1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your phone calls are no longer private

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Jim, 1 Oct 2007.

1. Jim

Jim Senior Member

<>

2. John Ponting

John Ponting Über Member

you're still safe - provided your partner doesn't get to listen to your calls.

3. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

So what, I don't car e if they listen to the calls either, they'll be very bored.....

If it stops another bomb down the road from me, like on 7/7, then it's a good thing.

4. Monst

Monst New Member

I can...good photo tho..90's style bloke using a phone whilst driving?....tut....modern journalism..I don't know....

5. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

What happens with 'PAY AS U GO' where you don't need to register them ?

6. sheddy

sheddy Veteran

or find out how much time you waste on here.....

7. KitsuneAndy

KitsuneAndy New Member

I dont care to be honest.. I dont make any dodgy phonecalls.

Anyway, on reading the article, they aren't listening to your calls or recording them, they're just going to make it so that telephone companies have to keep a record of calls you make but not the actual call content.

8. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

They have them all for billing purposes anyway, just need to be available for investigation of nefarious purposes, I guess. I trust the government, and I'll throw in my DNA too...

9. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

And according to the Today programme, yesterday, they've been doing it on a voluntary basis for years anyway...

10. KitsuneAndy

KitsuneAndy New Member

Wouldn't surprise me.

Any financial institutions have to keep records for atleast 7 years incase of any need to investigate anything. Some companies elect to keep them for longer.

11. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

Telecoms companies have been keeping the records - but mainly for billing dispute purposes. What is concerning about this new development is that over 600 organisations will have access to those records, including the tax man, your local council, and (potentially) me. Not only that, but the amount of information that is to be kept is more detailed than that normally kept by the telecoms companies.