Your original home town.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I left mine in 1970 when I came over here. In all of those 52 years, the town has changed a hell of a lot. When I go back, I feel more like a tourist now as many of the landmarks of my youth have gone.
The grocery shop I grew up in until 1963 has gone and is now a private house. My friend's mother's hairdresser's salon is now a block of flats.
The main square in Orleans, famous for its statue of Jeanne D'Arc on her horse is now pedestrianised but the statue remains of course.
A well known street in my days, known as the red district area is now a posh street with good boutiques.
A tobacco factory I have worked in for 6 months is now a large supermarket.
The town has also expended so much that the nearby villages which had fields in between is now built up all the way.
Roundabouts have also replaced crossroads.
Of course, despite the fact that the town has changed so much, it is still the place where I grew up with happy memories.
How about yours?

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I vowed never to go back to my home town again.
It has changed so much that it upset me last time I was there.
Wouldn't care if Putin nuked it.

Sharky

Guru
I emigrated from Merseyside to Kent in 1969. I occasionally go back as I still have relatives, but the last few times it's been to funerals.

My old school has gone, the corner shop gone, the school cross country run is now a safari park. Many things have changed or disappeared, but my old 10 mile TT course is still there and have travelled back a few times to see how close I could get to the younger me.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I left Nottingham in 1988 and have rarely been back since, with my parents moving away a few years later. I've been occasionally to visit a few relatives, a funeral and a couple of events there.

With son no. 2 potentially going to university this year in Nottingham I've been down more in the last 6 months than in 30 years, with him joining in with some of their cycling club activities.

I left Nottingham in 1988 and have rarely been back since, with my parents moving away a few years later. I've been occasionally to visit a few relatives, a funeral and a couple of events there.

With son no. 2 potentially going to university this year in Nottingham I've been down more in the last 6 months than in 30 years, with him joining in with some of their cycling club activities.
A fine city Nottingham. Nice size.

D

Deleted member 23692

Nottingham born and bred. Moved to Bristol for 3 years in the late 80's before moving back to Nott'm until relocating to Carlisle in 2005 here. I've been ever since.

I go back periodically to catch up with family and friends, but I'd never move back.

A fine city Nottingham. Nice size.
It was, but not any more. :sad:

Proud of my Nottingham roots, but not of what it's become

Nottingham born and bred. Moved to Bristol for 3 years in the late 80's before moving back to Nott'm until relocating to Carlisle in 2005 here. I've been ever since.

I go back periodically to catch up with family and friends, but I'd never move back.

It was, but not any more. :sad:

Proud of my Nottingham roots, but not of what it's become
what do you think has been spolled?
It was a pioneer of the rebirth of trams.
Broadway arts cinema was great when I last knew it.
I gather the Broadmarsh has gone/is going which is good.
I had the impression that a lot of the bad stuff was done to Nottingham a fair old while before you left - loss of some fine old buildings, the criminal obliteration of the old street pattern (including a hill which I forget the name of) under the Broadmarsh.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I was born on the top of Shooters Hill, SE London, in the War Memorial hospital two years after the middle of the last century. Grew up in Eltham Park, where there were no pubs and only one Off Licence, built on the bridge over the railway near the station. The 'No alcohol' edict, I believe, was due to the original land owner being a Scottish chap whose religion/beliefs abhorred the devil's brew! (Hence most of the roads in the area being Scottish)
Eltham High Street, however, made up for it with 13 pubs. Not many finished a pub crawl there :laugh:
I've not been back for many a year having left the area when I was 17 due to the scene I wanted to escape, and the 27 year old lady I was involved with was getting a bit too intense :blush:

I lived two roads away from Bob Hope, the 'American' TV & film star, but never knew him.

I might pop down for a sentimental ride around there sometime soon. 🚲

Tenkaykev

Guru
Birmingham born of Irish and Welsh parents. Moved to Dorset in 1978 and only go back to visit family. Have family in Edinburgh and Leeds, Edinburgh is probably the only city that I’ve considered moving to but I prefer the milder climate of the south coast.
While we’re on the subject, spare a thought for the people of Brigadoon, they can only return every hundred years 😉

D

Deleted member 23692

Drury Hill :okay:

IMO it's lost its identity and these days and pretty much controlled by the two universities and a council that lets them do what they want. Between Nottingham and Trent Universities there are around 70,000 students in and around the city, plus the 15,000 full timers at New College. That's a big chuck on the inner city devoted to bedsit land and populated by folk who don't care where they live, as they are just passing through while they get their degree.

I grew up in the Forest Fields/Hyson Green area of the city so I'm well accustomed to urban deprivation, but the massive student influx and the landlord's who own the properties have pushed it to a whole new level.

It's now got all the hallmarks of a big city - guns, drugs and tram.

Carlisle has it's problems but you'll never get headlines in the Nottingham post like this... and long may it continue

Top Bottom