Your First True Racer What Was it and Year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yes. I think I paid £5 for it in the late 70s. It was, I think, a proper racing machine, but old and very worn out. It had Suntour Skitter RD and a Benelux FD but only a single chainring. I recall the extreme spikiness of the chainring teeth. It had one of those very long, very thin Brooks saddles and a flip-flop fixed/5 speed rear wheel and it had been streakily hand painted pale blue. I did it up quite nicely ... then rode it into the back of a parked car and snapped the down tube.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've had custody of this since 1976,

DSCN0110.JPG

1967 Carlton Clubman, rebuilt in the mid 80s after a lorry ran it (and me) over with new wheels/fork and 'New 105' transmission. Oh new pedals, saddle and front brake too.

Yes. I think I paid £5 for it in the late 70s. It was, I think, a proper racing machine, but old and very worn out. It had Suntour Skitter RD and a Benelux FD but only a single chainring. I recall the extreme spikiness of the chainring teeth. It had one of those very long, very thin Brooks saddles and a flip-flop fixed/5 speed rear wheel and it had been streakily hand painted pale blue. I did it up quite nicely ... then rode it into the back of a parked car and snapped the down tube.
See how much the Sun Tour Skitter RD cost now I’ve just managed to nab one off eBay complete NOS and this one used

Attachments

• C45E24D1-76E6-4886-8CD0-064C9D9394E0.png
    C45E24D1-76E6-4886-8CD0-064C9D9394E0.png
    190.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 67365EAD-A0B8-47EE-88E8-BD50A4C743AC.png
    67365EAD-A0B8-47EE-88E8-BD50A4C743AC.png
    196.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
See how much the Sun Tour Skitter RD cost now I’ve just managed to nab one off eBay complete NOS
I wrecked it by shoving it into the spokes. Ham fisted spotty 15 year old oik that I was.

It was my first ever derailleur, and my first lesson in what the LO limit screw was for. I replaced it with some horrible Huret or Simplex bottom of the range thing.

It changed the "wrong" way didn't it. This meant that both levers were forward to change down and backward to change up. I've never quite got over the shock of having them go in opposite directions.

I wrecked it by shoving it into the spokes. Ham fisted spotty 15 year old oik that I was.

It was my first ever derailleur, and my first lesson in what the LO limit screw was for. I replaced it with some horrible Huret or Simplex bottom of the range thing.

It changed the "wrong" way didn't it. This meant that both levers were forward to change down and backward to change up. I've never quite got over the shock of having them go in opposite directions.
Yep I only ever had five speeds but well remember forward to change down and backwards to change up Skitter are like Japanese watches beautifully built and last for ever

GuyBoden

Guru
My first proper Racer in the early 1980's was a Ron Spencer custom build, Ron was a National Champs 12 hour record holder, who knew my uncle, who also was a multiple National Champs medalist.

The frames were supposedly built by Harry Quinn's shop, but they could have been made anywhere, it was an excellent bike, sadly it was stolen in the 1990's.

It a bit like this one, it was fast, but a bit twitchy .
7549981.jpg

First drop bar bike, a red Viking Warlord when I was about 10, so I guess it had 24” . Followed by a Viscount Grand Prix when I was 15 or so. First real fast bike, a Peugeot Comète, lugged aluminium, not bonded but press/friction fitted:stop:. Rapid uphill and on rolling terrain, it would felt across Epsom Downs, but “interesting” downhill :eek:

Oldfentiger

Veteran
1965 Raleigh Rapier, bought new from Halfords for me by my mother.
5 speed with Huret Alvit derailleur.
Went everywhere on it for a couple of years until I had a slight mishap. Rode it into the back of a Minivan at speed. Two sprained wrists and a bent frame.
I rode it for another year with a 26” front wheel and no front brake :ph34r:.
Can’t remember what happened to it after that.

JAH

Regular
After racking my brain trying to remember the model of mine, I've found it:
upload_2019-8-7_1-27-29.png

Well this isn't the same one, but I had a Raleigh Medale, 5 speed junior bike in these colours in about 1982. Did 100km, 200km and 400km randonee events on it when I was 10 and 11 years old. I think I had this from new. Outgrew it and got a Peugeot, that could have been this, or something very similar, but in more of a blue:
upload_2019-8-7_1-17-50.png

(Thanks KneesUp!)
This was stolen from our shed in about 1984, and we couldn't replace it, so that was the end of my cycling career!
While I was searching for a picture of the Raleigh (above) I came across a picture of the bike that I completely coveted for my whole childhood - as a 'pre-teen' I just thought it was the most beautiful thing ever, and desperately wanted it! Made me smile when I saw it again after over 30 years...
upload_2019-8-7_1-22-41.png

Gorgeous!!
I've just spent ages Googling 1980s Raleigh junior racing bikes, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for that. Although, it simply doesn't feel long enough ago for my old bike to be considered 'vintage'/'retro' / classic, surely ?!

13 rider

Guru
One these back in the early 80's. Only a five speed but I loved it. Then moved on to a Peugeot Equip 12 speed jobby in the mid 80's.

View attachment 479004
That brings back some good memory's .That was my first road bike as well bought mainly with coop stamps for Xmas around 1978 . I remember it had full mud guards the reason my Dad bought it for me and not the Raleigh arena I wanted as that came with those useless 5 inch things . He was right about a dirty back when I rode in the rain

Top Bottom