Your measurements and your frame size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lemmy

Hi all,
I'm looking at a road bike on ebay. It's a 22" frame, with a 22" top tube and 32" stand-over height. I'm just under 5'10" and have an inseam of about 32.5" - 33". (I measured this with the book method where you stand barefoot against a wall and push a book up into your crotch *cough* , pretending it's a saddle, then measure the distance from the top of the book to the floor.)

I'm not sure about buying the bike because I think maybe I need a 21" frame.

Could you post your measurements and frame size (road bike) to give me an idea of the range of fits?
Thanks!

e-rider

crappy member
there are many ways to measure a bike and many types of frame geometry too. You really need to try before you buy.

FYI my road bike is a 60cm. It has a 58.5cm top tube, 19cm head tube. 73 degree angle seat tube .....

And I'm 6'2" 34 inside leg

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
If only it was as straight forward as that. Does it have a sloping tob tube , is it close enough to try before you buy ?

On a straight top tube frame my best fit is a 54. I am 5'7" with a 29" inch inside leg.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Simply to answer your question, Im 6'2" and ride a 58cm CAAD9 and a 58cm Fuji Track.

But different bikes are different in geometry so you cant really follow rules to generally.

OP
OP
L

lemmy

Sadly it's too far away to try. But it's an older 531 tube road bike, with a straight top tube.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Get down to a local LBS get sat on some surly's or other retro style road bike with similar geometry and have them size you up. Dont worry they wont try to force a sale on you.

jimboalee

I am 5'8" with a Leg Length of 32.25" when measured with the Sitting Height Ratio method.

My 1975 Peugeot is 57 cm and my crotch just touches the top tube when I'm on my heels. The clearance is OK when I'm tippie toes on the shoeplates.

My Dawes Giro 500 is a Dawes 52 ( centre to top of a sloping tube ) which is equivalent to a 55cm Horiz toptube frame. Crotch clearance is OK.

My Specialized SWorks is a Spesh 54cm size. It is nigh-on perfect.

OP
OP
L

lemmy

Hi Jimboalee,
So your Peugeot is about 22.5" and your Dawes about 22" - are they both a comfortable ride for you?

Thanks for all the responses so far...

brockers

I'm 170cm (5'7'') 'tall' with a 79cm inseam, and 70.5cm BB axle to saddle top (along the seat tube). My steel bike is a 52cm ST/54cm TT and my carbon sloping jobby is a 53cm equivalent ST. I'd say a 54cm frame might be a tad on the small side (but OK for a pro 'racing-fit' - top riders often use a size down for a greater aero position), and a 55-56cm sounds about right for you.

karan733

Im a 5' 9'', inside leg of 33'' and im riding a 54cm. I havent been sized up for it, as I too bought it off ebay and it was 192 miles away before I bought it :tongue:

Fit seems good so far, playing around with stem lengths and saddle positions to get it spot on though. Having said that, I think I may have had it spot on last week and now tinkered it away again...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Judging by your measurements, I'd say that frame sounds about right - if anything a tad on the small side rather than too large. I certainly wouldn't go down to a 21".

Grasen

when I grew up about 100 years ago I was fed italian morals.
they stated that the frame should be as small as possible, minus a bit.
can remember in the old days riding with a pro who had his seat post about 1 cm in the frame. I asked him what if the frame broke - "well I get a new one"

anyway I am 180-181 cm and all my frames over the said last 100 years have been/are 55 or 54 cm level top tube.

OP
OP
L

lemmy

Hmm. I have a feeling I should err on the small side. I really like the short reach on my Brompton. The ebay bike is such a nice one though ;)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Smaller isnt neccessarily better.If you have a smaller frame you will need more seatpost extended which will put the seat even higher compared to the bars.

This head down arse up position is fine for some people but you need to be supple or could suffer back and neck pain.

You cant compare different types of bikes.My Trek hybrid is a 51cm and my Scott Racer is a 56cm Inside leg crotch to floor is 31inches at 5 ft 9 inches tall.

i needed a shorter stem to get comfy on the Scott but preferred that to a smaller frame with more seatpost up.

Top Bottom