Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toptom

image.jpg
image.jpg
Ride with @toptom & James.
I'm getting over a chest infection & James' legs are playing up a bit after his run a couple of days ago so we all decided to do a fairly flat ride out into Oxfordshire. We've ridden the route numerous times before and it is a favourite loop. I say flat, we have to get over the Chilterns first!
The weather was warm and sunny so best bike was dusted off & I met the lads at the usual spot. Within 5 minutes we were out of town & in the countryside riding quiet lanes. Into Berkhamsted and up hill to the lanes to Chesham, my lungs were holding out well & I had no problem with the going up bits. More rolling lanes & soon we were past Gt.Missenden and heading for Longdown Hill, the last climb before hitting Oxfordshire. The Chiltern 100 sportive was on today & we found ourselves mingled in with a few of the riders. There were some up ahead and a Merc convertible was waiting patiently behind them as they slugged up hill. I was gaining fast and was on the rear of the Merc "I can take him and the 3 riders" I thought to myself, so I did. Thats a first for me, overtaking a Merc up hill!
Lunch stop was after 53 miles at Waterperry Gardens, the cheese & gammon sandwich was lovely washed down with a coffee.
The return leg was rolling B roads with the Chiltern hills looming up in the distance. Out of Oxfordshire & into Buckinghamshire & a bast**d of a climb, its only short but does kick up a bit. After a quick stop at a garage for a can of coke we had 25 miles and one more climb to home.
I arrived home with 102 miles on the Garmin and the Wife is cooking a mexican beef stew with paprika roast potatoes. Happy Days!
View attachment 46631
It was a great ride long down hill was a blast over taking lot of the sportive riders here's my pics
image.jpg

Giant-Churchy

View attachment 46639 View attachment 46640
It was a great ride long down hill was a blast over taking lot of the sportive riders here's my pics View attachment 46639

Lovely Bikes.

theloafer

Legendary Member
good day weather wise walter and g/f and I did the darlo 50
grin.gif
she struggled a little bit from gr smeaton to be fair though this route is a bit lumpy... lol http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/551019 but I got her back for a drink in the hole in the wall :thumbsup but was a numpty set garmin to give turn by turn so no map reading ..but forgot set set it to record route info
facepalm.gif
thinkits ....(AGE)

mar`s bar break
WP_20140601_001.jpg

Here's a first, no pictures! Today I was once again chief mechanic, bottle washer, split time taker and generally Mr Lazy. I did all of 12 miles supporting dr_pink in her 50 mile TT in the Vale of Belvoir. She did 2.06.38 to take the win, another storming ride that would see her easily going under the 2 hr mark if she was to ride a fast DC, but she values her life as do I.

albion

Guru
After fettling my rear hub early this morning I got adventurous and set off with a newly smooth sounding bike towards Craster.

En-route I passed the, maybe 100 string Ride for Red lot doing the Seahouses to Newcastle Quayside event today.
So in seeing a 'Seahouses 12 miles 41 miles into my journey that naturally became the destination.
115 miles all in and hard work for a while returning with a south wind getting up.

On return it was pizza with extra cheese washed down with a litre of coke I happened to find.
No hint of bonk but I did arrive home to find my pannier bereft of coke. I thought the strange noise behind was a car running over a can.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Spent about three hours in the nearby quarry practising steps and drops. Dug a couple into a slope which were perhaps a foot and eighteen inches high. I concentrated on popping off each one at speed with a bit of a compression manual to lift the front wheel and tried to land them consistently with a two wheel landing. The final challenge for today was to go at a step that top to bottom measured over two feet, but had a big safe run out. I was clearing about a bike length on the transition. I was also using flat pedals on the Mojo and have shredded my shins. I was trying to,work out which pin was doing themost damage, and on closer examination realised it was the one with the little curl of skin on it. Must order some new Five Tens. One set of rock steps on a steep chute was another challenge. Last time I was there I rode it slowly and deliberately, but today built up speed and basically increased until the bike was doing all the work.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I set out this evening to do my 19 mile Cragg Vale loop but decided on my way back down to Mytholmroyd that it was time to have a go at the Midgley Road climb. The top part of it is quite hard as you can see from this old photo.

midgley_road.jpg

I last rode up that climb about 3 or 4 years ago when I was very fat and unfit and even using a 30/28 bottom gear I almost bust a gut.

Today I was riding my Cannondale which has a 39/29 bottom gear and I found the climb ok - not easy, but I did it sitting down and never felt that I was going to have a problem with it. I think most of the improvement in my climbing is due to my weight loss (27 kg/60 lbs/4 stone 4 lbs). I haven't really recovered my previous power output yet, which is obvious when I try to ride quickly on the flat into any kind of headwind. Still, I am getting stronger week by week and we are only just approaching summer, so I'm hoping for better things to come later in the year.

While my legs, heart and lungs coped with the climb, my bike's bottom bracket was starting to sound a bit wrecked! Clunks and clicks were signs that it needs replacing. I am thinking about putting a triple on the bike because 15% is about the limit of what I am comfortable with, and that is only once or twice in a ride and not really for many metres of ascent. I think a 30 or 32 ring would be much nicer for the steep stuff. I already have a spare BB with a triple-length axle (spindle?) so I would be better spending money on the replacement chainset rather than wasting it on a new BB for the current double chainset.

