Your greatest hill climbing feat......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I was talking to a friend about Apple Street this week - going to have a go at it tomorrow.

snakehips

My best hill climbing moments are still to come , I hope. I have just bought a polka dot Dauphine Libere jersey so I will look like a clown if my performance does not match up

Snake

my bikes ... http://beta.yudu.com/library/item_details/17432/Snakehips--Bikes

Joe

Über Member
Polka dots make you faster!;)
I was a bit worried that people would start attacking me left right and centre when I got mine. But either they haven't ,or they have but I've never noticed...I don't have a mirror;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Harrier said:
The Hill Climb Event up Cragg Vale (Mytholmroyd) was tough last week with a 25mph head wind!!!
And yet the winning time was just over 20 minutes wasn't it? 5 miles or so up a (nearly) 1,000 ft climb into a stinking headwind and manage to average about 15 or 16 mph - flipping heck!

I went up there yesterday. The wind had dropped a little, but it was still pretty tough. My time? It didn't begin with a 1 or a 2, let's put it that way ;) !

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
The descent from cragg vale into littleborough is one of my favourites!

there's also a very stiff climb going up holme lane from slaithwaite with a stretch of 1:4 halfway up- not pleasant. In fact living in the pennine area is great if you like breathing out of your ears. If you know where to go there's lots of them little roads with cobbles up the middle so horses could gain purchase going up them. I like it lots round here for that kind of thing.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the wild wales challenge i'd say. some of those climbs were torture, and the whole event was 82 miles.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
dan_bo said:
The descent from cragg vale into littleborough is one of my favourites!
Cragg Vale is only halfway up the hill! Yeah, the descent from Blackstone Edge to Littleborough is good. I had a strong cross/headwind when I went down it yesterday so I didn't get much above 30 mph :laugh:.

I prefer descending off Oxenhope Moor to Hebden Bridge though.

dan_bo said:
There's also a very stiff climb going up holme lane from slaithwaite with a stretch of 1:4 halfway up - not pleasant.
Ooh, I've not done that one yet. I usually climb Crimble Bank, Clough Road when passing through Slaithwaite.

The first time I went there, I asked a local where I was. I expected him to say 'Slathe - Wait' but he told me it was 'Slough (rhymes with plough) - It'. I said "Oh, so how do I get to Slaithwaite ('Slathe - Wait') then?" He looked at me as if I was a complete idiot ;)!

dan_bo said:
In fact living in the pennine area is great if you like breathing out of your ears. If you know where to go there's lots of them little roads with cobbles up the middle so horses could gain purchase going up them. I like it lots round here for that kind of thing.
Seconded.

I never understand why people don't like riding in the hills. Going up them is challenging, the views from the tops are great, and the descents are exciting - what more could you ask for :sad:?

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
It's an area I really fancy cycling round, though I've walked in the area quite a lot (the view from Stoodley Pike is fantastic) have never cycled.

If you ever talk to my brother about cycling for more than 5 minutes he mentions he won a hill climb in the 80's somewhere in that neck of the woods - but I can't remember where.

I don't think we share the same climbing gene.

Top Bottom