Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just back in from a quick pootle down to the hospital. 10.15 miles in 39:36 so a reasonably quick pootle for me. After a long drive to Hertfordshire then along the M25 and to Essex and then home, I was fairly tired and I only got a couple of hours sleep last night too so I wasn't really in the mood for going out but did anyway and feel so much better for it. Did a nice 1.5 miles warm down looping the car-park again. Very enjoyable. I think that I prefer riding alone now.

While heading towards Little Melton I had some silly young Muntjak jump out on my then dive back into the verge and then out again. Happily I didn't hit him, I'd have damaged my bike if I'd have run into him. Had a near miss with a baby rabbit too. All the nutters out tonight.

Were there any CC-ers on the TT that was up and down the A11 this afternoon? We stayed in the right hand lane so we could give the bike chaps as much room as possible. That's a lot more than I can say for some cars blaring their horns at the bikes.

U

User33236

My ride out today was an early morning 25km on a route near to home before getting back home to drop Mrs SG off at the train station. Gave me my first chance to check out my new hand built wheels and resulted in PR's on 34 Strava segments so I guess the placebo effect does work lol.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
GroupatstartofMetric_zpsae166940.jpg
Rode in a metric Century ride today, Here's the start/finish area. It's a series of 22 mile loops in and out of a Lake/Camping/Swimming area, Lake Evergreen County Park.
MonumentandDamLakeEvergreen_zps836e6c37.jpg
This is the dam , with monument chronicling its' construction.
VistafromWhiteOakFarmCarlockinDistance_zps39d9806b.jpg
Looking down from the hills above Carlock, looking at the town itself.
WindmillBladeMaintenance_zps2726dc4a.jpg
Fellows were out maintaining the windmills, grinding something.
RadioShackinAction_zps89f923d6.jpg
Busy radio shack, with many thermoses in evidence. And a Bicycle mounted Ham Radio, one of three I saw there.
MackinawRiver1_zps267ff539.jpg
The Mackinaw River.
HillyRoad_zps778c393b.jpg
Yes, we have some hills.
50 miles, the wind sprang up,(over 30 mph) and I rode for home after 44 miles on the course, and lunch. Stopped in Hudson as Mrs. GA was fueling the car there, and caught a lift home.

Cashed in my "get out of Bedlam free" father's day pass and headed out to the hills. Got over Hope mountain, Llandegla, worlds end, old horseshoe and then back to Chester. Bike was running nicely after a service by 69 cycles, and the new (free) 25 continental tyres made the roads a bit smoother. Tried out the new Scott top (2 for £25 at start cycles) which is good value (summer - lightweight) but probably not worth £70 rrp :laugh:.
Only black cloud on the horizon is a referral to Papworth for pulmonary hypertension. Better get those hills in while I can ...

GrasB

Veteran
A nice & quick 50 miler today. The mild but not hot temps with a sprinkling of rain & patchy sun made for a refreshing ride compared to recent weeks.

Also had a bit of a sprint race with a couple of riders, They got the drop for about 150-200m then my aero advantage kicked in big time :evil:... TV at about 500m was dangerously close to 100km/h with headwind :blink:... assistance:crazy:

Last edited:

davdandy

A much cooler and quite drizzly day today.

Headed towards Newton and Burtonwood then through Warrington,then out into Stretton and Antrobus,then Tabley near Knutsford and started to head back through High Legh,over Warby bridge,into Culcheth and home.

Around 51 miles covered,and although the drizzle was with us it actually helped by keeping us cool,though it did play havoc with the glasses steaming up and poor visibility but apart from that a very good mornings work.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Hoarwithy 100 audax yesterday.
Nice hilly ride in the sun.

image.jpg

Yat rock @ 49k

image.jpg

All done @ the arrivee

image.jpg

After, drove down to stay in Swansea where my wife was swimming in the nationals, the nice people at premier inn let me park my bike in the room.

Nice ride in all, met some nice people on route and spent a bit chatting for a change.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 38
D

Deleted member 23692

An early start this morning saw me heading eastwards to cross the River Eden at Warwick Bridge and then heading down the East Fellside to re-cross the Eden at Lazonby. From there it was up and out of the Eden valley before dropping down to Plumpton to cross the River Petteril, and then head north back to Carlisle via Calthwaite.

Today's photo stop was at the village of Cumrew, with the summit cairn on Cardunneth Pike in the background

WP_20140615_07_34_07_Pro_zpsc58cbfec.jpg

full.png

Garmin tells me it was 39.5 miles / 2390 ft ascent @ 15.4mph

BSRU

A Human Being
Out at 4.25am for an 67km pootle with 718km of going up.
Excellent conditions, overcast so not blinded by the sun and a very comfortable temperature.
Virtually no cars for the whole 67km but quite a few drunks at the start.

Whilst going up a small climb a flying insect of some kind flew straight into my mouth, managed to continue climbing one handed as I used a finger to extract it from the back of my mouth.
Then latter had to duck under a large wood pigeon that would have hurt if I had made contact.

Again no cake so had to make do with crumpets. butter and black cherry jam^_^.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Y'day was a hot and sunny 60km on a singlespeed which left me with sore and heavy legs but took my weekly total to 330km

Mates couldn't ride this morning and I was up really late as designated driver after a World Cup BBQ and post match party in honour of England vs Italy. One mate was game to come out this afternoon "so long as we ride at a gentlemanly pace."

Only about 17 degrees out and a steady North North East wind so off north it had to be. Decided in a spirit of recovery riding the big ring was out so we span our way over to Ewhurst. Friday night had treated the area to a spectacular thunderstorm in the wee hours of Saturday and the lanes were covered in debris and wash out gravel. Ewhurst reached, up Pitch Hill we went over the top I was glad for once of the cars only doing 30mph on the descent, lots of gravel and debris which you don't want to meet at high speed.

Turning right before the Dorking - Guildford railway line over to Peaslake we pedalled. Nice coffee and a triple choc flapjack from the ever excellent and determinedly friendly village store were consumed in the bus shelter. Much quieter here in the pm than the am but I reckon a lot of road riders would also be out on the BHF L2B well over to the east of us.

Radnor Lane then beckoned. The bottom is character building and then the rest of the climb is just grin and bear it. Only two cars coming down, and neither driven by nobbers. Didn't see another rider on this stretch, including my partner whom I dropped on the first ramp, which is unusual as sometimes this road is a procession. The wind was mainly behind us from now on which was a bonus.

The descent was somewhat inhibited by the debris on the road and when we got to the Ewhurst - Ockley Road I decided to cut out a planned loop via Forest Green in order to be back home by 17h00. So west to Ewhurst and then south, so much easier than the same road heading the other way. Retracing our steps our progress is noticeably faster with the wind behind us. The plan worked. Home for KO of Swi - Ecu and the legs are nicely loose.

Off out for a Father's Day curry after Church this evening. Lovely day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom