Your life in local bike shops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here's mine...
70's to mid 80's, Birmingham/Solihull, first bikes from Scotts Cycles in Hall Green, then in my late teens as I got properly into it O.W.Hopkins, Priory Cycles, Tom Crowther, and Dorridge Cycles. Dorridge Cycles run by my clubmates in the Shirley RC Paul and Pauline. Tom Crowther had been one of the original partners in Mercians and used to sell their frames but with his own name on them. I still have a rather lovely Strada Speciale Mercian, the one with clover leaf cut outs, that I bought from him at the time.
Early 80's, brief spell at Bristol Uni, Overbury's and Fred Bakers. I think it was in Fred Bakers that I encountered my first £1000 bike, a gold lacquer on chrome Colnago, looked amazing.
Late 80's to mid 90's, Derby, go to shop was Mercians, fabulous shop bedecked with dozens of beautifully custom painted frames hanging up. Also frequented a bit of a disorganised shop in the city centre, might have been called Wildes (?), he appeared not to always know the price of what he was selling and would ask the customer what they thought the price would be.
Anyone remember any of these ? Are any of them still going ? What were your early shops ?

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Same Birmingham shops as you - but in the '60s. :thumbsup:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Joe Cleminson's in Darlington during my teenage years. Halfords for their value for money Carerra range of bikes for my offspring. Woodrup Cycles :wub: in Leeds for the past ten years.

subaqua

What’s the point
stevensons in Buckley. a proper bike shop with a tin shack on the end. was a sad day when it got demolished for the new shiny one.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Robertsons all sports and Coltons cycles peterborough..70's80's..Bristows cycles , all good shops, Bristows is still going ..
Rutland cycles , Crc ,Merlins have been my go to recentely for new complete bikes but I use Bristows and Rutland at fineshade often.
greenwheel cycles for road bike shoes pedals some odds and sods.
never used a shop for repairs as im able to do it all

Brandane

Legendary Member
Mid 60's, John McAinsh LBS in Rothesay, Isle of Bute.
Mid 70's, Dales Cycles in Maryhill Road, Glasgow.
2015 and it's still Dales Cycles! They have moved at some point in the last 40 years to Dobies Loan.
Repairs and servicing are 100% DIY, with mail order parts from Wiggle or ChainReaction.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Finch Cycles, Reigate for purchase & maintenance. Halfords for pumps, oil & occasional bits of clothing. Wiggle. Tredz. CRC & sports direct for lighting, tyres & clothing - all from 2014 to now :blush:

Besides that, I used a market trader in my youth for tyres, inner tubes & puncture repair kits...wasn't too concerned with maintenance on a BMX, way back when in the 80s & 90s. No bike from the mid 90's to 2014 and I'm not one to pop in for a chat, so no bike shops were frequented, though Halfords has been handy for car bits (tsk)

Top Bottom