Your race today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Tenacious Sloth I know quite a few people more competitive than I, unfortunately I just don't have the genetic gifts to ever stand on a podium or the time to train properly, I just commute. However I do like to compete, I just have learnt to be a gracious loser on occassion and not take it too seriously and compete with a smile on my face if possible. It is nice to really annoy my team mate though,( he really does spit feathers) I am a stocky ish 5ft 5 he is way over 6ft and still can't understand how I have managed to out do him on the last 2 races. I do have a better bike which helps, fat 29er (note not a true fat bike) with rigid carbon forks does not do him too many favours)

Yesterday was the regional champs on the most technical course of the year at Hadliegh, I am familiar with it but knew I could not do some of the features. I managed to practice the course on the saturday and was unable to do 4 of the A lines. By the end of practice I had got it down to 2. Knocking Oak Tree Drop and Triple Trouble off the list. I still couldn't do Leap of Faith and Deans Drop.
On the practice lap on Sunday just before the race I managed to stop the front wheel on a rock on Triple Trouble ( not enough speed) and went straight over the bars. Luckily I had both knee and elbow guards on, and got away with a skin scrape of the shoulder and upper arm. Bike came off worse ripped saddle, scratched forks and distorted rim. ( pictures below)
This put me in a nervous state of mind for the race and as soon as the gun went off I wanted it over. I had too good a start and easily got myself to 8th so I slowed on purpose as I did not want to be near the front when we hit the technical features as I would be a moving road block. I got to Oak tree drop and managed it but took the wrong line and nearly stacked it at the bottom, so decided not to try it again. ( picture below) I then spent the rest of the race just trying to survive and praying for the end. I only got competitive on the 3rd lap when I went round in a private race with another guy. Halfway around the 4th I decided I was being a lazy git and pushed hard for 5 minutes leaving him behind.
I dropped 4 places compared to the last race and only 8 finishers where behind me. ( others did not even bother starting after riding the course). Briefly I considered binning MTB XC altogether but that thought did not last too long. Off to practice with the club tonight!
oak tree drop.jpg
forks.jpg
wheel.jpg
saddle.jpg

Here is a picture of the feature I fell off . triple trouble, I was on the line this guy is on. which is considered the B line, the Olympic A line was shut for the race , the cCline is out of shot on the right.
triple trouble.jpg

Todays was another round of mud sweat and gears XC racing at Carver Barracks. When I turned up in the afternoon I was told the club riders in the morning races had paid more visits to the ambulance than the podium. A young lads leg was swathed in bandages.

Since the last race I have a new rim on the rear wheel which has been troublesome, tubeless tyre seems not to like the rim and suddenly lets go of air so I was carrying air cannisters. Also I had new shoes as I wrecked my old ones in the last race.
Practice lap was ok, chose to use the B lines in light of the number of injuries in the morning.
The start was on a long gravel road, the elite, sport and vet races started before us. The vets race shot off only to turn into a huge crash people coming off on the gravel. One guy looked to have a broken collar bone, one of our club riders got his knee sliced by probably a brake disc with knee cap showing through, nasty! ( I have just seen a picture on facebook, gruesome) Made a total of 4 knee injuries for the club. Strangely I am the only person who wears knee and elbow armour.

So the grand vet race got held up and we were worried the elite riders were going to come booming by any moment but no we got away before they arrived. I stamped on the pedals and what a suprise all the air disapeared from the rear tyre. So I had to grab a cannister from the saddle bag and started off a couple of minutes or so behind everyone else. I was mad as hell and manged to catch and pass 4 riders by the end of the first lap with the elites starting to lap me as well.
Then I started to have problems cleating in and out, the cleats had come loose on my left foot, decided to press on, should have stopped to sort it really.It compromised the race as I had to ensure I never clipped out. There were a lot of short sharp dips like small bomb holes and my forks bottomed out and made nasty creaky noises about 3 times a lap. I was wondering what else was going to go wrong.

As it was I started to warm to the course, managed to stay upright and my last lap was my fastest . 11 people behind me but 24 in front.
Next race is 1 day after I come back from holiday so I wil be full of beer and ice cream. Only other interesting thing was my team mate asked whether is was interested in doing the Bike Transalp or Swiss Epic Enduro's. I will have to think about that.

Since my last post I have done 2 Xc races. The first was the day after I came back from Holiday. Hadnt sat on a bike for 2 weeks but managed a decent result, 21st. I had got into my usual performance hole and raced the same guy most of the way around, cocked it up on the last technical section and he beat me. My team mate was not so lucky, fellow came off in front of him on the A line of a 7ft drop. He fell off the racing line but stood up and walked back onto the racing line in front of me team mate who ended up damaging his leg, race over. He was so pissed off he left the circuit hurredly without saying good bye. No photo's of me, only one photographer there.
Well now to the race this weekend at the picturesque setting of Icksworth House. My team mate turned up but had sacked his semi fat bike and was on a proper borrowed 29er. This was going to be interesting, now we would be on a level playing field and we would see if he could make up the 6 places on me.
Well the start was up a huge hill. at the top he was 3 places behind but then I was not to see him again for 3 laps, unhappily he was stood beside the track. His knee had given out due to the injury picked up in the last race.
Anyway I gained another 6 places over the first lap and ended up virtually racing one other person. I would catch him, then cock up and have to start all over again. The race was 18 miles long, I spend most of it chasing him.
Below me cocking up again with a rather suprised look on my face
supriseddownloadfile.php.jpg

This is how it should be done apparently, helps if you are 17 with no fear.
laddownloadfile.php.jpg

Anyway I finally got it together on the 2nd to last lap and was gaining on him, no cock ups . Halfway through the last lap I was on his wheel. I just needed a rest and I would attempt to pass him on the line. On the 2nd to last feature he decided to take the easier B line. I took the A line and was getting ahead. However I hit the feature below and my tubeless tyre burped and let all the air go. I still got over it but the race was over. ( picture below is from a lap with air in the front tyre.
29469798485_01011fe602_z.jpg

I still came out of the area in front but had to run the next feature and rode the last 100m on a flat front. Lost another 2 place and strangely was in 21st yet again. Still had a smile on my face though and got some cheers for riding it home on a flat front. 2 CX opening season races next week then 3 weeks to the last XC race of the season.
flatdownloadfile.php.jpg

Top Bottom