Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Why dont you annoy someone else for a change? :laugh::laugh:

It's a slow day, I've had nothing to do after my Germany trip got cancelled.

I even did some ironing.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I thought of starting a new thread called "Your Boat Ride Today" for today's ride, but I wasn't on a boat, however could have done with one!! Read on to see why......

I checked the forecast and rain radar at about 9ish and the Met Office suggested a few light showers this morning and maybe one or two heavier one's at about 2pm and so I would be fine........hmmmm.

There was a bit of light drizzle blowing in the wind as I set off for some new territory, with a trip around The Wrekin.

All was fine as I headed through Uffington, Upton Magna, Upton Forge and Wroxeter, where I had to pull in for a large farm vehicle, which was being chased at high speed by a Greyhound/Lurcher type dog!!

I could see The Wrekin and it looked a little bit black and as though I may get a little but wet over that way, but nothing too untoward.

I continued to follow the NCN route towards Little Wenlock and as I started the big climb, 600 ft in 4 miles, up Spout Lane, the rain started to get heavier and heavier and heavier until, by the time I had reached the top it was coming down in absolute torrents.

I have only once before experienced rain like it, in a thunderstorm when out for a drink with @Rickshaw Phil a few years back.

I continued onwards, having no choice really, and the rain just got heavier, so that by the time I descended into Ercall Wood I could hardly see where I was going due to the rain running into my eyes. As I reached the bottom of the hill there was so much water in the road that I had to cycle down the middle and through a flood at the bottom that cars were turning around to avoid going through.

I was on new territory now, but hating every minute of it and I turned up Wrekin Course and on towards Rushton, where a knob sped past me and showered me with floodwater.

There was nowhere to shelter out in the sticks and so it was onto Charlton Hill where the rain reached it's peak. I just couldn't believe it's intensity and it was running down the hill as a fast torrent, meaning I had to pull over as I was now aquaplaning and near to coming off and what had been a bit of a laugh for a bit was now becoming downright dangerous.

After about 5 minutes it slowed down very slightly and I braved it back towards Wroxeter, where the route around to the vineyard and Viriconium was now impassable to cars and I was basically sailing my way through the floods and puddles.

Once I got back to Upton Forge it started to become drizzle again and back at Uffington the roads were bone dry!!!!

Just bloody typical.

I was absolutely freezing by now and couldn't feel my hands enough to grip the handlebars very well and I could feel the water sloshing around in my shoes.

I arrived back home in much need of a hot shower to warm myself up and now have everything hanging out to dry.

My worst ride ever and something I never want to repeat.

30.01 miles
11.7 avg mph
1600 ft of climbing
About 3 inches of water!!
A like for the report but :ohmy: for the weather. It rained for a while here but nothing as torrential as that.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
Decided to give the Longstaff a spin & in an excess of proactive planning loaded the Barley up with a good deal of the kit I expect to carry on a night ride hop over the Pennines.5xP.

Took the direct route (A522) to Uttoxeter to call into the bank & Uttoxeter Cycles who didn't have a decent U-lock in stock.
Exited town past the racecourse & rail station to take the longer long-way home.

Bike/brain interface was in default mode in Bramshall & a pit stop was made at the Strawberry Farm Garden Centre where my wife was found having a wander&alooksee
Back through Nobutt,Church Leigh,Lower Leigh,Moor Lane at the end of which another pit stop took place at my favourite grass triangle with a bench under a tree for resting in the shade
A quick saddle fettle was executed here before pootling home via Leigh Bank & Lower Tean.

A sudden downpour arrived j.i.t. to give me a good soaking before getting home. However the skintex finish to my legs is 100% wind & waterproof

32km in approx. 2 hours 20mins which isn't too shabby considering the amount of off-bike time incurred.The need to maintain a recently developed habit of a ride every other day or so was the incentive to ride so mission accomplished.

My ride today was an extended ride over to my parents' home to do yet more gardening. However, having had yesterday's ride cut short I decided to make the commute slightly longer... so I set out heading northwards for a destination that is South East of me doing a @Supersuperleeds approach to my commute.

Not much really happened on the way out, other than car drivers being helpful and kind and me failing to double check my garmin directions were actually all roads :whistle:...
One of my minor B roads was mayhem, a local major A road is closed at the moment and I had not appreciated that some of the traffic had been diverted onto this minor B road, so it was head down and get it over and done with.

I did, however, spot these 2 beauties at the side of the road and could not resist taking a photo of them.

IMG_0705.JPG

The front one is called Achilles I couldn't make the name/number out of the rear one sadly.

Coming home was more interesting because the nice calm conditions of earlier had become a nasty headwind which was wiping me out. More interestingly it seemed to be coming from all angles at once as well (except from that legendary direction called a tailwind...). I only had the 1 bad overtake coming home and it wasn't really me that had the issue. Lorry 1 decided to overtake me come what may. Lorry 2 had to stop otherwise he was going to have been rammed off the road... He wasn't impressed, but thankfully had the sense to realise it was not my fault.

Later on, and I realised that my usual route home was going to get me to 93km... I couldn't leave it at that knowing that my OH was going to be late home, so headed off to add a few extra km's... going up the final hill I was caught up and passed by 1 male cyclist and a few moments later another pulled alongside me and checked to see if I was OK. Explaining that I was coming to the end of a long commute of 65 miles was a touch embarrassing :blush:. He was subsequently a touch embarrassed about only being out for a 40 mile ride but stayed with me for the next few km's as we chatted before I headed off down my lane. Thank you, it was much appreciated and best wishes on the Liverpool to Paris Sportive you are doing very soon.

101km in mostly sunshine and some windy conditions. http://www.strava.com/activities/163333147

thetribe

Über Member
The plan today was to cycle into Newcastle down the coast, yup, for the first time I was going to head South instead of North. Forecast said light showers and mainly sunny spells so I was planning on leaving at 7am just after my wife left for work. Thankfully I decided I may need the bike lock that was with my daughter on nightshift (cycles to work) so I waited for her to get home. Just as she got in it went totally black and the thunder started, we had thunder for 20 minutes before any sign of rain but once it came it really came down. Thought that was my day over but by the afternoon the sun was out and sky was blue so headed out, South.

Followed NCN Route 1, Coast & Castles South, through Blyth and Seaton Sluice to St Mary's Lighthouse at Whitley Bay. Lovely ride taken nice and steady as I'd not cycled it before so wanted to take it in. Heading back the wind had picked up and was in my face but I managed to get home faster than I got there. 34.3 miles at 13.1mph in the end, not as far as I wanted today but better than not getting out (or getting drenched).

Cycle path runs along the river at Blyth
IMG_7960.JPG

Few colourful boats
IMG_7966.JPG

And colourful beach huts at Blyth Beach
IMG_7968.JPG

St Mary's Lighthouse, Whitley Bay
IMG_7974.JPG

St Mary's Lighthouse, Whitley Bay, from the car park.
IMG_7976.JPG

Looking over towards Whitley Bay centre from the lighthouse, may just be able to make out the Spanish City in the centre. Many a day spent in there when a kid, amusements and more.
IMG_7978.JPG

Can never have enough of a sea view
IMG_7981.JPG

Maybe next time I'll reach Newcastle.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I've just had a brilliant ride. To think that I didn't really want to go but kicked myself up the bum as I knew that I'd enjoy it once out and I'd regret it if I didn't go.

I rode from home to the hospital via Little Melton, which is a nice route. At the main Wymondham lights a young chap caught me up on his brand new (bought that day) Spesh roadie. It was a black one so I knew that it wouldn't keep up :laugh: Everyone knows that they are not as fast as Blue bikes. He was heading to Norwich and back so asked if he could tag along. I said yes but suggested that when he got bored with going so slowly that he went off on his own as I'd probably not keep up.
We chatted as we rode and lad seemed to think that I was going via Hethersett but I said 'where's the fun in that' and headed off down Tuttles Lane and along Melton Road. We got up to a nice speed and rode along. I was having a blast and he was breathing a bit more heavily than I was but he said that he was fine so we carried on. We piled around a few corners and lad seemed shocked that I wasn't braking. He said that he drives around these corners more respectfully than I was howling around them. Bless him.
As we went up the hill to the B1108, I expected him to pass me but he was well back and I waited at the top while he panted up the last bit (the hill is only uppy at the bottom, the top end is an easy rise). From there it's an easy ride over the A11 roundabouts above the duel carriageway and then down the B1108 into Colney. I headed off to the right to the hospital and the lad carried on to Norwich looking a bit less cool than when he caught me up. Actually, he looked really knackered and looked like he was hurting a bit :tongue:
Heigh ho, that lad'll scalp me within a couple of weeks but it was nice to have the company.

10.13 miles in 37:37 so averaging 16.1mph. I was really chuffed with that as I wasn't trying particularly hard and had a great ride.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Great day out today at Cannock on the Monkey Trail.. Only 13 miles, but none of it flat. Uphill or downhill!

Originally, six of us were going, but eventually, due to family stuff, it ended up as four.

