Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just 9.86 miles today to the shops and J Arthur and back. I was going to buy a sound bar for the TV but realised it was to big for the bike! I took the Whyte hybrid, after nearly 200 miles last week on the MTB and Road Bike it felt strange being back on it, in a good way.

image.jpg

Probably the most boring route in the world!

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
@Rob3rt
You're a glutton for punishment.......:laugh:

gavgav

Guru
A week off work and so something a little different for me today.

I was collected by @Rickshaw Phil and Doug at 09:15 and bikes were loaded onto the car and we set off for Bewdley in Worcestershire and specifically the Severn Valley Railway station. We arrived in good time to collect tickets, etc, and the train pulled in on time at 10:44 and bikes were loaded into the Guard's Van, as we set off for Bridgnorth on the Steam Railway. Unfortunately I managed to spear the back of my leg with one uncapped end of my Mudguard attachments and so we had to get the TCP out on the train. A few minutes later there were comments from passengers about a cleaning fluid smell............:whistle:

Doug and @Rickshaw Phil waiting for the train to arrive at Bewdley
IMG_0628.JPG

Enjoying the Ride on the SVR
IMG_0631.JPG

We pulled into Bridgnorth at around 12:00 and after setting bikes up, we headed up to the Castle for a brief look and then down into Lowtown and onto the NCN 45, in the direction of Eardington. There is some serious climbing on this route and so it was fairly slow progress as we wound our way around to Chelmarsh and onto the Jack Mytton Way, which had been resurfaced and so wasn't too muddy.

We descended into Hampton Loade and decided it was time for lunch and so we pulled into the SVR station there and enjoyed lunch whilst watching the trains pass through.

We made a small adjustment to my seating position, as it hadn't been very comfortable on my last few rides and I managed to spear the inside of my kneecap on the same ruddy mudguard!!! :wacko: TCP came out again and proper blood was drawn!

No real harm was done though and so we joined the off road Mercian Way path that undulates up and down, right next to the SVR railway track and then up the steep climb to the Severn Valley Country Park at Alveley. We didn't stop, as it was drizzling a little here and so headed down one of the few downhill sections into Arley, reaching 29.8 mph into the wind.

Of course, the only problem with downhill is that you have to go uphill again and that is certainly the case here, as there is a very steep and long climb up past the station and onto Button Oak, which was hard going.

Next was more climbing, but off road again as we reached the Wyre Forest and wound our way up to the top and then down a lovely section of gravel track that enables good speed to be kept up almost all the way to Bewdley, where we descended through the town, getting held up by traffic trying to negotiate two buses blocking the road. We arrived back at the SVR station and had thoroughly enjoyed the day, missing almost all of the rain that had been forecast as well!

Post ride pint
IMG_0641.JPG

22.61 miles
9.0 avg mph (very slow, but 1815 ft of climbing and lots of off road sections is my excuse!)

Attachments

• IMG_0629.JPG
    IMG_0629.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0630.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0633.JPG
    IMG_0633.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0634.JPG
    IMG_0634.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 40

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
A week off work and so something a little different for me today. [...] I managed to spear the back of my leg with one uncapped end of my Mudguard attachments and so we had to get the TCP out on the train. A few minutes later there were comments from passengers about a cleaning fluid smell............:whistle: [...] I managed to spear the inside of my kneecap on the same ruddy mudguard!!! :wacko: TCP came out again and proper blood was drawn!
Sorry but :giggle:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Had a nice ride out to Hatfield Heath on Sunday, Four of us went we split from the main club ride as the group got to big, must have been 30 riders, so we let them go to Norton Heath, my other half and a friend were both on new bikes, so they were both getting used to them, No problem with bikes although my other half was not sure about the gearing, going up from a compact to a 52 tooth. she loved it on the flat she could sit on my wheel and stay with me, but up hill was a different story. 50 mile round trip, we had to be back for 1pm for a birthday party at local pub, managed to down a few pints of bitter, was a nice day. Plus a pic of the girls and there bikes.
20140601_101419-Copy.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, posted today as I only got back this afternoon from Norwich as we stayed overnight after the ride..
The 6 of us riding, and two missus's set of from Northampton at 04:00 for the Norwich100. The weather forecast last week was, to be honest.. cr*p. We thought then that we'd be in for a soaking. Fortunately, by Friday afternoon, it'd been updated to 'cloudy'. By Sunday Morning, it was wall to wall :sun:. Couldn't have asked for better weather for a ride!

