Your First Pay Packet Purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
My first pay packet was, in all probability, spent at the pub and at Our Price.

My first pay packet from my first proper job went on a Squier Strat and a little amp. Still got the strat, the frets are worn down to the wood in places.
I switched to bass after a bit.

The next few pay packets bought a Muddy Fox courier.

ChrisKH

Guru
I didn't use to spend much as a nipper; in fact I had a family reputation for coming back from hols. abroad with more money than I took.

I can remember a major capital acquisition when I was 14 which I paid for out of my glass collecting job (65p an hour, I did a 79 hour week on average ) - rear Capagnolo gears, cassette & chain to liven up my road bike. The gears were on special offer at Picketts bike shop in Benfleet (where I now live, but didn't then) and were the dogs doodahs. Well they were until the bike was stolen.

Brock

I bought myself an Atari ST after working on the cabbage planter for the local farm. I earned loads that summer, every wage packet since has been a disappointment.

gbb

Legendary Member
gary r said:
I remember my first brown envelope stuffed with cash,well about £25 at the time,I bought a pair of those black & white shoes like the Jam used to wear & a Steel Pulse album!!!Can you remember what you bought?:tongue:

Cant remember my first purchace, but my earliest memorable memory was a pair of Italian leather fashion shoes, tan and brown with moderate platforms :biggrin: (it was the mid 70s, alright :o)
They cost me a weeks wages....looked the bizz, but were knackered within 6 months. Wore them to death probably :biggrin:

PrettyboyTim

simonali said:
So you were old enough to buy beer when you got your first pay packet?

I was 13. I spent the school holidays sweeping up in the factory where me dad worked!

Oh yeah. I guess it wasn't my first pay packet. But at the time it felt like I had more money than God.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
From my first job at 16 I bought a decent road bike Raleigh Road Ace with 531c frame and Shimano 600. Next pay packet or two was a decent hifi system....still use it now, 22 years later.

gavintc

Guru
I was 12, I had lied about my age to get a paper-round and earned 13 shillings a week. This was spent on a package holiday spending money in Spain. I was rich for a 12 yr old. I was even able to get gin from a local supermarket and my 9 yr old brother and I drank it in our hotel room.

Top Bottom