Your hobbies involving exercise over the years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Thought I start a thread on your hobbies that have involved exercise over your years. Quite interesting looking back at what occupied your time exercise and hobby wise over the decades.

Aged 3-9

Cycling and climbing trees were my main hobbies involving exercise at this point. Did ballet and tap dancing. Did gymnastics. Learnt to swim and collected the badges. Started biking down woods on tracker bikes. Early school trips hiking with overnights in YHA.

Aged 10-19

Cycling and hill walking. Did my first bivvy and camping trips aged 12 but usually just over a weekend. We’d family camp each year but they are different to the back pack and camp / bivvy experience. Did Offas Dyke with the college my dad lectured at. Skate boarding. Tracker bikes down woods.

Age 20-29

Cycling and back packing. Got into long distance backpacking and ticked a few of the long distance paths off in this time. Such as Pennine Way, West Highland Way, Cambrian Way etc. First trips to the Alps and Himilayas walking and trekking. Started rock climbing and more serious winter mountaineering. Early Alpine 4000m peaks. Judo during my university years. Played Squash, Table Tennis and Badminton in local leagues.

Age 30-39

Really got into my climbing with multiple trips to Alps, USA, Canada, Africa, Himalayas to go climb a few mountains. Ticking off the 4000m peaks of the Alps. Ice climbing in the winter. Still cycling and hill walking at home. Got into multi day mountain bike off road point to point tours of up to a week. Spent 19 months travelling round world visiting all 7 continents plus Arctic.

Age 40-49

Transitioned back from primarily mountain bike to road bike. Did some road bike tours and discovered audax. Still some mtn bike tours in my early 40s. Spent more time in Dolomites and less in Alps after I discovered Via Ferrata. Alps or Dolomites for two weeks each year. Plenty of rock climbing going on.

Age 50+

Mountain bike died. Primarily audax, a few road bike tours, and hill walking. Trips to Alps and Dolomites less frequent. Every other year. Taken bikes out to both places to ride a few of the passes. Bought my first recumbent. Primarily ride a recumbent now. Not rock climbing as much as in my 40s.

Age 60+ plans

Plan for more bike tours of a week or longer. Likely on the recumbent. Due to its comfort over long distance. Plan for some bike tours in Alps etc. Revive the hill walking and easier rock climbs.

Last edited:

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Age 4-8, Judo. Stopped as the club closed.

Age 8-40, Boxing, Muay Thai. Stopped due to a back and hip injury, not helped by coming off my snowboard at an almighty rate of knots. I suppose all that time getting the crap kicked out of me would result in a karmic payback.😄

Age 9 - now, Cycling.

Age 14-now, Weight Training.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Thought I start a thread on your hobbies that have involved exercise over your years. Quite interesting looking back at what occupied your time exercise and hobby wise over the decades.

Aged 3-9

Cycling and climbing trees were my main hobbies involving exercise at this point. Did ballet and tap dancing. Started biking down woods on tracker bikes. Early school trips hiking with overnights in YHA.

Aged 10-19

Cycling and hill walking. Did my first bivvy and camping trips aged 12 but usually just over a weekend. Did Offas Dyke with the college my dad lectured at. Skate boarding. Tracker bikes down woods.

Age 20-29

Cycling and back packing. Got into long distance backpacking and ticked a few of the long distance paths off in this time. Such as Pennine Way, West Highland Way, Cambrian Way etc. First trips to the Alps and Himilayas walking and trekking. Started rock climbing and more serious winter mountaineering.

Age 30-39

Really got into my climbing with multiple trips to Alps, USA, Canada, Africa, Himalayas to go climb a few mountains. Ice climbing in the winter. Still cycling and hill walking at home. Got into multi day mountain bike off road point to point tours of up to a week. Spent 19 months travelling round world visiting all 7 continents plus Arctic.

Age 40-49

Transitioned back from primarily mountain bike to road bike. Did some road bike tours and discovered audax. Still some mtn bike tours in my early 40s. Spent more time in Dolomites and less in Alps after I discovered Via Ferrata. Alps or Dolomites for two weeks each year.

Age 50+

Mountain bike died. Primarily audax, a few road bike tours, and hill walking. Trips to Alps and Dolomites less frequent. Every other year. Taken bikes out to both places to ride a few of the passes. Bought my first recumbent. Primarily ride a recumbent now.

