Your First True Racer What Was it and Year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brads

1979 Sun Squadra 5 speed in white and green. I was 12 or so

Absolutely loved that bike. Once I outgrew it I knicked my Dads Eddy Merckx that he bought from Sandy Gilchrist in Edinburgh.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
My first proper full size road bike was a Tsunoda Grand Prix probably purchased in 1981 or 82. I remember it being bright red with half chromed front forks, ‘grand prix’ was in a white scripted type font on the down tube. It was 10 speed, the rear derailleur was Suntour Honour and it had a chromed steel cottered crank. It also had cheap suicide brake leavers which I soon swapped for weinmann levers with gum rubber hoods which I bought from Phillipsons in Garforth with my pea picking, gardening and paper round wages, all the best racing bikes had rubber hoods!

I’m sure it was bought mail order from a company in the North East, Darlington Maybe, Tensor Cycles rings a bell?
They used to advertise in the back of newspapers.

My brother also got a Rudi Altig from the same company.
Both bikes were cheap, cheerful and really heavy, despite this I loved mine, as all my bikes are now it was kept in fine Fettle.

Last edited:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
R J Quinn in metallic blue with chrome ends. Shimano 600 equipment (I think). Bought in about 1978, the frame was £25 and we bought the rest of the bits and built it up (it was cheaper to do that in those days).

Thrown into a skip in Watford in 1989 when I foolishly left it for a few weeks after moving rented accommodation :sad:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Mine was a Dawes (cannot remember the model). Christmas present in 1969. 10 speed, but the difference between the two chainrings was minimal.
At the time I lived near the top of a long steep hill and had to drop into a valley and climb another steep hill for my 6 mile ride to school. Indeed, pretty much everywhere from the house was down. So although having gears was generally an improvement on my Dawes Dapper single speed, much of the joy of the new bike was lost because of the ridiculous gearing.

R J Quinn in metallic blue with chrome ends. Shimano 600 equipment (I think). Bought in about 1978, the frame was £25 and we bought the rest of the bits and built it up (it was cheaper to do that in those days).

Thrown into a skip in Watford in 1989 when I foolishly left it for a few weeks after moving rented accommodation :sad:
I would still mourn the loss when I saw a good steel frame bike parked up. I expect you do.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Mine was a 5 speed Viking superstar about 1980. Was my main form of transportation as a teenager. Bought from Boswell’s in York.

Made panniers for it from two cheap rucksacks and hung a large nylon sleeping bag between the bars for a first camping trip to Castle Howard. Also remember rides around Pickering and edge of NY Moors. My mate had a Carlton with 10 speed and walked a lot less up the hills.

Living in Portreath, Cornwall, around 85/86.
Somehow inherited an old 10-speed. No idea of make. Was my first introduction to derailleur gears and friction shifters.
Like so many used bikes I've had, a little bit big for my stumpy legs.
Rode it anyway!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Hi - why can't modern road bikes now have these mini-mudguards - I'm sure there is potential there somewhere for them to be made out of something light?

Remember, modern road cycling is all about projecting the right image, not about being practical. Why else would riders buy bikes that don't even have mudguard clearance or mounting eyes? We're not talking about track bikes here that are primarily designed for use on indoor racing circuits, but bikes that are being ridden outdoors all the time.
The 1970's/1980's mini mudguards were not very effective at keeping you dry, but they did at least keep the brake mechanisms clean and stopped any shite getting thrown up into the lower headset bearing. The weight was negligible, especially on bikes with steel wheels, like the Raleigh Arena! Back then I suspect the driver was keeping down the cost of mass-market bikes, but the frames still usually had the clearance and mountings to allow full mudguards to be fitted if the rider wanted them and was willing to pay the extra.
My late 80's 531 Dawes frame is quite sporty, but not all-out racer, yet has the mountings & clearance to run 28's with mudguards. The catalogues even used to mention mudguard clearance for winter training!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hi - why can't modern road bikes now have these mini-mudguards - I'm sure there is potential there somewhere for them to be made out of something light?
Because they were bugger all use? ;)

You can get mudguards that can be fitted to bikes with minimal clearance that actually work.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You can get mudguards that can be fitted to bikes with minimal clearance that actually work.

Tyre and frame clearance wasn't an issue on most of those 70's and early 80's "racers". Many of them were something approaching a Touring frame and there was plenty of room between the tyres and the forks and brake bridges.
Those mini-mudguards were fairly effective in protecting the bike's mechanicals, but not the rider. They were also too short to be easily damaged which would have been a consideration on low-end bikes typically bought for and ridden by, teenage boys. Full length touring/commuting mudguards would not have survived long with the way my old Raleigh Arena got ridden. Leaving them off the standard spec was a way of keeping the selling price of such bikes down. Teenage tearaways didn't need them, and anyone who did need them could fit aftermarket ones, or get the bike shop to supply them as extras.

Top Bottom