Your first ever bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My, or our, first bike was a red Triang tandam trike. I'm a twin and it was a Xmas present from Santa.... And you thought he didn't exist!?

* Looking for Easter egg! *

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
A Chipper, small version of a Chopper.

There was a thread on this a while ago but its good to reminiscence.
The first wheels I can remember was a Raleigh Chippy
Chippy.jpg

Unfortunately it got nicked :smile:
To console me I inherited my brother's chopper :smile:

kit-small-wheels

My first one was a Phillips (Philips?) Vox Populi in black that my parents bought me for passing the 11+. The next year my brother passed as well and he got one too, but his was GOLD! Grrrrrrr......... :smile:

jase

first bike

I'm new to CycleChat so hello! I only really registered because i saw the first bike threads and had to share the same memory as simonali - was having one of those fond childhood memory days (sad git!)
I also had a Purple Budgie,and was also about 4, I remember happy days in Richmond Park around 1974-5...I have no idea what happened to that budgie?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
This thread got me thinking, i cant remember the name of my first bike:sad:
It was an old black Raleigh that was a hand me down from my brother. It had one gear and a box on the handlebars that when you pressed a button it made a noise:thumbsup:
When i had outgrown this we took it into Halfords and it was sent off to Afroca i think:wacko:
My next bike was a universal single-speed mountain bike thing that i used to love, another hand me down.
And from this thinking about what bikes ive had, i just realsied ive only ever owned 2 bikes with gears, the folder was my first bike with gears, the Giant the second bike. And i dont use them anymore, i just ride fixed.
So ive gone from singlespeeds, to gears(for a short while) to fixed. These gear things have never really made any sence to me:wacko::biggrin:
And my parents always said that you needed gears to go far and fast!!!!!

Had a little second hand hand me down (second hand then handed down from my brother)
which was a 'bullit' if i remember correctly, could have been a raleigh but not sure.

this, once the stabilisers were off i got a raleigh mini burner (smaller version of the raleigh burner BMX) which was then followed by a raleigh marauder, followed by a muddy fox explora megga which was stolen two days after fitting a deore groupset from the garage.

specialized hardrock which was stolen when i was riding home at the end of first year of uni.

it gets complicated from here on.

Joe24 said:
This thread got me thinking, i cant remember the name of my first bike:sad:
It was an old black Raleigh that was a hand me down from my brother. It had one gear and a box on the handlebars that when you pressed a button it made a noise:thumbsup:

raleigh wolf?

the wolf range (never known as that) comprised of:
Wildcat
Steetwolf
and the mini version, Wolf cub

they had a plastic piece on over the top tube and a box on the handlebars to make noise.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Mine was a 5 speed wirlwind I think it was made by raleigh but cant remember it having a badge on it so am not sure about that.

I do remember really loving that bike and spending many a happy hour cleaning it and finding out how it worked. Oh and riding it as well.

I sold it to a mate and then bought something else which I did'nt have very long.

Then I bought a sunsolo, the frame of which I still have and indeed still ride to this day. Oh happy memories.:biggrin:

My first real bike was a Dawes Kingpin. My grandad bought me and my cousin one each from Chevin Cycles in Otley. Mine was green with red mudguards and a tartan saddlebag, and those Ever Ready lights. I used it for years, doing all sorts of things it was never designed to do, and eventually broke the frame doing jumps on it.:biggrin:

Pushing tin said:
Had a little second hand hand me down (second hand then handed down from my brother)
which was a 'bullit' if i remember correctly, could have been a raleigh but not sure.

this, once the stabilisers were off i got a raleigh mini burner (smaller version of the raleigh burner BMX) which was then followed by a raleigh marauder, followed by a muddy fox explora megga which was stolen two days after fitting a deore groupset from the garage.

specialized hardrock which was stolen when i was riding home at the end of first year of uni.

it gets complicated from here on.
That must have been difficult for the thief as first he would have had to catch you:smile:.

snorri

Legendary Member
I learned to cycle on a Hercules even with the seat at its lowest point and tipped down at the front it was too big for me. It was a ladies model, so it was easier for me to learn than my friends who had to learn on a gents model but were too short in the leg to straddle the crossbar.;)

byegad

Legendary Member
Mine was a brand new Dawes Roadster, Purple with SA front dynohub and SA 3 speed gears. Bought when I was ten for passing the 11 plus (yes ten I was the youngest in every class I was ever in) I rode it to death at about the same time I grew out of it! Must have covered thousands of miles on it and only ever replaced the tyres and brake blocks and the chain wheel which failed in deep snow one morning!

Top Bottom