Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just an 8 mile utility ride into town today but I came home via The Quarry where Shrewsbury Carnival was setting up.

DSC0001111.jpg

Lots of stalls set out. From past experience it'll be packed down here when the event starts properly.

DSC0001112.jpg

The floats are arriving. The theme appears to be music this year.

DSC0001113.jpg

DSC0001115.jpg

DSC0001116.jpg

Also taking place later is the rather grandly named "World Coracle Championship" at the Pengwern Boat Club

DSC0001119.jpg

Sabrina taking a few trippers past Coleham. Could be interesting later when they have to negotiate their way past those coracles.;)

DSC0001120.jpg

The William Clement Memorial looks impressive in the sunshine.

DSC0001122.jpg

Another shot of Sabrina heading towards the English Bridge as I head out of town across Greyfriars Bridge.

Last edited:

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I'm back from a cracking 43 miler on the mountain bike.

Started off up the Derwent walk to consent (route14) and then made a split decision to leave r14 and join r7 which turns out to be the c2c Whitehaven to mackemland

About half way down there were a couple in the late 30's on their brand new spesh cyclocrossers which I caught and overtook. Given their toned physique they weren't new to cycling and I think they took the hump and about a mile down the track they hunted me down and went passed me. Well I wasn't having any of it so I tailed them for around 3 miles before turning off before I got anywhere near enemy territory.

43miles
489m elevation gain
3h19m (a few wrong turns in consett plus traffic)

From there I cruised home and now I'm quite happy with myself, supping a well deserved bottle of speckled hen

EDITED: I'll also add that the inevitable happened. The dredded SPD panic at a crossing, twice. Fortunately there were no spectators and no damage done

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
I decided to be a bit adventurous and head for new territory today, and something I have wanted to do for ages, which is arrive at the World Heritage Site of Ironbridge (The world's 1st Cast Iron Bridge, built in 1778 is situated there) by bike.

It was lovely warm sunshine as I headed out at 09:30 in the direction of Uffington, Upton Magna (todays close encounter was with a Pigeon, instead of an Owl!), Upton Forge, Wroxeter, Eyton on Severn (joining the NCN Route 45) and then the new territory started as I climbed up to Upper Longwood, with The Wrekin coming into view, as I headed towards it.

IMG_0653.JPG

Next up was a right turn onto Spout Lane. This is where the serious climbing starts and its around 700ft of climbing in 5 miles up to Little Wenlock at the top of the hill. it was worth the climb to see views like this, all the way to the Welsh mountains.

IMG_0654.JPG

As I arrived in Little Wenlock, I could see a lot of cyclists passing by the junction and it soon became apparent that there was a Charity Ride on. Turns out it was actually this http://www.shropshirecharityevents.co.uk/walk-run-ride/4576772230 in aid of the fabulous people at the Lingen Davies Cancer Centre (Royal Shrewsbury Hospital). With the current situation that my Mum is battling it was quite fitting and these people really deserve all the money that was being raised for them. I didn't know it at the time, but I would be on the same route as them for the rest of my ride! The marshals obviously thought I was part of the ride, as they were directing me towards Coalbrookdale, but luckily that was the way I wanted to go :thumbsup:.

The descent from Little Wenlock to Coalbrookdale is pretty exhilarating stuff, with around 4 miles of downhill, and 3 gradient arrows. I wouldn't fancy going the opposite way up it yet though!! I was getting good speed up down there, overtaking all of the charity cyclists (felt wrong but didn't really have much choice!) but the road surface was horrendous pretty much all of the way down, with big potholes all over the place and I was shaken to bits by the time I arrived in Coalbrookdale! There was then more (smooth thankfully!) downhill into Ironbridge, where I mixed it with the tourists and traffic to arrive at my destination (below)

IMG_0656.JPG

I then cycled up onto the bridge (which still forms part of NCN Route 45 onto Jackfield) to take a couple of pictures of the view.

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

I was getting a bit hungry now and so I dropped back down into Ironbridge and onto Dale End Park, where I had my lunch sat in the gardens, overlooking the River Severn, in the :sun:. It was absolute bliss and I just sat there for a good half an hour chilling out, which was much needed after the week we've had.

My bench for lunch (and bike)
IMG_0661.JPG

To head home I decided to follow the route of the River Severn, as I didn't want to add too much more mileage than necessary, with only 2 weeks to the BHF ride. This meant mixing it with the traffic on the main road to Buildwas and Leighton. It is a B road, but is basically and extension of the A road from Telford and people tend to drive it like an A road as well. However, in the main, the cars gave me plenty of room. What was more of an issue was the fact I was now back on the charity cycle route and so had to wind my way through the groups of cyclists, many of whom were walking their bikes up Buildwas bank!:eek: They still had a long way to go to their destination!!

They all seemed rather grumpy as well, as I tried to keep saying hello and spur them on, without any response back in the majority of cases. Perhaps it was the fact I was overtaking them?!

I then re-traced my steps back through Wroxeter, Upton Forge and arrived in Upton Magna to find the walkers and runners had converged there, as they were on a slightly shorter 18 mile route, which was to follow the same route as the cyclists for the remainder of the journey. This meant that I had to navigate my way around lots of groups of walkers on the road to Uffington, but the bell did the trick and they were much more friendly than the cyclists, with lots of cheery hello's.

It was then back along the old canal path, still mixing it with the walkers, and a marshal looked very concerned as I ignored his directions to carry on towards the town centre and turned off to home (obviously again thought I was part of the ride) but I shouted "don't worry" to him, which seemed to do the trick.