DSC_2200.jpg

Five of the six of us, as one chap got through the start before they dropped the tape ready for the next bunch to depart..

We got under way just before 08:00 and were fairly soon out of the city and into some lovely countryside. The route took us through Reepham, Thursford, Wighton.

DSC_2217.jpg

Then we rode through the grounds of Holkham Hall, an official rest stop. We didn't stop for long though as we were all feeling quite fresh.
We then passed through Wells-next-the-Sea and the oddly named Stiffkey. Lunch stop for us was a mile off the registered route, bt we'd promised ourselves a 'snack' in Sherringham..

DSC_2218.jpg

Very tasty it was too! :mrpig:

We rested there for a while to let the 'snack' go down a bit then headed back onto the proper route into Cromer and along the coast road as far as Happisburgh .
Our next, and final, stop was at the Lighthouse Pub (where I didn't actually notice a lighthouse, but.. what the heck) where the landlord had buckets of ice cubes to add to the water bottles. Nice touch, I thought :thumbsup:

From here, we turned away from the head-on sea breeze and headed inland. It wasn't that strong a breeze, but on a long ride it sapped a bit of energy.

DSC_2220.jpg

Most of the roads back to the city were quiet narrow lanes like this. A pleasure to ride!

After 6 hrs 42 minutes, we crossed the finish line

DSC_2223.jpg

As a reward form the local brewery, they handed out some vouchers for the beer tent..

DSC_2230.jpg

^_^

We were surprised that we'd done just under 3,000' of climbing and that there's a Cat 4 hill on the route.
We've all decided that we're signing up for it next year as well. Cracking day out, well organised and with 3,500 plus riders out, a fair amount must have been raised for the British Heart Foundation.
We stayed the night at the Premier Inn and sampled the delights of Norwich beer and cider and then headed back home late morning after a bit of a lay in and a buffet breakfast.

norwich100.png

http://www.strava.com/activities/148156774

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As usual, @gavgav has beaten me to it but here's my version anyway:

We got to Bewdley in good time for the first train so were ready to load when it pulled in. Unfortunately Gav's bike slipped and gave him a bite so once all the bikes were stowed the TCP and cotton wool was broken out causing the comments already mentioned.

During the trip we had a couple of rather jerky stops so I returned to the guards compartment to check on the bikes where I found Doug's had fallen against Gav's causing some scratches to both.:dry: I should mention at this point that any time we do a ride that takes in Bridgnorth there is always some sort of incident. Today seemed to be keeping that "tradition" going.:rolleyes:

Once at Bridgnorth we started by heading up to have a look at the castle before dropping down to Low Town via Cartway and past the station again to follow the Mercian Way (NCN route 45). After my long ride yesterday the legs weren't entirely enthusiastic about climbing out of town and it was nice when we'd got over the first crest and had some easier riding.

Although none of the hills round this part of the county are notably big, there are lots of them and they are often surprisingly steep - especially on the lanes that Sustrans picked for their route. We therefore weren't quick on any of the climbs and it's fortunate that today was meant to be a leisurely day out.

Between Eardington and Hampton the route took us onto a section of bridleway which is also part of the Jack Mytton Way. Last time we came this way the section was extremely rough and pretty muddy on the low lying sections, so it was nice to see that since then the worst bits have been resurfaced - a great improvement.:thumbsup:

As Gav mentions, we paused for lunch at Hampton Loade station and were able to watch a couple of trains go past while we were there. Gav got bitten by his bike again, which led to the TCP being used a second time, then we headed along the trackside path and climbed through the Severn Valley Country Park (on the former site of Alveley Colliery - you'd never believe there used to be a coal mine here).

