Your reaction to someone who told you they took 8 months to train for the London to Brighton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I do take your point, Blonde, but even for a brand new rider 8 months does seem particularly long for such a short ride. I would have expected 1-2 months of some regular effort being more than enough to complete the L2B.

As you say, the more bums on bikes the better.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Maybe they have a time they would like to complete it in?

Its nice to have an event to train for. Its good motivation. and whilst i agree, 8 months to train for L2B may seem excessive, if it keeps someones personal motivation up for that long then surely that is a good thing.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yes, training for a time would explain why he was so annoyed with the skater getting in his way, but not why he had the bad planning to leave so late when there was lots of traffic to hold him up. It's stupid to go fast on the L2B in my opinion, unless you leave super early to make it safe enough without the compressed thousands of cyclists.

Johnny Thin

There's a local organisation, Stourbug, run by Ru88ell off other forums. He trained a group of ladies over several months to do just 45 miles, from Stourbridge to Stratford, at a speed of about 9mph. As he once pointed out, there must be a huge need for this as even the slowest club run is about 12mph, way above the capability of most of the public.

gavintc

Guru
I don't really see your point. You could argue that I trained for 3 yrs for my last attempt at Ventoux. I know that my cycle fitness has progressed steadily over that time.

About 3 yrs ago, I did the Glasgow to Edinburgh ride (50 miles) on an old MTB. I was dead on arrival in Edinburgh and struggled to make the final 3 miles to my flat. But, it kindled an interest and here I am 3 yrs later and think nothing about doing a 50 mile training ride. I therefore think that anyone who sets out on one of these 'challenge' rides has made an important step to improving their fitness.

wafflycat

As we've got different levels of experience, what is a minor undertaking for one person can be a major test of fitness for another. At least they are out there on a bike doing some exercise. Credit them for that.

I did 65 miles on Friday (cycled home from Cambridge). I've got many a friend who thinks that because I can do that, I'm superfit - and nothing could be further from the truth. Basically some people can't envisage the distances it is easy to cycle. This can be for many reasons, including but not limited to, not being cyclists themselves, or not doing exercise at all (or only in a very limited way), or for having bikes which are BSOs and so darned uncomfortable they *can't* do any more than a few miles as it's too uncomfortable on a BSO.

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks, got it now. :blush:

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
My belief is that anyone in reasonable health could do L2B without training and given how crowded the route is, doing it at any serious speed is dangerous. So, to me, putting in training for it is pointless. I did it once when I had not been on bike for 2 years -and I was'n't doing lots of other sport.

But then I caused offence a few years back when a relative suggested doing it and I said it was too easy, and a few years ago the Etape du Tour was filling up with people who thought it was the L2B but a bit longer. I think that maybe it is easy to forget that a beginner may not make the most sensible choices, but if the complainant was an experienced cyclist then he's a total wally.

spire

To the point
Anyone with a moderate level of fitness should be able to do L2B at their own pace without any training. The proviso , of course, is that many won't be able to cycle up Ditchling. On that note, it always amazes me that so many young, fit-looking people with all the gear push their bikes at this point.

Top Bottom