Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Toeclip

Guru
Out by 7am this morning heading for Norton Heath Cafe via Billericay, Ingatestone, Writtle and Willingale. Met two old club mates in the cafe then rode back with them via Mountnessing and Hutton we then split and I carried on through Little Warley to reach home with 54 miles on the clock. I had sun and showers but a very good ride too!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just remind me where you'll go from Scape. I have half a plan hatched that would take me to Mytholmroyd from from my house, and when you continue to HB I'll turn up Cragg and head home via the A58, possibly even back up to Buckstones from Ripponden..... (only half a plan mind. You'll spend a lot of time waiting for me on the hills....)
Clough Head, Pole Moor, Scammonden, Ringstone Edge, Booth Wood, A672, Ripponden, lanes to Steep Lane then either up Steep Lane to open moorland above Cragg Vale or down Scout Rd into Mytholmroyd,

I definitely will not be riding quickly uphill! :thumbsup:

The orginal plan for today had been to ride over to a party this evening. But it rained all night and then all morning and my OH was complaining that his legs were aching and he wanted a rest day today, so we changed our plans and agreed we would use the car. Only the car has decided to have other plans, and well it is off the road, so the only way to get to the party was by bike... cue a 4pm bike ride to a party, and a return/quick escape at 8pm.... literally just back in.

So not much happened and coming home the road were so quiet that we even decided after watching the A556 from the cycle lane that it was quiet enough to risk the NSL dual carriageway for the short distance that there is only a shared use path alongside it and it is so bad that you only want to go anywhere near it with a full suspension mountain bike... a total of 11 cars passed us, all passing completely to the other lane, during our time on it and even at the top of the hill where we needed to turn right across the dual carriageway, it was that quiet that not only did we not have to stop, we didn't have to indicate we wanted over to the right hand lane (of a NSL dual carriageway)... there was simply nothing there - and the reason for using it - it saves us around 4km!

Spotted this sign on the way out, and am currently considering relegating Callisto as my avatar for a while!

IMG_0680.JPG

:ohmy: :laugh:

so just the 66km today rather than 70km... http://www.strava.com/activities/159240128/overview
tomorrow if everything happens will be a +100km ride... still need to get that in for this month and only have 2 days left!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just in from usual ride to the N&N Hospital to collect Hubster from dialysis. Today I rode from home to Wreningham, on to Hethel, past Lotus and along the cyclepath. Then on to East Carleton and then back to Wymondham via Ketteringham. Once over our railway line crossing I headed off towards Hethersett until I got to the police station/watirose roundabout and then decided to head down Tuttles Lane and on to Little Melton. The Melton Road brings me out on the B1108 just above Bawburgh so I headed to the right and towards Norwich rather than down the hill, in the dark to Bawburgh. Anyway, I'd only have to go up the other side to an even darker country road with over hanging trees left, right & centre also, it's a bit spooky there.
Down the hill was nice, dark but nice my lights did a good job though, then gently up the other side which brought me to the traffic lights to the hospital. Then up the short sharp hill into the hospital complex and Hubster was waiting at the layby for me.

I have got to change that saddle. It was nice but I have now lost 10kg since buying the PX and now that saddle is a thing of torture. My seat bones really really ache, especially where my pelvis mended. Thought I might try a Charge Spoon.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Best ride of the year so far bar none. Just bluddy brilliant.

72km to and through the Surrey Hills and back with a mate in tow. 25.2kph moving average which for me/us, in that terrain, is quick. Glorious weather. Stunning scenery. The view over to Chanctonbury Ring on the South Downs from the south face of Leith Hill required a "Stopping!" just to drink it in. Talking of drinking; great coffee and cake at Peaslake and a man in drag, chapeau!, directing the charity riders. Good banter with other riders all morning inc my fave of the day "Big ring climbing! ***k yeah!" from one of the few people I passed. (EDIT: Bikehike estimates it at 1216m of climbing and I count four uphill chevrons and one uphill double chevron on the OS map)

Oh, and I was wearing a smile and my CycleChat jersey so maybe we will get some new recruits!

Last edited:

BSRU

A Human Being
Had a lie in this morning, so didn't get out until 5;30 but managed a good 100km with 1,180 metres of going up.
Out later then I would normally be so on the way home after 8;30 saw lots of cyclists enjoying the warm sunshine:thumbsup:.

No cake after the ride as I ate it last night when watching the world cup, so just a large stick of rock as reward.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Got back yesterday from a week's holiday in Brittany. We stayed in a villa on the Rance estuary to the south of St Malo and I explored most of the roads, villages and towns in the area stretching from there to the south of Dinan on the both sides of the river. Cycled 283 miles in total with 15,000+ft of climbing. Photos to come at some point, but I took 850 so still going through them all.

This was my first cycling holiday and I quickly realised that in future, I'd rather spend a maximum of two nights in any one place as I kept looking wistfully at the map and places out of reach.

One one example of bad driving, which made coming home a bit of a shock. A camper van performed a rather reckless overtaking manoeuvre on a blind corner and then proceeded to slam on the brakes and crawl down the hill, thereby endangering us all and rubbing in the salt by ruining what would have been a great descent. Guess which country's plates the camper was sporting? :cursing:

The weather was glorious and the food was superb but I'm pleased to be home amongst the hills of my adopted county.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom