Your hobbies involving exercise over the years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Just down The road, there is a paddle board hire place. I think it looks fun, have done for a while but idea was ridiculed by my bike bud. Looking for new exercise/cycling/swimming/kayaking buddy.

i really want to have a go at paddle boarding. Also, decent launch point just outside my front door.

It’ll complement the cycling as well. Sure paddle boarding will be good for balance and upper body strength.

Venod

Eh up
BOF is the main organisation for Orienteering but MTB orienteering has its own organisation.

http://www.bmbo.org.uk/

Up to about 16 - just what came up - mostly walking/going up mountains with either Scouts/Venture scouts - or Navy Cadets
plus riding my bike all over the Wirral - when I was in my 30/40s I was talking to my Dad and he asked where I used to ride to - he thought it was around the North - New Brighton or West Kirby. He was rather surprised to find I used to end up in Chester at times!!!
Early 20s started Badminton after being hopeless at Tennis for many years - found it much better and continued until my feet decided it was too much in my mid 40s
Sailing from my 20s to almost 40

When my daughter was young we did a lot of walking around North Wales. Not many proper mountains but a lot of distance.

In my 50s I found out I had Asthma - probably had it for many years - which explained a lot
Most exercise I was hopeless at needed good breathing - I was only good at sports where I could breath a bit but didn't require a lot of breathing effort
My cycling was normally at touring speeds - hence didn't need a lot of breathing effort.
BTW - running at school was also explained by this - I was good at things like 110m hurdles and 100m and Long jump - but 200m was a jog to me and 400m often ended in a walk
But then I played Rugby at school where I could recover breathing during the rucks/scrums/mauls.
Main sporting achievement at school was NEVER going round the cross-country course - even once - when it was compulsory to complete it 3 times every year. It was helped as for the last 2 years I volunteered to be the person checking on who had and had not done it for our House. So I sat at the start/finish and just ticked the names off - guess whose name was first!!!

Lately - i.e. since about 55 - I have been ebiking 4-5 times a week in gradually reducing assists levels and increasing distance at the same time.
I have tried walking again but the last few years but if I walk at any sort of speed for a few days running either my knees or tendons give up and I can;t walk for a few days!

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Just down The road, there is a paddle board hire place. I think it looks fun, have done for a while but idea was ridiculed by my bike bud. Looking for new exercise/cycling/swimming/kayaking buddy.

i really want to have a go at paddle boarding. Also, decent launch point just outside my front door.
Just do it, I love my paddle board. It is such a relaxing and peaceful thing, and way easier than you imagine it to be.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
If you enjoy maps and cycling, yes you will enjoy it, but it's not the same as foot O.
I did my first event in 2004 a score event, in all that time since I have done loads of score events but I think only two normal events, because route choice is obviously limited in a normal event, ie: you can't just cut through a section forest if it's the quickest looking route, you have to use the tracks same as everyone else.
I prefer score and all the events up here are score events, 2, 3, 4 and, 5, hour events are the norm.
It's a bit more informal than foot O, ie you are not expected to join a club to compete.
A map board is a must have IMO.
Give it go, there are quite a lot geriatric competitors, me included.
Well, I did my first one last week, the SLOW/WIM event. I did the 3 hour score, but didn't do so well as I had to keep stopping and sort the map, and even ride back to pick it up on one section :rolleyes:

I will now invest in a proper map board and get this nailed. Very enjoyable, thanks for the tip and now to find some more events (and a map board!). I see there a couple for sale in the Classifieds section which may be suitable.

Venod

Eh up
I will now invest in a proper map board and get this nailed. Very enjoyable, thanks for the tip and now to find some more events (and a map board!). I see there a couple for sale in the Classifieds section which may be suitable.

I have had a number of map boards over the years all home made, I made them so they turned so you can orientate the map to direction of travel as you would running, but I find I don't turn it much as its not as easy to pick up where you are when cycling, you can't thumb the map as you do running.

I did a 4 hour event in Swaledale last week, I was happy with the result (2nd in age class) but I could have done with some lower gearing and a full suspension bike would have helped, but still enjoyed it, they used Maprun at this event so no controls, just a ping on your phone or Garmin when you are in the correct place.

1632049071823.png

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
At school I was a good short distance runner and cycled a lot as well as swimming.
After school did farming for a while which while not a hobby fairly toughened me up.
At Uni did a lot of cycle touring and hillwalking with a mostly a bivvy of some kind.
Later the cycle touring continued with my wife but when kids arrived this took a back seat and I did more sailing on various sizes of my own boats as well as scuba diving. Open water scuba which we did required a good level of fitness.
Cycle touring continued until my wife became too ill and I became a full time carer.
Now I just pootle around on my trike and I doubt I will ever tour again.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I never purposely exercised. Always walked and cycled,now more than ever. Didn't do sport at school, point blank refused, no interest then or now. Will happily walk or cycle miles at the drop of a hat.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just do it, I love my paddle board. It is such a relaxing and peaceful thing, and way easier than you imagine it to be.
I am going to do it but the hirer likes to hire to 2 people, not solo people, for safety. That’s fair enough, I guess.
I suggested it to oldest friend expecting her to say no but she said “you are so stupid thinking you can take up hobbies at YOUR age”. I am 57, not dead.
I am going to have to consider dating at this rate, just to have someone to go with. I have asked my cousin (his knees hurt too much), other Norwich friend but he can’t swim and is worried about water so a bit stuffed.
I will go paddle boarding by the end of the month, determined now.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I am going to do it but the hirer likes to hire to 2 people, not solo people, for safety. That’s fair enough, I guess.
I suggested it to oldest friend expecting her to say no but she said “you are so stupid thinking you can take up hobbies at YOUR age”. I am 57, not dead.
I am going to have to consider dating at this rate, just to have someone to go with. I have asked my cousin (his knees hurt too much), other Norwich friend but he can’t swim and is worried about water so a bit stuffed.
I will go paddle boarding by the end of the month, determined now.
Honestly, I would never have suggested it if I knew you were elderly :laugh:

Top Bottom