Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
Quick un-planned ride today, wanted to get out before going round to see my nephew, so got kitted up and just started to pedal. No idea where I was going..

All in all; a nice 23mile ride with an average of 16.6mph and 600ft elevation... And here's the only photo I took...

20140613_143421.jpg

MikeW-71

Veteran
Friday the 13th. Commuted to work. Clipless fall on the way home. Dammit :sad:

It was suddenly almost impossible to unclip, lubed the (brand new) pedals when I got home and replaced the cleats and now it seems as it should be. Rather annoying though and there's now a nice bruise on my left hand.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
4am this morning ,, yes 4am i truly did not know there were two 4's in a day, there i was sat up turning the alarm off before getting up for toast and coffee, and a 4.30 off to meet two work collogues to ride a route we are taking guests on the day before stage 1 of the TDF.
As we are local to the route we have invited our best customers up from around the country to ride the route and enjoy the evening before the start in Leeds.
So this morning was to check the route for the day, 4.30 start off up Cragg Vale / Ripponden bank then through the lanes over to Holmfirth (home of Nora Batty , Compo and Sids Cafe) before the climb up to the mast station at the top.

It may have wiped me out for the rest of the day but what a great morning weather wise and great route.

A couple of pictures of Holme Moss i found on the internet as i forgot to take the camera
2659275.jpg

Lower-Holme-Moss-Holmfirth-beyond.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23692

Tonight's ride was the same route as the previous two Friday evenings, which is down to Calthwaite, cross over to Hutton End and back to Carlisle. 22½ miles in total. The previous two times have been at an average of 17.9 mph and within 11 seconds of each other, but I tonight was 3½ mins quicker :smile: So now I'm wondering what caused the sudden bust of speed. Was it...

a, today's liquid lunch of a pint of Black Sheep?
or
b, the bowel of chilli that I consumed about 30 mins before setting out and was probably digesting whilst riding
or
c, voodoo/a dark art?

Who knows? I'm going to contemplate the above whilst recovering with an isotonic pint of Doombar ;)

Anyway here's another map...

full.png

Garmin gen = 22½ miles / 900 ft @ 18.8 mph

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Watched Mexico v Cameroon and decided to get in a quick 20 miler (to Frampton on Severn and back) and then catch the second half of Holland v Spain. No couch potato, me. No Siree.:whistle:

Plan went right timewise, but very wrong weather wise. Got caught up in another horrendous thunderstorm for the last 6 miles. Flashes of lightning all around me and the most torrential rain I've ever ridden through. At least an inch of rain on the road everywhere, with torrents running down the road in places. Got my head down and really shifted it, hoping to get ahead of the storm.:hyper: Had to keep stopping to wipe my eyes though, as the rain was washing sweat into them and making them sting.

Shoes now squelching wet. All my clothes now wrung out and on the towel rail. At least I caught the best half of the footy match, and am now basking in a warm glow of smug self satisfaction for getting off my backside even during a World Cup.

Heard a cuckoo in Frampton tonight. Read in the paper the other day that all the cuckoos have flown back to Africa because of the wet weather. Bet this one wishes he had too. The thunderstorm is still rumbling all around our house really loud as I write. Definitely don't recommend anyone riding in a storm like that.:thumbsdown:

gavgav

Guru
Watched Mexico v Cameroon and decided to get in a quick 20 miler (to Frampton on Severn and back) and then catch the second half of Holland v Spain. No couch potato, me. No Siree.:whistle:

Plan went right timewise, but very wrong weather wise. Got caught up in another horrendous thunderstorm for the last 6 miles. Flashes of lightning all around me and the most torrential rain I've ever ridden through. At least an inch of rain on the road everywhere, with torrents running down the road in places. Got my head down and really shifted it, hoping to get ahead of the storm.:hyper: Had to keep stopping to wipe my eyes though, as the rain was washing sweat into them and making them sting.

Shoes now squelching wet. All my clothes now wrung out and on the towel rail. At least I caught the best half of the footy match, and am now basking in a warm glow of smug self satisfaction for getting off my backside even during a World Cup.

Heard a cuckoo in Frampton tonight. Read in the paper the other day that all the cuckoos have flown back to Africa because of the wet weather. Bet this one wishes he had too. The thunderstorm is still rumbling all around our house really loud as I write. Definitely don't recommend anyone riding in a storm like that.:thumbsdown:
Fair play for getting through that!! My auntie lives in Berkeley Heath and has been talking to my dad on the phone, mentioning how bad the storm was!! And what a game of football to get back to. Holland were absolutely awesome!!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Fair play for getting through that!! My auntie lives in Berkeley Heath and has been talking to my dad on the phone, mentioning how bad the storm was!! And what a game of football to get back to. Holland were absolutely awesome!!
Yes, and I was already quite excitable when I got back to watch it. Wow! They are gonna take some stopping.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The enemy & I left it 'till quite late to go out today because it was very hot today, so about 4pm we decided to do a 20 mile hill loop, 3 big hills including Streatley farking bastard shithole hill. 1200ft of climbing in the fist 10 miles, still it down hill all the way home after that.

Note to self. Do NOT go on a bike ride in Friday afternoon rush hour you prat.

Actually it was very nice when we got off the main road, lovely weather today.

Hill Reps.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom