Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Funny old start to today, and the debate of short vs long sleeve jersey. Went long in the end and glad I did, didn't see any sunshine the whole ride and felt almost cold at times. Nothing too exciting for me today, perhaps not a surprise to find me doing circuits at Windsor Great Park. Lots of activity at the Polo Club as they clear up after a big event. Just the one pic, 5 Arch Bridge, no prizes for guessing why it is so named...
16 June 2014 5 Arch Bridge.jpg

Hoping for a group ride on Wednesday, be nice to have some company for a change.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
My ride yesterday 169km so not quite as mad as last week. Made it over to Ingoldsby, encountered Bitchfield and was tempted to go to Burton Coggles but didn't. Ace name though....... Then back to sunny Blaby...Ok I hardly saw the sun all day but it was a nice ride nonetheless

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A ride with Doug this afternoon. After discussing the options at length (he seemed not to be too keen on the long distance ones I suggested :whistle:) we settled on a ride in the direction of Cardington, but turning off and climbing past Enchmarsh to Yell Bank and back via Chatwall, Ruckley and Acton Burnell.

At the start of the ride we had to jump out of the way of a paramedic's car which came up behind us while we were waiting to turn onto the A49. From the timing of it and the direction it was going it's likely it was headed to this incident: glider crash on the Long Mynd.

Once we got going again we set a fairly good pace through Condover, Ryton and Longnor helped by a brisk following wind. Even without the assistance though, Doug's pace has really improved since the recent changes to the set up of his bike.:thumbsup:

We soon got to the foot of the climb to Folly Bank and wound our way gently up to the crossroads where we had a drink stop before the next climb to Yell Bank. Usually these lanes are really quiet but today there were two large tractors and two lorries which only just fitted the lanes with mere inches to spare either side. Once these were out of the way we could continue the climb and as always the views up here are fabulous.

We dropped down the other side through Causewaywood (quite a pretty little valley that feels more remote than it actually is) and made our way to Acton Burnell. I offered a choice of routes back and Doug opted for the short way. It's usually a 20+mph run into Pitchford but we were riding directly against the wind today and couldn't do better than about 18mph.

The rest of the trip was fairly straightforward apart from a close pass on the A49 (Range Rover - fairly typical).

A little over 23 miles at 12.5 mph average which I think is pretty good for Doug on a route with a fairly big climb on it (511 feet in about 2 miles).

DSC0001166.jpg

One of the tractors taking up the whole lane. The two lorries were an even tighter fit.:ohmy:

DSC0001168.jpg

Near the summit of Yell Bank and looking towards the Clee Hills.

DSC0001171.jpg

Doug takes in the view.

DSC0001172.jpg

Further on there is a nice viewpoint. Looking north over the Shropshire Plain.

DSC0001175.jpg

Doug at the viewpoint. The Wrekin is in the background.

DSC0001177.jpg

Near Acton Burnell and looking back to Causewaywood which we've just ridden past. The crop in the field is oil-seed rape.

Last edited:

ScotiaLass

Guru
My holiday ride today was quite eventful!
I hired a bike for the lad and we did an easy 8 miles along the coast (promenade walkway) and round and about the marina etc.
I took him towards the trails I had found yesterday but he didn't want to ride along them. He isn't too confident and due to his dyspraxia is extremely wobbly! He had fun though.

So I decided I wanted a longer ride (ended up doing 14 miles) and headed to the trail which leads along the coast and then diverted into the woods.
It was lovely - I met a man with his 3 dogs, but that was it! I had it all to myself.
Lochloy woods3.jpg

So, being me, I took advantage, and bombed along having a ball....I kinda forgot the woods are right next to the coast and that it's sandy.
This was my downfall - literally!

Yes, I had an off. I had been ripping through the woods, up and down the inclines on some very narrow single tracks, complete with roots and twists.
It was brilliant! Until I hit some sand. It didn't look like sand - that's what I was thinking as the bike stopped dead and I continued on.

I threw myself to one side and landed on my thigh and hip.
You know when it's coming and it happens but in slow motion? Yeah that!
I lay there giggling my ass off. I'm so glad no one else was about and I had forgotten to turn on the action cam....I wish I hadn't, that would have been some classic stuff!

I was back in the caravan park when I noticed my shoes, which set me off laughing again! New shoes are required!
bike_off1.jpg

I got in and headed to the shower, then noticed this appearing..
bike_off2.jpg

There's also one on my hip!
My legs are wrecked but I had such a blast - I'm still grinning, and that people, is what it's all about!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Rode a local nemesis hill on Saturday, Wessenden from Meltham ...This road lark is starting to get a bit of a hold on me, but the climb was hard work, and involved a bottom gear grind for the majority of the hill itself. Still, I managed to haul my carcass all the way in one go, despite never having done so before.
Well done. I always find that climb tough because it is so relentless - absolutely no let up. Over 3km at 8.5%. Hang on, I'll knock up a profile so people can get a feel for it ...

Meltham to Wessenden Head climb.gif

What is humbling is that it is only equivalent to about 1/5 of the last 16 km of the classic Mont Ventoux climb from Bédoin and that has another 6 km at the bottom at about 4.5%! :eek:

MarkF

Guru
A ride with Doug this afternoon. After discussing the options at length (he seemed not to be too keen on the long distance ones I suggested :whistle:) we settled on a ride in the direction of Cardington, but turning off and climbing past Enchmarsh to Yell Bank and back via Chatwall, Ruckley and Acton Burnell.

Hi, what make is the rack bag please?

ScotiaLass

Guru
BUT

is the bike okay^_^
Not a scratch as it landed on top of me - I protected it with my thigh :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well done. I always find that climb tough because it is so relentless - absolutely no let up. Over 3km at 8.5%. Hang on, I'll knock up a profile so people can get a feel for it ...

View attachment 47902

What is humbling is that it is only equivalent to about 1/5 of the last 16 km of the classic Mont Ventoux climb from Bédoin and that has another 6 km at the bottom at about 4.5%! :eek:
By coincidence, I am just plotting a route for a forum ride which will take in this climb!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom