Your Least Favourite Hill Climb of 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Limber Hill in the north York Moors.

It's short but b**tard steep at the best of times. The end of the C2C sportive, with 140 hilly miles in my legs on the hottest day of the year was not the best of times.

I pushed. It still hurt.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The Halton Moor climb near Skipton on the Dales/Bowland forum ride at the end of June this year. It is fairly tough though not a real killer BUT... I had put weight on and was trying to disguise my paunch by keeping my gilet on. Conditions were really warm and I hadn't eaten or drunk enough. I started to overheat, dehydrate, and bonk at the same time! The others had ridden on ahead but I slowly ground to a halt and dismounted before I fell off my bike. I finally took the damn gilet off and started eating and drinking, but didn't recover until the climb was over.

@Sea of vapours and @Littgull show how it should be done...
SoV and Littgull show how to climb Halton Moor (1).jpg

I show how NOT to do it...
ColinJ shows how NOT to climb Halton Moor.jpg

And the price I paid... :laugh:
ColinJ fights for life after nightmare ascent of Halton Moor.jpg

:okay:

ExpatTyke

Yorkshireman in Deepest Somerset
Cimla Hill towards the end of the Dragon Ride. Short compared to the other climbs, but a nasty sting in the tail with three previous climbs in the legs.

The first part goes straight out of Neath town centre too so the traffic is unpleasant.

Mike_P

Guru
East bound climb on the Way of the Roses up to the turning for Brimham Rocks which needed sections of pushing the bike, not that usual for me admittedly, but on this instance some rear seat passenger in a passing car screamed That's Lazy at me. The irony of the situation eventually dawned on me.

13 rider

Guru
Cimla Hill towards the end of the Dragon Ride. Short compared to the other climbs, but a nasty sting in the tail with three previous climbs in the legs.

The first part goes straight out of Neath town centre too so the traffic is unpleasant.
Forgot that one ,should be easy compared to the others you've done but a that tougher than you think

ukbabz

Über Member

was thinking just the same, that was not pleasant.

Or Kop hill just after the first feed stop on day 2 of the London revolution was a leg & lung burner.

slow scot

Veteran
From Kirriemuir we took the more direct road up Glen Prosen to the wonderful independent hostel at the end of the Glen. This is the road to the west of river. There are some steep bits, but very beautiful. Our day had started in Montrose, so a wee bit tired.
The next day we climbed over the Cairnwell from the south. The highest pass in Scotland, but in that direction it has a horrible last kilometre. That climb is my "nasty" moment of 2019.

From Kirriemuir we took the more direct road up Glen Prosen to the wonderful independent hostel at the end of the Glen. This is the road to the west of river. There are some steep bits, but very beautiful. Our day had started in Montrose, so a wee bit tired.
The next day we climbed over the Cairnwell from the south. The highest pass in Scotland, but in that direction it has a horrible last kilometre. That climb is my "nasty" moment of 2019.
Have gone over the Cairnwell Pass a few times, the stretch you describe does indeed provide a nasty kick, all the worse for being able to see it ramping up farther down the valley. Fun going the other way though ^_^

slow scot

Veteran
Have gone over the Cairnwell Pass a few times, the stretch you describe does indeed provide a nasty kick, all the worse for being able to see it ramping up farther down the valley. Fun going the other way though ^_^
Such an ugly stretch of road for a pass between Cairngorm peaks. It could have been designed so much better. Add in a northerly wind for the complete hell!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Limber Hill in the north York Moors.
It's short but b**tard steep at the best of times.

I encountered this one for the 1st time earlier this year, plotted a ride to take some recognised climbs in, but messed up with my planning :sad: Missed one of the climbs I planned to do & did Limber hill twice :blush: towards the end of the ride I was descending & thought things looked familiar & then realised where I was heading. Bugger!! First time it wasn't too bad, but the 2nd time after only about 60 miles was bloody hard work

Hills, what hills? This year I bought an ebike! :laugh:
Edit: Just to be clear, I still work hard on hills, takes a fair bit of effort to hit that 15.5 mph speed restriction, even on a carbon framed (restricted 250W) ebike.

Top Bottom