Age 60.

Rapidly approaching

Plan for more bike tours of a week or longer. Likely on the recumbent. Due to its comfort over long distance. Plan for some bike tours in Alps etc. Revive the hill walking and possibly easier rock climbs.
WoW impressive :bravo:

Drago

Legendary Member
Over simplified, but...00's, walking, running, cycling.

10's, cycling, fighting, running from the law. Boxing in my late teens, thanks to the Army - I didn't want to and was never very good.

20's, body building, cycling, tae kwon do.

30's, competitive power lifting, cycling, running, tae kwon do.

40's, ditto the above, albeit id stopped competitive lifting and binned off the TKD by mid 40's. Binned off running age 48 due to arthritis in my big toe, which is f****ng painful to run on.

50's, lifting for fun and functional fitness, cycling, vigorous sex in unusual positions. Also kayaking, but not at any real level of exertion, and not while having sex.

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Up to age 10. Horse riding, cycling, running, ballet which stopped abruptly when my feet started to turn outwards. swimming.

10-16. Cycling, horses, swimming, cross country running and hurdling. Did a bit of 1500m because the teacher was short on a team and I was a ‘useful sort’. Kayaking with the Girl Guides. Swimming, more freaking swimming.

17-30. Horses, competitively to bring on 3 day eventers. Cycled for fun, aerobics bit of weights. Ran marathons had a PB of 3:17:02. Stopped swimming when I left home/school as parents were not able to force me to do it any longer.

30s. Occasionally horses, running, swimming with a social group in a pool, open water swimming because I liked it, rock climbing, cycling, started triathlon and did a couple of half Ironman events.

40s. Stopped running entirely (tore Achilles) cycled, rock climbing (indoors and outdoors), bit of hiking, occasional horse riding, social swimming, body max & aerobic type classes. Bit of weights. Rollerblading and roller derby.

50s. Cycling, HIIT classes, weighs. I did learn to row (scull) but prefer kayaks. Might start swimming (open water) again.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Age 4-8, Judo. Stopped as the club closed.

Age 8-40, Boxing, Muay Thai. Stopped due to a back and hip injury, not helped by coming off my snowboard at an almighty rate of knots. I suppose all that time getting the crap kicked out of me would result in a karmic payback.😄

Age 9 - now, Cycling.

Age 14-now, Weight Training.
Age 14. Are you a leaping?

0-10 First bike at around 6 and riding the two miles to school each day. Lots of walking and getting lost in the woods.

10-20 Started playing basketball first day of secondary school. Being over 6ft tall at age 11 coach picked me for the team first games lesson.

15 Moved to Cornwall picked up surfing and would surf most days. Still playing basketball and join the village cricket team.

16 Started cycling with friends across the length and breadth of Cornwall.

20-30 Still playing basketball as I start Uni. Picked up rock climbing for a few years. Bought first mtb to explore Welsh mountains. Also started hiking and bivvy camping.

25 Still playing basketball, even getting to train with the Reading Rockets now and then. Would spend most weekends driving somewhere to surf, mountain bike or both. Started racing MTB.

30-40 Lots of cycling, mtb trips to Scotland, USA, Morocco. Surfing occasionally while living in Ireland. Lots of mtb'ing around the Wicklows. Moved to USA and started Triathlons.

40-50 Surfing only occasionally. Racing Cat 2 and sometimes Cat 1 in local mtb series. Travel to places like Utah, Whistler, Colorado for mtbing.

50s Getting into gravel riding, training for first 100 mile race. Thinking of started triathlons again. Still mtbing 2-4 hours a week. Plus a few miles on the road bike here and there. Teaching my daughter how to surf. Bought a foil kite to learn how to fly it so I can pick kite surfing next summer.

That was fun trying to remember what I've done. I missed stuff like running, rugby, football, skateboarding, paddle boarding, kayaking and even skiing a couple of times.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Huh!?

Sorry but what is a leaping?
Finally a question i can answer with confidence...

Leaping is best demonstrated with an image.

This is leaping.

tion-leaping-jumping-frog-go-leading-way-116130749.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Up to 16
Cycling, Rugger and Cross country running'

16 -50
Cycling backpacking/hill walking*

51+
not a lot since I broke my femur.:sad:

* Maz descibes my camping trips as a pub crawl with a tent though.

Top Bottom