Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flatflr

Guru
Update on a couple of rides.
Spent the weekend out in the western end of the Beacon Beacons for a mates birthday so on Saturday 3 of us headed out on a ride from Llangadog to Carmarthen and back. 45 mile slow ride for me us one of my mates had only ever ridden a max of 20 mile, but he kept at it but was a little broken at the end, well done him. other mate is a regular cyclist who rode from Bulgaria to Estonia over 3 month in 2012 so no issues for her. I left them back at Llangadog and headed up the hill and back to Brynamman for an extra 10 miles.

Short recovery ride (after the weekends partying) of 20 miles for me today, uneventful other than getting 4th quickest on a Strava segment:smile:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
No ride Saturday. No ride Sunday. No ride tonight. I've had my shoes stuffed with newspaper and placed in the airing cupboard since my soaking on Friday night, and they are still squelching wet. Man, what a storm that was! At the risk of developing trenchfoot, I'm not going to let it stop me getting out tomorrow. Frocester Hill beckons.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Well done. I always find that climb tough because it is so relentless - absolutely no let up. Over 3km at 8.5%. Hang on, I'll knock up a profile so people can get a feel for it ...

View attachment 47902

What is humbling is that it is only equivalent to about 1/5 of the last 16 km of the classic Mont Ventoux climb from Bédoin and that has another 6 km at the bottom at about 4.5%! :eek:
Looks like a fun ride! :smile: I just viewed it on Google Maps StreetView. The country looks a bit bare out there, though: it must get pretty windy at times.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Went for a pedal out from home (Falkirk) to Culross on the Fife coast and back again. Mostly cycle paths or really quiet roads. Very sunny and lots of bikes out with happy faces on them ^_^

My Giant resting against a fence with a sea view :sun:

IMAG0169.jpg

Have fun!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Looks like a fun ride! :smile: I just viewed it on Google Maps StreetView. The country looks a bit bare out there, though: it must get pretty windy at times.
Not much to break the wind, and its all arranged in glaciated valleys which tend to funnel the wind. It's either in your face or behind you. It can be pretty bleak up here in the winter. Which last from the end of August to the end of may....... There are virtually no flat stretches either, so,every ride tends to have a saw tooth profile.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Well done. I always find that climb tough because it is so relentless - absolutely no let up. Over 3km at 8.5%. Hang on, I'll knock up a profile so people can get a feel for it ...

View attachment 47902

What is humbling is that it is only equivalent to about 1/5 of the last 16 km of the classic Mont Ventoux climb from Bédoin and that has another 6 km at the bottom at about 4.5%! :eek:
Thanks Colin, nice to hear it isn't just me that finds it tough. The top section also has several false summits, which can lead to little segments of despair to break up the brutality. Strava shows the total climb from the Bottom of Meltham to be 1100 feet in just 3 miles.
http://www.strava.com/segments/3967684

We're going to try Cragg Vale over the next few days, I'll need to do some careful route plotting from this side though....... I've done Ripponden Bank on a MTB from Norland to Ripponden, but I don't fancy it the other way round on a road bike just yet.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not much to break the wind, and its all arranged in glaciated valleys which tend to funnel the wind. It's either in your face or behind you. It can be pretty bleak up here in the winter. Which last from the end of August to the end of may....... There are virtually no flat stretches either, so,every ride tends to have a saw tooth profile.
Indeed - like this ...

Too hard for a forum ride.gif

That was the profile of a forum ride being planned to take in some of the Tour de France stage 2 route. I just saw sense and am coming up with a less brutal version! :thumbsup:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I rode the one below on my 15kg touring bike, the same one I've been using for commuting these past 5.5 years, and it was hard work! :heat:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Parkdale-to-Audax-Noojee-Loop-return#
The first 45km was just my ride to the start point of the loop, but the loop was 200km with 3000m climbing, and as you can see from the elevation profile, there weren't many flat bits, it was all ups and downs, so the legs don't get much of a break.

I'd love to ride some of those Tour de France routes, though: I'm so envious of you lot, living so close to them.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I rode the one below on my 15kg touring bike, the same one I've been using for commuting these past 5.5 years, and it was hard work! :heat:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Parkdale-to-Audax-Noojee-Loop-return#
The first 45km was just my ride to the start point of the loop, but the loop was 200km with 3000m climbing, and as you can see from the elevation profile, there weren't many flat bits, it was all ups and downs, so the legs don't get much of a break.

I'd love to ride some of those Tour de France routes, though: I'm so envious of you lot, living so close to them.
That sounds good. Hard, but good!

I can't see the elevation profile. When I click the button to generate one, I get an error message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom