Your opinion on Exercise Bikes......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
In my experience you have to be very self motivated and focused to use an exercise bike most of them tend to become wardrobe extensions with clothes hanging from them until the inevitable ebay listing !! As you say if its your only option then I guess only you know if you will use it enough to justify buying one, however cheap. Good luck, but as others have said out on the road even if only once or twice a week would get my vote over the boredom offered by indoor exercising

Very much this.

I do have an magnetic brake exercise bike, but its use is sporadic. I'll generally get it out (indeed, yes, remove the various items of clothes stacked upon/hanging from it!) if the weather is really a shocker or sometimes I will gently roll it for a 10 minute period for some kind of warm down after a hard push on the road. But does it form a consistent part of an exercise routine to justify its place in the house?

Erm, no.

It is a boredom factor. 10 miles on an EB feels like an age, and they aren't generally the most comfortable of things either!

MarkF

Guru
I don't have room to fit a full size bike and turbo, it'l be a tight fit with an exercise bike!. But i'd rather risk £40 on a cheaper one in the event i might not use it! plus the wife won't let me spend any more! :stop:haha! But cheers for your opinion buddy.

Suit yourself, but several different people have now given you the very same advice, for the money you are looking to spend, you'll be buying a piece of junk (unless you get auction lucky) which won't be fit for the purpose that you require.

The suggestion of weights was a better idea.

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

ok, well thanks everybody for your opinions and taking the time to reply to my thread. You really are a friendly bunch! :thumbsup: but now i'm even more undecided than before! lol. The best thing is a bike, the second best thing is a Turbo...... An exercise bike is kinda pointless! (unless its a good'n) I just want a starting point. My eventual goal is to get out and join people on the road, Having seen photos from local cycling clubs i think it looks great when everyone is out and about wearing the club lycra colours! Hopefully one day i will be apart of something like that! :bicycle:
Thanks again, Gary.

Diggs

Veteran
One additional thought, is there a freecycle group in your area? It's a bit hit and miss but we've picked some stuff up and given away a few of the kids bits. I have seen a few exercise machines on ours, haven't seen many but it's always possible a bike may pop up

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

One additional thought, is there a freecycle group in your area? It's a bit hit and miss but we've picked some stuff up and given away a few of the kids bits. I have seen a few exercise machines on ours, haven't seen many but it's always possible a bike may pop up
Never thought of that... Cheers, i will have a mooch after weekend. (having a deserved few days away) :cheers:

Tiberius Baltar

If you are looking at improving your fitness and dont wish to leave the house and dont have cash to spare then your only real option in my opinion is a skipping rope. I know that it sounds strange at first but if you keep at it you will find its a really good way of getting a quick workout in and the better you get the more you enjoy it. The weight simply drops off you and your getting a full range cardio workout. Pick up a weighted rope and your arms get a good workout too. Just a thought and probably a lot easier than a cycle machine you won't use!

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

If you are looking at improving your fitness and dont wish to leave the house and dont have cash to spare then your only real option in my opinion is a skipping rope. I know that it sounds strange at first but if you keep at it you will find its a really good way of getting a quick workout in and the better you get the more you enjoy it. The weight simply drops off you and your getting a full range cardio workout. Pick up a weighted rope and your arms get a good workout too. Just a thought and probably a lot easier than a cycle machine you won't use!
Something i've never thought of that, I will give it a thought! cheers matey,

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

Right, after chatting to the Boss ( The wife ) I have decided that anytime in the next few months i won't be able to get out! So i have upped my budget for a ''used'' Exercise Bike to around £100 (maximum). I know many think they are No good, But i have decided i want one, My next question is ''Are there any Training Routines''?? Rather than just gentle pedalling for an hour. Also would i benefit from any compression type shorts or would just normal Lycra shorts (Non-Padded) be sufficient. Or do i need to purchase a Padded pair? Cheers Guys. Gaz.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
If you plan to accomplish some miles,you'll probably like some shorts that are padded and a good saddle for the exercise bike . And a reading stand . Maybe some Orwell or Hardy .

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

If you plan to accomplish some miles,you'll probably like some shorts that are padded and a good saddle for the exercise bike . And a reading stand . Maybe some Orwell or Hardy .
Hopefully i will do a lot of miles, so i will opt for the padded variety. As for the seat i will see how i get on. Thanks for your advice :thumbsup:

Top Bottom