Your hobbies involving exercise over the years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purpan

Mainly climbing. Favourite venues: Dinorwic slate; Gogarth; Chamonix; Verdon; Sobell centre traversing wall in the 80s.

presta

Guru
Up to 16: Cycling. Nothing much, just kid's play sort of stuff.
16-20: Couch potato, driving.
20-25: Cycling. Just local stuff in the evenings.
25-31: Swimming. Lived in the pool, quit due to ear trouble. Some canoeing, fizzled out because I couldn't keep up with the others.
31-32: Couch potato.
32-42: Fellwalking, long distance footpaths. It was my life, but my ankle put paid to it. A bit of local cycling too.
42-52: Cycle touring. Forced to quit as a result of a lifetime of overtraining.
52-61: Bugger all. Multiple attempts at re-training all ended in tears, or in hospital. I can't tolerate more than about 95bpm, so holidays consisted of strolling along flat canal towpaths and disused railways.
61-63: Nothing at all. Not sat on the bike since 1.4.20.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Up to late teens; cycling and/or running most days.
Late teens to mid twenties; squash, table tennis, swimming.
Mid twenties to mid thirties; squash, running and tai kwon do
Mid thirties onwards; cycling, scuba diving, walking, swimming

Up to 16: Cycling. Nothing much, just kid's play sort of stuff.
16-20: Couch potato, driving.
20-25: Cycling. Just local stuff in the evenings.
25-31: Swimming. Lived in the pool, quit due to ear trouble. Some canoeing, fizzled out because I couldn't keep up with the others.
31-32: Couch potato.
32-42: Fellwalking, long distance footpaths. It was my life, but my ankle put paid to it. A bit of local cycling too.
42-52: Cycle touring. Forced to quit as a result of a lifetime of overtraining.
52-61: Bugger all. Multiple attempts at re-training all ended in tears, or in hospital. I can't tolerate more than about 95bpm, so holidays consisted of strolling along flat canal towpaths and disused railways.
61-63: Nothing at all. Not sat on the bike since 1.4.20.
Sorry to hear this. What was the overtraining on? Not cycle touring surely?

Alex321

Veteran
0-10, don't really remember. Just general active child things.

11-18, cycling to school (3-4 miles each way) plus leisure rides at weekends, swimming & water polo as part of the school teams.

19-23 (university). Water polo, Octopush (sometimes called underwater hockey), Morris dancing, Welsh folk dancing.

24-40 Badminton, 5-a-side football, some 11-a-side (not much), 10 years of cycling to work (14 miles each way).

41-50 not much :sad: Occasional cycling. One week most years skiing.

50-61 Swimming for half an hour 3-4 times a week. Morris dancing again from age 55.

61-62 (present) Cycling - 10-18 miles per day on weekdays (35-75 minutes most days), a bit longer at weekends. Morris Dancing.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Mainly climbing. Favourite venues: Dinorwic slate; Gogarth; Chamonix; Verdon; Sobell centre traversing wall in the 80s.

Slate was definitely something different when down Llanberis way. Did you have the purple peanuts for protection? Never tested mine but did wonder if they’d hold in the slate if I fell.

purpan

Slate was definitely something different when down Llanberis way. Did you have the purple peanuts for protection? Never tested mine but did wonder if they’d hold in the slate if I fell.
Peanuts were a bit modern for me. We used RPs. I never had much faith in RP zeroes, although I used one and still have it. I did take a fall on an RP2 trying to do Dervish, when a hold crumbled (these were early days, so still a bit loose in places).

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Peanuts were a bit modern for me. We used RPs. I never had much faith in RP zeroes, although I used one and still have it. I did take a fall on an RP2 trying to do Dervish, when a hold crumbled (these were early days, so still a bit loose in places).

Ah yes the brass ones. Borrowed those in my early days of leading.

purpan

Ah yes the brass ones. Borrowed those in my early days of leading.
Probably only find them in a museum now…

Venod

Eh up
10 -20 Cycling,
Football, (a lot of five a side, but not very good at it, more a social thing)
Rugby League (better at it than football, but became too brutal)
20-30 Cycling,
Running,
Squash (better than average, but no Jonah Barrington)
30-40 Running all distances up to Marathon, Fell Running, Orienteering, hiking /walking
Cycling more seriously, Time Trialling, Circuit Training with the CC.
40-69 Running, some road events, some fell events, Mountain Marathons, but mostly Orienteering until a bike accident damaged my knee at age 63, ( good news back, running again)
Cycling, MTB Orienteering (which I still do) plus a lot of general road and off road riding to keep fit.
Hiking /walking

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I had one main sport from the age of 10 until I was in my early 30s, that was Hockey. My life pretty much revolved around it all those years and it was the only sport I was properly good at.
On the side I did other things like cycling, sailing, kayaking, tennis, cricket (village stuff only), snowboarding and running. I played a bit of golf for a while too, first as a kid because my garden backed into the 11th fairway and then later after I became too old and slow for hockey. Nowadays it is cycling, kayaking, shooting, archery and a bit of indoor rowing.

Top Bottom