It was a really enjoyable ride and one that I would like to do again, but next time explore more of the Ironbridge Gorge as well.

34.6 miles
11.1 mph avg
1435 ft of climbing.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
Firstly.....
Only to fetch the papers.Took the long way (which at 4km is 4x normal) so as to include Heath House Lane which barely qualifies as a hill.However.....
shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif
sad.gif

Used the Longstaff which I normally regard as a bit sluggish in every respect but today it seemed a bit frisky which is probably the result of not riding it lately in preference to tandeming which is definitely sluggish for me & my stoker
smiley.gif
& I kept missing the shifters 'cause they are on the down tube & NOT ON THE BAR ENDS.
grin.gif

& it's bl00$y hot out there
thumbsup.gif

Later.....
For the first time in a very long time I took the bike out for a second ride on the same day.
I need to know how long it takes to cycle from home to a site in Uttoxeter.Google maps says it's 12km..It took me 32 mins.
That's a little disappointing considering that two years ago I was doing a 10 mile TT using much of the same route in 28mins.
But I was in relaxed mode as if I were riding at silly o'clock.
So do I wish to slither out of my pit at 0430hrs to have time for brekky etc & be there for 0600hrs?
undecided.gif

I deliberately chose a lumpy route back through Bramshall,Church Leigh,Lower Leigh & along Moor Lane to sit on my favourite bench under my favourite tree at my favourite grass triangle,Upper Leigh,Lower Tean & home.
I also adopted a stubborn attitude to anything going "up" & refused to change down.In fact I mostly changed up at least one gear & consciously(sp) pulled on the up-stroke whilst remaining seated or stood on the pedals to do a little dancing.

I stopped at the Strawberry Farm Garden Centre in Bramshall to see if there was anything of interest in the second hand books section.Sadly not.

As a bonus I arrived home before il pluet.

MikeG

Guru
Up at 5.30 to load the bikes onto the bike rack, and then fill the car with almost everything bike-related we own, just to cover all the possibilities...........a quick snatched breakfast, and off by 6.30 to head to Swaffham in Norfolk. 90 minutes away. It was going to be my wife's first ever audax!! The trip up was notable for seeing a barn owl in flight, slowly, alongside the road.

Mrs G was quite nervous at the HQ, which meant chatting to everyone in sight......whilst I sorted the bikes, the cards, and the routesheet. There were a 3 or 4 others from CC Sudbury, my club, taking part too. Despite it being miserable on the drive up, the weather turned sort-of OK, and we had the usual low-key audax start, with a little old lady with a head-scarf and a shopping-bag-on-wheels-thingy wandering amongst the bikes as we pulled out of the Community Centre.

The first two thirds of the ride were gorgeous, with lovely scenery, not much wind, and a flat course. We spotted another owl (a little owl, this time), and there were lots and lots of pigs. The roads were wide, quiet, and pretty flat. Now, if you haven't ridden your bike much for a while, and you are about to tackle your first ever audax, one of the things that most of us wouldn't think to do as part of the preparations would be to give blood late the previous evening, particularly if you are tiny, and hold very little blood anyway. Well, my wife thought this was a good idea. She also thought that riding the fastest she has done ever on a long ride was a good idea. And guess what?

Yep, it was no problem at all. She flew around as if she had been riding audaxes all her life, and averaged 16 mph for the 102 km. Didn't surprise me at all, because I did Lejog with her 3 or 4 years ago, and I know she runs on Duracells......and she has just done her first ever marathon in damn good time 3 or 4 weeks ago, so her fitness is fine. Timid in corners and down hills (there weren't any hills on this ride), and not used to riding in a group, she had a wonderful time, and I thoroughly enjoyed just sitting alongside her chatting.

We had a little stroll around Swaffham after we finished, trying to find something decent to eat (the food at the horse rescue place at Snetterton (the turn-around point) was pretty poor, and corned beef white bread rolls didn't really do it for us at the HQ afterwards), then we headed home. A really nice day, a good ride, two owls, and my wife is now an audaxer. :smile:

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Out bright and early for me, and another trek around Windsor Great Park. Lots of single and small groups out today, none that fast either. The faster groups tend to hit the park Sunday mornings, and that's a day off for me this week. Never mind, I'm no match in current health and on a 38c equipped hybrid anyway:rolleyes:
24 miles today, slowly improving once more.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Seven and a half miles is all. Out with the family at the caravan, cycled to the sea and saw a school of dolphins swimming past, then off to the pub for a nice lunch washed down with a couple of pints. Cycled back and locked the bikes up, and went to the site's pub with my folks. Bit sunburnt now.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Short ride out today with Gti Junior to visit the Roots cafe near Preston that was featured in Cycling magazine. Lovely cruise along quiet country lanes in warm sunshine, cafe was nice but the sun was hot in the sheltered back garden, though that was better than being inside the warm cafe which smelled of frying. After coffee and a mars bar rice krispie cake we headed off and caught up with a lovely Polish couple from Blackburn, Mike on a late 1800s racing penny farthing and Martha on an also late 1800s sit up and beg. He and I had a short race and he managed 20 mph, against the wind! Note the well-muscled legs, the stripey jersey and bunch of bananas helmet!

Tandem3_zps2c182ca4.jpg

Tandem2_zps1bf62213.jpg

Tandem1_zpsb036be7b.jpg

Last edited:

Spartak