road but the puddle concealed a deep pothole which my front wheel disappeared into and got trapped SO me and the rest of the bike continued over in a perfect arc straight onto my head (still holding on the handlebars, see)...I have learnt to avoid muddy puddles even if it means stopping to let traffic past :blush:

sdr gb

Falling apart
What happens in these kind of situations? where you have an accident due to someone else but there's no contact. Is the other party still responsible for damages, or is it just a 'count yourself lucky there was no impact, tough titties about the bike' situation
If the other party is at fault, then IMO they should be responsible for any damages incurred. With me, the guy admitted fault and gave me his details at the scene in case I needed to claim. After checking the bike over when I got home, with only scuffed bar tape, I told him I didn't want to claim anything and we both chalked it up to experience.

In hindsight, before leaving the scene, I should have got the details of a couple of witnesses who heard his admission of guilt in case I had to claim as it would have been my word against his.

My bike crashes have all been utterly stupid and easily avoidable, but im one of those plenty of intelligence no common sense kinda guys..
5+ years ago: Riding with tshirt and overshirt, i decided i could take the shirt off without stopping, got 1 arm out and the sleeve went into the back wheel and threw me off pretty effectively.
2 years ago: Tried to cycle home a bit drunk, went over the bars, rolled up the street and got pretty bad concussion. Not proud of it, but it was like 4am on cycle paths and residential roads no traffic just misjudged something and hit a kerb at about 15mph.
3 months ago: Was cycling around Woburn trails on mud on my 20kg hybrid with full guards, touring bag, hard virtually slick tyres enjoying myself, was trying to wheelie/jump some small branches and went over the bars and got a soft muddy landing :biggrin:

Ive not had any crash that didnt start with me doing something utterly stupid, if that helps with your confidence :smile:
Nearly in tears picturing the first two. Sorry just really funny. All is well that ends well........;-)

When i was in my teens i raced BMX and crashing was just the norm. So many times i grazed and bruised body parts that it didn't faze me at all. Except the few times i'd land front wheel first on a hump and my prize possessions met the frame firmly! :blush:
Once mountain biking though i was flying down a very steep, tree rooted, dirt descent and went flying over the handlebars at pace. The end result was a broken collar bone and the skin off my back (literally, there was yellow puss and it took ages to heal).
This incident took away the fearlessness i had as a teenager.
I now only cycle mostly on tarmac. CX bike sometimes gets a bit of off road but prefer smooth tarmac TBH. Pity i live in Scotland though where the roads are just referred to as "Scottish roads". :banghead:
Still ride as fast as my ability allows me but i am very aware of what could go wrong.

roadracerash1

First real incident:
  • Stationary at a junction with a van infront of me.
  • Van started reversing and knocked me down quicker than i could take my right foot out of my clipless pedals.
  • Kept on reversing and stopped about a foot away from my head.
  • Helmet crumpled from impact on the floor.- bike mangled by 2 ton of van.
  • Hospitalised due to knee injuries and off work for two weeks.
  • No major head trauma.
  • Always wear a helmet. No matter how hot it is or how "uncool" the helmet looks.

Lyrical

fen x
First real incident:
  • Stationary at a junction with a van infront of me.
  • Van started reversing and knocked me down quicker than i could take my right foot out of my clipless pedals.
  • Kept on reversing and stopped about a foot away from my head.
  • Helmet crumpled from impact on the floor.- bike mangled by 2 ton of van.
  • Hospitalised due to knee injuries and off work for two weeks.
  • No major head trauma.
  • Always wear a helmet. No matter how hot it is or how "uncool" the helmet looks.

What the?

Need more information, just... why?

tyred

Legendary Member
Only really one proper off since my return to cycling. One Sunday afternoon before Christmas about three years ago I was caught out big time on my slick tyred MTB coming down a hill and hit a patch of black ice. No injuries apart from bruises but I broke the pedal and bent the rear mech. It all happened very quickly but the real "oh shoot!" part was getting up and realising there was a Honda Accord coming sideways down the hill towards me but I managed to get out of the way.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
After several winters of fall-free commuting, I hit the tarmac at 29mph in Feb this year. Was a long stretch of unsalted road with temps below freezing. Odd thing is that a mile earlier I was thinking how well gritted the roads were, because there was no ice/frost near the kerb. This section was beside a new housing development and the lorries that went in and out of the estate dropped a layer of soil over the salt, which they then froze.

Got away with slight bruising as the numerous layers took the worst of the fall. The panniers and bar ends protected the bike.

roadracerash1

What the?

Need more information, just... why?

The van reversed to let vehicles past. Because there were not any vehicles behind him the driver assumed no one was behind him. It wasn't deliberate but some parking sensors would have stopped me getting squished. It could have happend to anyone. It could have been some little kid. Shows you that you cant be too careful even stationary :laugh:.

thojj

Regular
Just before xmas this last year.Centre of road for blind corner out in the country with no cars anywhere...sadly another cyclist coming the other way with the same idea..he went under and I went over the top.To both our riding partners the amusement was of us both getting up and checking bikes before looking for personal wounds.Both bikes were ok apart from a few tape and scratched paintwork issues.Both riders?...who cares its all about the bikes surely?

Top Bottom