We didn't stop to enjoy the park but carried on to Arley along lanes that climb a bit more before the long descent down to the river. We had a pause at Arley station for photos then continued the long climb to Pound Green, Button Oak and into the Wyre Forest where there is a fabulous long descent on gravel roads that are smoother to ride than some of the tarmac we'd been on.:laugh: Our route through the forest then took us along the trackbed of the old Tenbury to Bewdley railway which gives 2 miles of pretty much dead-flat riding where we could cruise along pretty nicely. Shame the surface is a bit more mixed along here.

We had one last climb then the descent into Bewdley where I had a bus pull out in front of me and there were two more in the centre blocking traffic.

We were pretty lucky with the weather. Yesterday the forecast suggested we'd be rained on most of the day. As it turned out there was nothing but a bit of occasional drizzle until we were driving home when we passed through several downpours.

A pretty good 22.6 mile ride today and I'd recommend the route to anyone who is okay with a few hills (but maybe not on a skinny tyred bike though;)). We felt like we'd earned a drink at the pub on the way back.:cheers:

DSC0000963.jpg

Gav and Doug waiting for the train.

DSC0000975.jpg

At Bridgnorth - this is our engine running round ready for the next trip.

DSC0000979.jpg

At Bridgnorth castle. They don't make them like that nowadays.;)

DSC0000982.jpg

A nice view after the climbs at Eardington. The body of water is Chelmarsh Reservoir and is where we're headed next.

DSC0000987.jpg

Skirting round the reservoir.

DSC0000991.jpg

At Hampton Loade.

DSC0000997.jpg

One for @Mad Doug Biker: Western Courier pulls into Hampton Loade.

DSC0001000.jpg

Obstacles to overcome on the path by the railway: first the barrier then a steep little switchback climb.

DSC0001006.jpg

At Arley. There used to be a car ferry across the river here until the 1960s. Unfortunately nobody told the sat-nav map makers it isn't there any more.:giggle:
(It's okay for us though - there's a footbridge out of shot).

DSC0001018.jpg

Heading through the Wyre Forest. About 4 miles to Bewdley from here.

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just back in from a quick 5 mile leg turner as I thought I'd just get out for a quickie as I'm a bit tired but really ought to get out on my bike today. After about 3 miles I decided not to nip back and do the 5 mile route but to push on and do the 8 mile route. When I got to the turn point I thought 'oh sod it' and did the 11.5 mile route that I like a lot.
Between Wreningham & Hethel I rode alongside a Barn Owl. Well he (or she) was pacing me. There are a lot of Barn Owls around here or one with a gigantic territory. Ashamed to say that I don't know much about Barn Owls except that they are gorgeous to watch. Then from Hethel, skirting the very outside edge of Kenninghall towards Wymondham it was all bats. Lots of them or one really really busy one.

11.5 miles in 48 mins and change and 216 humungous feet of climbing.:laugh: Great ride.
I did get to Hethel and suddenly realise that I had forgotten my bidon. It was a cool evening with a few spits of rain so I've not got all dehydrated but I'll not be making a habit of forgetting.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
During the trip we had a couple of rather jerky stops so I returned to the guards compartment to check on the bikes to find Doug's had fallen against Gav's causing some scratches.:dry:
I have had that kind of problem in the past so I always carry bungee cords now when I am taking my bike by train. Of course, it is always possible that someone else comes along later and plonks an unsecured bike next to it, but at least you can make sure your own bike isn't going to move.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I have had that kind of problem in the past so I always carry bungee cords now when I am taking my bike by train. Of course, it is always possible that someone else comes along later and plonks an unsecured bike next to it, but at least you can make sure your own bike isn't going to move.
Yes, I had intended to take a bungee cord or two but forgot them.:rolleyes: I did have the bikes stowed nicely so that they should have been okay but when I checked on them it was clear they'd been rearranged after I'd gone.

gavgav

Guru
Yes, I had intended to take a bungee cord or two but forgot them.:rolleyes: I did have the bikes stowed nicely so that they should have been okay but when I checked on them it was clear they'd been rearranged after I'd gone.
I reckon it was that slightly strange guard we encountered! No wonder he scuttled off rather quickly at Bridgnorth!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom