Your greatest hill climbing feat......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lycradodger

First of all - hello: I've been lurking for a while. Have recently restarted commuting.

For me it would be the Tourmalet: first ever col attempted on first ever cycling holiday. Went to the Pyrenees with a triathlete who packed more toiletries than I did clothes, plus (heavy) camping gear: recipe for disaster. I had to keep stopping after the first few kilometres - at the time I thought it was due to the shortage of oxygen at altitude but now I know better.

On the plus side, the Aubisque, Peyresourde, Aspin, Portalet etc seemed like a piece of cake after that!

Joe

Über Member
I haven't tackled any mountains yet but I do love climbing and have never had to walk up any! My biggest climbing feat is probably just the fact that in sportives and when out training I practically never get passed on an uphill section. I can remember it happening twice in all the time I've been cycling. Once when I had totally bonked, and once when I was towards the end of a ten times up and down Ditchling Beacon run.
I was also told that "watching me fly uphill was a sight to behold" by a random cyclist I met on a sportive recently:biggrin: My bike is heavy too.
Still, I'm sure I'll be put in my place when I hit some proper hills on the Dave Lloyd Mega challenge next month;)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Rab said:
Glad you enjoyed seeing me and others struggle ( I didn't enjoy seeing anyone going past me) it was like death by a thousand cuts :ohmy:

Maybe I didn't phrase that very well - it was that I coped well that made me happy, not other people's struggles. :biggrin:

Bigtallfatbloke

my hill climbing feets are the ones on the bottom of my legs.

...I recall a bastard hill somewhere near Haverhill, it was freezing cold, pissing with rain and I had four loaded panniers and a tent on board...it was at the end of longish slog and I was tired and hungry. There was heavy traficc giving no quarter and a bucnh of chavvy oik kids yelling abuse...perfect.

Flying_Monkey said:
Maybe I didn't phrase that very well - it was that I coped well that made me happy, not other people's struggles. :sad:

And I was starting to think you had a nasty streak :biggrin:

I have done that hill twice now and still not managed to do it in under an hour - shocking :smile:

Third time lucky this year hopefully

I try to avoid big hills, and prefer to ride down the off-road sides of alps than up the roads...! Having said that I managed the wrynose and harknott passes on an mtb ride once, and the gospel pass in wales...but by far the hardest day in the saddle for me was on a tour of sutherland last year when we rode the coast road between Lochinver and Kylesku...it was just 1 in 6 after 1 in 6. There's also an 18% hill just south of daventry which I do every week on my big ride - I've never walked it yet. I've cleaned some pretty gnarly stuff (climbing) on an mtb tho...

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
snorri said:
That would be Culnakirk.:tongue:
Culnakirk, Culnakirk, Culnakirk, Culnakirk, Culnakirk

I have real difficulty remembering that name.

Smeggers

Bit sad this one, but the Cat and Fiddle near Buxton from Macclesfield.

It was the first major ride / climb since being an 18 stone smoking couch potato and I couldnt beleive I could actually acheive it.

U

User482

Time for an mtb perspective...

I once agreed, after many beers, to do a hillclimb time trial race up Caton Moor (near Lancaster) and back down again. Because of my humungous hangover and stinky cold, I had to stop half way up to barf my guts up, yet I set the fastest time in my club, and came 6th overall. I even cycled to and from the race. But more importantly, I managed to catch my mate who had set off 2 minutes before me, on the final corner. He's never forgiven me...

thePig

The toughest climb I have done is the Passo de Fedaia. It is not that long, but it is steep....actually all the dolomites are steep but this one is really steep.

I was on a loaded tourer, and only decided to do the tour with 2 weeks notice so wasn't particularly fit.

FedaiaE.gif

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
In this country it has to be Hartridge summit in the Pennines. Abroad it would be Mont Ventoux.

Top Bottom