Your greatest hill climbing feat......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
......on your bike?

Me: I've never been defeated by an upward incline on a metalled road: never. This is not testament to my strength or fitness, but more to my bloody-mindedness and pride.
This is not a boast but a simple statement of fact.
In the summer of 1992 with a light camping load I knocked off Tourmalet, d'Aubisque and Marie Blanc in that order in a single day. That I think is/was my greatest feat.

red_tom

La Marmotte a couple of years ago. Croix de Fer, Telegraphe, Galibier, Alpe D'Huez. Perfect days riding for a 6'5" 90kg guy ;).

Rob S

betty swollocks said:
......on your bike?

Me: I've never been defeated by an upward incline on a metalled road: never. This is not testament to my strength or fitness, but more to my bloody-mindedness and pride.
This is not a boast but a simple statement of fact.

I used to be like this....then a steep hill in Cornwall on a wet day led to rather a lot of wheelspin and I got off before I fell off. Recently I've developed certain perceived balance issues on steep hills (rather than long) and again get off before I THINK I'll fall off:wacko:

Mortiroloboy

Rob S said:
I used to be like this....then a steep hill in Cornwall on a wet day led to rather a lot of wheelspin and I got off before I fell off. Recently I've developed certain perceived balance issues on steep hills (rather than long) and again get off before I THINK I'll fall off:wacko:

I suffer with a similar thing, I have this mental battle going on in my head, I have Cippolini in one ear saying "too steep get off, hit the beach"
in the other ear I get Pantani saying " stick at it, keep going up, up, up" more and more Pantani wins. But I do suffer with a certain degree of self doubt, and I'll slow down and feel like I'll fall, so climb off, but then I have to walk as, once off I cannot for the life of me get back on and clip in on steep inclines, the sort of steep incline that makes me climb off in the first place.

Couple of weeks ago going up Streatley Hill at Goring, I mashed my gear change ( went up instead of down);) had to climb off before I fell off:blush:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Having not been to France or the Alps - have ridden about Lanzarote for two weeks - nothing too great there...

Getting up any really steep climb, like Winnats Pass is an achievement, considering I only had a 42 x 21, or the same for a bugger of a hill in Prestatyn that goes from sea level to the communications masts at the top - that's steep and narrow, so no zig zaging.

Now have a tiddly 39 x 21 ;);) - although that would get lowered if I was to do a sportive.....

monnet

Guru
When I lived in the Basque country on of the climbs out of town ws an absolute pig (especially on an old steel frame with 42x23 as my lowest gear). It also came at the beginning of a ride so I wasn't always warmed up properly. It only defeated me twice - once, one of the first times I did it, when I got the steep hairpin and I was seriously overgeared and just couldn't turn the pedals. The otehr time was a mechanical, sort of. I had to stop for some roadworks and when I set off the spring on my cheap Look pedal snapped.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Still haven't had the time to do anything in Europe so it's still the Bealach Na Ba - as part of the first Bealach na Ba sportive - I was fit that year and in the top 50 for the climb - that was a great feeling zipping up past loads of struggling cyclists including one who apparently recognised me from the description of my bike and kit on C+ forum and shouted 'are you Flying Monkey?' at me!

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
When I was cycling LEJOG, I was feeling pretty pleased with myself because I had got up all the hills and there were plenty. I got up Kirkstone Pass ok and I was thinking I was going to go all the way, until I was defeated by a hill at Drumnadrochit that even a BMW sports car seemed to be having trouble getting up. If only I knew there was only a short way to go, or that I hadn't put on my jacket, or that I wasn't carrying my rack pack, or that I'd had a compact instead of a lowest gear of 39x25...;)

I think my ultimate was the 15,300' Ak Baital pass on the Pamir Highway, fully loaded with touring gear. The Mrs was really suffering with the altitude so the last five miles involved me pedalling a few hundred yards up the track in my granny cog, leaving my bike, walking back down to the Mrs, then wheeling her bike up to mine, and repeating ad-infinitum until we got to the top.

Flying_Monkey said:
Still haven't had the time to do anything in Europe so it's still the Bealach Na Ba - as part of the first Bealach na Ba sportive - I was fit that year and in the top 50 for the climb - that was a great feeling zipping up past loads of struggling cyclists including one who apparently recognised me from the description of my bike and kit on C+ forum and shouted 'are you Flying Monkey?' at me!

Bealach Na BA for me too

I was fat that year and probably in the bottom 50 for the climb :ohmy:

Glad you enjoyed seeing me and others struggle ( I didn't enjoy seeing anyone going past me) it was like death by a thousand cuts :biggrin:

Hills = big problem for me

yenrod

I along with an old cycling friend, whom i never see now, cycled round Snowdon, starting from llanberis up the pass; then round passing through Bedgellert (so famous yet soo small), in a clockwise direction back to the campsite, which was pretty much close to llanberis - great route.

My own 100mls on my own was something I was v.happy with reckoned that if you can go to 70mls etc.. then a ton is no problem !

Top ride, you describe that Betty !!!!

Top Bottom