Your first crash.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brandon

Regular
OK I recently got a road bike and have been having a lot of fun on it, today i had my first crash, so i was out with some friends messing about just riding round the block near my house, nearly immediately after i went round the corner my back wheel must have hit something like a stone or something causing my back inner tube to like blow up, i didnt realise till 2 seconds later when my whole bike started wobbling even though i was holding the handles straight, i tryed to slow down but i flipped over my handle bars and landed front first on the floor, i hurted my knee grazed my elbows, hands, knees, hit my shoulder on impact and landed on my wrist, lucky my bag flew over my head as i fell otherwise would have grazed my chin but my bag cushioned my face. i bent my handlebars, puntured both tires (the second one on impact) and basically fudged my whole bike.... feel sore and hurt alot but i guess i am lucky that there were no cars around as it did take me at least a min to actually stand up. i was only going like 14/15 mph.. so what was yours?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Sorry to hear that! Gws!

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Gws

Mine was hitting oil on the road at 20 on a bend! Came off and fractured my left wrist and 2 fingers on my right along with a dislocation. Is always fun though riding back home then driving myself to hospital! I still have a funny lump on my wrist now!

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

calibanzwei

Not had any proper prangs (touch wood) yet in my current cycling lifestyle, but I'll recount a close encounter when I was a teenager...
Cycling to work on a much neglected MTB, with music blasting in my ears...

...and youthful exuberance in my legs.
Coming up to a roundabout, wildly peddling away and much yanking on the handlebars. SNAP.
The stem bolt had snapped and I lost all steering. Coming up to a roundabout. With an Eddie Stobart truck up my ass.

With a skill born of many times steering sans hands, I was able to negotiate said roundabout - luckily I was going straight on, no traffic to my right - and as soon as the grass verge appeared to my left, I grabbed the top tube and leaped. Rider and bicycle landed in a heap :hyper:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just from a confidence point of view, has anybody been riding a number of years and not actually had a crash?
I managed to go 23 years between crashes if that helps. The earlier one was caused by youthful exuberence: I tried to take a short-cut without realising that the bit I was cutting across had a 2 foot drop :B) . The most recent one was a complete freak accident: a stick flicked up through the spokes of my front wheel as i rode along:crazy: . I had no idea what had happened until I picked myself up off the ground.

Edit: I forgot to include my off on a snowy road. No damage, no injuries, just embarrassment!

ushills

Veteran
lucky my bag flew over my head as i fell otherwise would have grazed my chin but my bag cushioned my face.
GWS, you were lucky you landed on your bag.

From experience teeth hurt longer and are more expensive than broken bones.

Bobario

Veteran
Just from a confidence point of view, has anybody been riding a number of years and not actually had a crash?
I've managed nearly twenty years with only two minor offs, both caused by my back wheel sliding on ice or snow. I've nearly been ran over once or twice in that time, but never actually hurt meself (much). touch wood.
Oh, and get well soon op.

gbb

Legendary Member
I did for many many years (AFAICR) I sat there thinking...when ? before these im coming to, i dont remember a single crash. All these were in the last two years...

Icy evening, commuting home, took a shortcut to avoid an oncoming bus at a pinchpoint, across a paved area BANG...straight off on black ice and skidded for what seemed like forever :laugh: No injuries, very little damage to bike.
Icy morning, clear countryside roads....BANG, straight off on black ice without warning at 16mph. Scuff to the Bianchi, a largish red graze to my hip, banged elbow etc . Still managed another 40 miles with a sore hip :rolleyes: .

Summers day, riding fairly full tilt, child on tricycle rode straight out in front of me from behind some bushes...BANG, straight over the handlebars, hands out, thinking 'this is going to hurt :ohmy:'
Hit the deck, rolled like a pro and stood up like i was out of the circus while the bike clattered over and over . Slightly sore palms, light damage to bike... and thankfully the child was ok. Her mum was absolutely shocked...she'd not been paying attention, i said to her 'i could have been a bus :whistle:'
We all were ok, that was the main thing...no animosity either way.

D

Deleted member 20519

Mine wasn't that long ago, pretty silly actually. I was waiting to set off after a set of lights in the rain. I was in too high of a gear and I gave it too much power, the wheel spun and I fell on my side. Didn't get hurt but it was pretty embarassing :whistle:

lulubel

Über Member
A car pulled out in front of me when I was doing about 30k/h, and I went into the side of it and then over the top. Nothing broken except my bike (bent frame), but I've still got swollen and painful knees 4 months later.

D

Deleted member 20519

A car pulled out in front of me when I was doing about 30k/h, and I went into the side of it and then over the top. Nothing broken except my bike (bent frame), but I've still got swollen and painful knees 4 months later.

Hope you got it on the guys insurance!

Top Bottom