23 lumpy miles done in total.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
ThunderheadnowNorthofTowanda_zps23e6e532.jpg
Today's ride was all about the clouds, as some weather was moving in. This time of year, here, the air gets saturated and there are few fronts, so air mass thundershowers build up. I got going late after attending 2 masses this morning, one as lay eucharistic minister, one as thurifer, followed by grocery shopping and a dog walk. Then I rode 11.2 miles, through open farmland, on the Cannondale H-600 After I got home, I lit the grill, and the heavens opened up in a torrential downpour.
CumulusbasesFlattening_zpsd6c6de67.jpg
RadioTowerandCumulusClouds_zps55260241.jpg
BasingCumulusTreeandRoad_zps5a2e4a50.jpg
Generally, all it takes is for me to start an outdoor grill, and the rain comes down. No exception today...

Last edited:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
This Saturday was a rather new experience as far as racing goes! I was entered into the local 25, to be run on the usual J2/9 course, a course I know very well and can ride pretty good, but due to road works there was a last minute change to an alternative course, a 24.xx mile SPOCO (SPOCO = sporting course, i.e. twisty, lumpy, country lanes, potholes etc). The kind of thing that absolutely does not suit me as someone who likes to get into a good rhythm and just power along staying as aero as possible, I also feel more able to get the power out at the higher speeds associated with long straights. This course was going to be constant on/off the aero bars, on the brakes quite a bit and a fair few corners, including a couple of right turns and some gravel, so I was fairly apprehensive! Having been ill all week I was in 2 minds about even starting and planned to bail after the 1st lap if I was going shoot. I didn't bother preparing properly, as I usually do, which says a lot about my state of mind, given I am usually a stickler for detail when it comes to prepping myself, my nutrition and my kit. I did however tape my arm number to my arm using some wide cellotape, I hate arm numbers, they are an aero boon and this one was especially so, with pins in the top and an elastic band at the bottom that kept riding up, creating an arm mounted parachute, worth a few seconds at least!

With 2 new helmets, a Bell Javelin (very similar to my old Giro helmet, but fits better and allows me to keep my head lower) and a Kask Bambino (Team Sky fame) I couldn't decide which to go for. The Javelin will always win in an out and back with a head/tail wind and at high speeds, the Kask will be better in cross winds, windy circuits and courses where I will look down a lot, i.e. hilly courses. As I know the Javelin is fast having done PB's several times in it and the KASK being a bit of an unknown only being worn once I made a last minute decision to ride use the Bell Javelin helmet, even though I knew it might not be the fastest in theory on that courses, but I was in a shoot mood and not fully healthy, so didn't want to "test" the Bambino incase I had a bad ride and then found some way to blame the helmet for loosing me time... time triallists are notoriously weird for this sort of thing.

Anyway I warmed up and took to the start, I set off as per usual, sat down, just rolling away from the line (really can't emphasise too much how good an idea this is to anyone starting out) and set about my 1st lap, which was not enjoyable, it was fairly technical with a tricky corner early on and I was struggling to find any sort of rhythm, but I was catching lots of riders and I think I had caught my 3 minute man well before the end of the 1st lap, so I knew I wasn't going bad, a quick glance at my average power said that even though the speed wasn't great, my power was good and so it was likely the other riders would have much slower average speeds than on our usual course too, so in the final fastish section at the end of the lap when I was finally settling in, I decided to go for the 2nd lap and not bail. The second lap was a lot more enjoyable, even though I didn't like the corners, I managed to get a nice rhythm in a few sections I couldn't in the 1st lap as I now knew some of the bends could be taken on the tri bars. I made it into the faster final section of the race just as my clubmate (and eventual 2nd place finisher, all round super fast man) passed me on his 1st lap, he had clearly made time up on me with his superior cornering skills (he is a road racer too, so that is to be expected) as when he passed and we entered a straight, I was holding the same speed with ease, in fact I wanted to go a little faster but was wary of passing him back then holding him up on a corner, so I waited until we had cleared all technical bits then hit the afterburners, passing him and going off down the road at a good pace, I thought there was about 2 miles left (wasn't looking at my Garmin as I was more concerned with not crashing or going the wrong way) so was building into a big finish then the chequered board appeared... I hadn't got it all out and had hit the finish before I had expected in 56:50 (25.5 mph), well down on my usual time for a 25 mile TT, even though this was 24.xx miles. I immediatelly slammed on and got out of the way so my clubmate could re-pass me and not be obstructed then headed back to the HQ wondering if my time was any good, having nothing to judge it against.

Back at HQ I was in 2nd place... as times came in, I knew my club mate and Wilko (24HR record holder) would beat me, plus probably Rubberlegs as he usually beats me. That would leave me in 5th, I wasn't far off, because I ended up in 6th (and prize money), being beaten by a lad I usually beat, he either did a good ride, or I lost time in the corners (very likely). Was fairly happy with that.

Team prize win with Ant and Si. So a bit more prize money! At least my entry was covered :biggrin:

Pics:
_2KN7969.jpg

A bit of encouragement from the only spectators on the course, pro!
_2KN8130.jpg

Race data: http://www.strava.com/activities/147983887

Hopefully the road works are gone for next weekend as I am riding a 50TT that uses the same roads as our normal 25, I can not imagine doing 4 laps of this SPOCO courses...

Last edited:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
(Back in the day), I liked our 'SPOCO', maybe because I like scenery, or could it be that my weight had more going for me on that type of a course than a straight 'Out & Back'. :pump:
Then again, I wasn't really worried about my times, just liked to beat one of our clubmen who fancied himself a racer. :giggle:

Don't mind hills, I go up them fairly well, or circuits, just don't like loads of corners, esp ones with gravel and potholes etc forcing you to take wierd lines (I also didn't like the marshal wandering about in the road either, nearly mowed him down because he was dothering and I didn't know which side of him to go), I like to be able to settle into my effort and just ride.

Just gone and entered 2 x 50TT's and a 100TT, could be interesting as I am not a long haul trucker :tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom