Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Made time for the 3rd ride of my holiday today. Got up early and out before the real heat of the day. Only 16.2 miles in all, but that doesn't tell the whole story, as the first 8 were basically downhill, and the last 8 were almost continuously back up again - that's the thing with staying in a hill-top village in gorge country. Started in the village of Montgaillard. It's a very basic hilltop village, with quite a few empty properties. Most of the rest are either owned by British ex-pats or else lived in by local wine growers. The main square is cool and shady, with a couple of water troughs, a post box and a defibrulater. I used the post box to post a couple of cards back home, and I cooled my wrists in a water trough on my way back. Thankfully I have yet to need the defibrulator.

108 Main Square, Montgaillard.jpg The shady main square, Montgaillard

109.jpg The water trough, or "lavoir"

The first 1.4 miles take you down to a road junction and the only few hundred yards of flat land for miles around. From there it is a nice 4 mile glide down the gorge of the river Torgan, past limestone rock formations and a river bed full of bamboo reeds to the local village of Padern, with its castle perched above.

110 Bart Simpson Rock.jpg Some of the rocks above the local gorge. Mrs Donger and I think of this one as "Bart Simpson Rock"

After Padern, I turned left to follow the road down further trhrough the Verdouble gorge, past the parts I didn't get to see the other day because of the dangerous howling wind. I may not always succeed first time, but I bide my time. Then began the 8 mile slog back up to Montgaillard, via Padern again, where the cicadas and frogs in the reed bed were making an unbelievable cacophony. There were some small trout in the river, but there was not much water left for them. I imagine they will have to make do with rock pools soon.

111 Gorge du Verdouble.jpg The gorge of the river Verdouble

112 Padern.jpg Padern and its castle

Thankfully it clouded over a little before the steepest part of the climb back up, and the whole climb went comfortably.

113.jpg Distant view of Montgaillard

Quick shower and off out for lunch in Duilhac, where we drove up to the ruined cather castle of Peyrepertuse, then spent the whole afternoon in the pool, where an eagle circled overhead.

Tomorrow may be my last day here, but I have a short but outrageous ride planned (the road up to Peyrepertuse may be only 2.5 miles long, but it is steep and it has a series of ridiculously tight hairpin bends that were as challenging a drive as anything I have encountered in the Alps or the Pyrenees. These take you up from what is already a hill-top village, to a castle perched apparently vertically above it on a limestone cliff...... There is an amazing belvedere (sky walkway viewpoint) there. I simply have to try to get up to it.

I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers, Donger.

2 rides... yesterday I went out to meet my OH from work again - needed something to do and a means of getting out of the house to motivate myself... spot on 50.0km though I will confess to having cycled around the fish pond because as I looked down to stop the trip it said 49.9km and I could not leave it at that...

A picture from my ride - my 'text me' point so that he is waiting for me when I get to his work place!

IMG_0700.JPG

Managed to get one of the local QOM's ^_^ on the run as well so quite chuffed. http://www.strava.com/activities/160829415

Then today's ride/commute over to my parents' home for more slave labour gardening that they can't manage at the moment - had some fun with a mole of all things on the way out. It had 3 attempts at committing suicide under my wheels, it failed at each attempt, having run out of a driveway (there are fields opposite that house) found/heard my wheel in the way, veered back away, tried again, found/heard my wheel in the way yet again, ran back towards what was now a wall, hit it, rebounded off it and had a third attempt on at getting itself run over. I was beginning to feel picked on! :laugh: It was all a little on the comical side tbh.
Otherwise managed to get another QOM ^_^ on today's ride despite the overall ride being quite a lot slower than normal. 67.3km http://www.strava.com/activities/161249880 (no picture today, weather not great, it was raining when I set out and quite windy on the way home (headwind as always!) and the mole was not that interested in being my model.)

Given the forecast for tomorrow and the fact I'm rather tired, I won't try making it 3 QOM's in 3 days.... :whistle:

gavgav

Legendary Member
Made time for the 3rd ride of my holiday today. Got up early and out before the real heat of the day. Only 16.2 miles in all, but that doesn't tell the whole story, as the first 8 were basically downhill, and the last 8 were almost continuously back up again - that's the thing with staying in a hill-top village in gorge country. Started in the village of Montgaillard. It's a very basic hilltop village, with quite a few empty properties. Most of the rest are either owned by British ex-pats or else lived in by local wine growers. The main square is cool and shady, with a couple of water troughs, a post box and a defibrulater. I used the post box to post a couple of cards back home, and I cooled my wrists in a water trough on my way back. Thankfully I have yet to need the defibrulator.

View attachment 49327 The shady main square, Montgaillard

View attachment 49328 The water trough, or "lavoir"

The first 1.4 miles take you down to a road junction and the only few hundred yards of flat land for miles around. From there it is a nice 4 mile glide down the gorge of the river Torgan, past limestone rock formations and a river bed full of bamboo reeds to the local village of Padern, with its castle perched above.

View attachment 49329 Some of the rocks above the local gorge. Mrs Donger and I think of this one as "Bart Simpson Rock"

After Padern, I turned left to follow the road down further trhrough the Verdouble gorge, past the parts I didn't get to see the other day because of the dangerous howling wind. I may not always succeed first time, but I bide my time. Then began the 8 mile slog back up to Montgaillard, via Padern again, where the cicadas and frogs in the reed bed were making an unbelievable cacophony. There were some small trout in the river, but there was not much water left for them. I imagine they will have to make do with rock pools soon.

View attachment 49330 The gorge of the river Verdouble

View attachment 49331 Padern and its castle

Thankfully it clouded over a little before the steepest part of the climb back up, and the whole climb went comfortably.

View attachment 49332 Distant view of Montgaillard

Quick shower and off out for lunch in Duilhac, where we drove up to the ruined cather castle of Peyrepertuse, then spent the whole afternoon in the pool, where an eagle circled overhead.

Tomorrow may be my last day here, but I have a short but outrageous ride planned (the road up to Peyrepertuse may be only 2.5 miles long, but it is steep and it has a series of ridiculously tight hairpin bends that were as challenging a drive as anything I have encountered in the Alps or the Pyrenees. These take you up from what is already a hill-top village, to a castle perched apparently vertically above it on a limestone cliff...... There is an amazing belvedere (sky walkway viewpoint) there. I simply have to try to get up to it.

I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers, Donger.
Look forward to reading about your final ride!!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, posted today..
It was my granddaughters school fête yesterday afternoon, so I planned to call in there on my way out, meet up with her and my daughter, have a hotdog and play some tombola and throw some wet sponges at the teachers for a while. great fun was had by all ^_^
After leaving them at about 5, I had 1½ hours before I was going to meet up with a mate for an evening ride into the countryside.
I reckoned I had time for a blast round Pitsford and was surprised how quiet it was. Several runners, but few out on bikes and hardly any dog walkers. That's rare for an evening as it's a popular place.

Anyway, it meant I could get a fairly fast time up one side, but had a bit of a headwind down t'other. Fun though :thumbsup:

DSC_2522.jpg

A bit of graffiti under the overflow tunnels by the dam wall..

DSC_2516.jpg

DSC_2518.jpg

On the way back, I stopped of at the remains of an old church, still active as a burial ground though. (Church of St John I think?)

I was nearing Moulton at about the right time to meet up, so with a quick water bottle top up, we started out for our bridleway tour of the area. The bugs were out in force in one section, so we had to try to outrun them for a mile. I only got one bite, but Alan got several. Such is life....

DSC_2527-1 (1).jpg

Crackin' place to ride around though, and not a soul in sight or car to be heard!
We finished the route by about 8:30 ish. Lovely evening for it, with mainly sun, but a bit of wind to keep it a bit cooler, as as soon as the breeze dropped, the humidity took over.
map6.png

A great ride, if a bit convoluted, at some points I thought I could see myself in the distance! :laugh:

40 miles by the time I got home.

http://www.strava.com/activities/161333306

:smile:

Bryony

Veteran
My ride on Wednesday (I know I'm a bit late!!:rolleyes:) was a nice little ride along the coast from Margate to Reculver. I was riding with one of the ladies from the cycling club I've just joined, she also has a heart condition so understands what its like cycling with a heart problem.

It was beautiful weather, very warm and no wind. Our trip out to Reculver along the Viking Coastal Trail was uneventful, we cruised along talking about our medical problems like a couple of old ladies chatting about their aches and pains!:laugh:

We got to Reculver and stopped for coffee, cake and a natter. As we left Reculver for the return journey Nicola noticed that she had been paid a visit from the puncture fairy. :evil:Nicola was a puncture virgin, and I had only fixed a puncture once before on my MTB, but we got to it and with a bit of team work we found the teeny weeny bit of glass that caused it, took the old tube out, put the new tube in, got it all pumped up!:wahhey:

We set off again but a couple of miles down the road her tyre was going down again :sad: so off came the wheel again, but we couldn't find any signs of another puncture, and a nice old guy that stopped to see if we needed help also couldn't find any signs of a puncture so we pumped it up again and got the wheel back on, thanked the man for his help (he told us if we were a couple of blokes he'd have kept going!:laugh:) and we set off again.

Unfortunately every couple of miles we had to stop and pump Nicola's tyre up (turned out the valve was faulty) but it was still a great ride. 20 very :sun: miles with great company. No photos this time we were too busy chatting!!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Had to take SWMBO's car for fixing today, so the 'utility' bike came out. My first bike since I started riding again a few years back, a Boardman MTB. Unbelievably hard work on 26" wheels and 2.1" knobbly tyres in comparison to the hybrid & road bikes, but since I was travelling only a few miles not an issue. The saddle, on the other hand, is getting changed, sore bits after such a short ride will not do! Any recommendations? Or shall I fit a Charge Spoon.....
A huge 3.4 miles for me today. Looking forward to dodging the rain in the morning...

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
the kill you or cure you approach then?

(I'm on the they are a torture device side of life btw! - most <insert swear word here> uncomfortable thing I have ever tried to sit on!) :laugh:
Went into my LBS today. One of the mechanics was setting out to test ride a bike post-service and looked horribly uncomfortable. I asked what the problem was. "Just fitted a brand new Brooks..."

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have just shepherded Hubster round my 'Is it a mouse' route only I missed the top of his ear off as I didn't do a small loop of a local street first. The last time I did that route, it had rained hard and Green Lane was flooded so I added a bit.

Anyway, no rain today. It was sunny and beautiful and I had got home from work, had a bit of lunch and was fed up waiting for my promised cup of tea to come.
It's a nice ride, the mouse ride. Off to Wattlefield, loop back to Ashwellthorpe and then down through Silfield and home again. I only needed to do 9 miles to hit my target today and did 10.5 so that was OK. 47:12 mins so averaged 13.4 mph. Always slower when I have Hubster along with me.
I still have a really annoying click coming from my BB somewhere. Hubster says that he will take our BB spanner to it and have a look see. I shall be most peed off if I need a new one as the bike is 570 miles old. If taking out the BB and giving it a clean doesn't work I'll pop it to Howards, my local LBS for a look see as that click/tick is driving me bonkers.

I have just shepherded Hubster round my 'Is it a mouse' route only I missed the top of his ear off as I didn't do a small loop of a local street first. The last time I did that route, it had rained hard and Green Lane was flooded so I added a bit.

Anyway, no rain today. It was sunny and beautiful and I had got home from work, had a bit of lunch and was fed up waiting for my promised cup of tea to come.
It's a nice ride, the mouse ride. Off to Wattlefield, loop back to Ashwellthorpe and then down through Silfield and home again. I only needed to do 9 miles to hit my target today and did 10.5 so that was OK. 47:12 mins so averaged 13.4 mph. Always slower when I have Hubster along with me.
I still have a really annoying click coming from my BB somewhere. Hubster says that he will take our BB spanner to it and have a look see. I shall be most peed off if I need a new one as the bike is 570 miles old. If taking out the BB and giving it a clean doesn't work I'll pop it to Howards, my local LBS for a look see as that click/tick is driving me bonkers.
sadly I can't tell you if it is a mouse or not because it says I don't have sufficient privileges :sad:

Spartak