As we took the bikes of the rack in the car park, I noticed, luckily, a thorn sticking out of the tyre that I must have picked up on the way to meet the chaps. After extracting the bits that I could, I was hoping that the Slime would do it's job, but as it started going down a bit after 100 yards, I thought it better to pop a new tube in rather than get half way round and have a problem with it. Luckily the shop had a canopy in front of it so we could shelter from the incorrect weather forecast! :rain:
Pumped up and ready to rumble, we headed off on the trail. Due to the rain, lots of the first section was really slippery and care had to be taken over the rounded stones as it was easy to lose the front wheel on the corners. The woodwork wasn't too bad though, surprisingly!

aDSC_2531.jpg

One chap hadn't ridden a trail like this before so he was a bit more cautious (sensibly) than us, but still managed to catch a wheel in a rut and throw himself off the bike. He had a sore wrist for a while but he soldiered manfully on...:thumbsup:

aDSC_2533.jpg

A quick fettle with the suspension settings at the start of the Monkey. I was happy to get a PB up the hill, even though I had to push the bike for a couple of feet, when the back tyre spun out, as I couldn't get the grip to restart on the gradient. On my old Hardrock, I couldn't even get up there at all! On the SL4 and the Marin though, I don't usually have much trouble.
There are a few 'off piste' sections to be found as well as the well worn trails. This section, when we discovered it last year, was all but unrideable due to the steepness and the fact that it was covered in branches that slid you off in all directions, including over the handlebars...

aDSC_2545.jpg

Now though, it's nearly rideable, but just as steep! (I'm guessing at 1:3, 1;4 possibly) and slippery on the sandy gullies..
Some of the trail had been cordoned off for maintenance, including three of the rock gardens, but other parts had had the braking bumps smoothed out were much easier to get some speed over.

aDSC_2561.jpg

The Werewolf Drop, now a bit easier after some rockwork has been added, is still quite steep, and a challenge for newcomers to off-road trails.

At this point, after alternate sun and rain, we could hear thunder rumbling around, but with only about 3 miles to go, we hoped to get back before the black clouds dropped their lot on us.

As luck would have it, just as we exited the trail via the brilliant Stone Rollers section, the heavens started to open.
100 yards later, we got into the café for coffee and to shelter from the storm...

aDSC_2566.jpg

At least the bikes got a good wash! I've not seen rain like this in England for years.. Proper tropical downpour it was, and it went on for ages. More time to drink coffee though, but we had to wait until we got back to the cars to break open the pineapple cake I made for the trip :hungry:

cannock.png

cannocks.png

Only 13 miles with nearly 2,500 ft of climbing, but it's so much fun there, even after half a dozen times!

flowers-sml.jpg

And my favourite piccie of the day... :laugh:

http://www.strava.com/activities/163285132
^_^

Last edited:

Bryony

Veteran
A bit late again but you'll understand why when I explain!

My ride on Sunday was not on a bike but in an ambulance :sad: I'd been out with David and the kids, did a bit of window shopping in the new Evans Cycles in Maidstone, had a nice buffet lunch then went on to Canterbury for a wander round.

Anyway we were on our way back home, queuing in the Canterbury traffic when all of a sudden our car is smashed into from behind:wacko: I immediately had intense pain in my back and I was paralysed with the pain. Luckily David was fine and so were the kids. It turned out that the car that hit us was also stationary and was hit from behind first!

Anyway I'm still stuck in the car in extreme pain so an ambulance is called. The paramedics checked me over then began talking about maybe having to have the roof cut off the car cut off to get me out!! Luckily it didn't come to that and they managed to get me out using a big back brace thing (and gas and air for the pain) I was then vacuum packed in a special mattress to immobilise me.

I got checked out at the hospital and luckily it's nothing serious just the usual neck/back injuries and I was discharged 4 hours later.

The car is a write off apparently we were hit at approximately 30mph! To look at the car it looks barely damaged but the damage is all underneath. The guy (in his early 20's driving a modified golf) that caused the crash has admitted liability and said he didn't notice the traffic had stopped!:wacko:

The insurance company referred us to a solicitor to put in a personal injury claim (David is now suffering from whiplash) we have given them brief details of our injuries and they said we have a case so will go ahead with the claim (I feel a bike purchase coming on!:laugh:)

David had spoken to his ex wife to check on the kids to make sure they're not suffering any delayed effects because if they are we can claim for them too!

Anyway I'm feeling extremely battered an bruised and really peed off I can't get out on the bike (had my first 50mile ride planned this weekend) but I am thankful that it wasn't more serious especially with the kids in the car!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A bit late again but you'll understand why when I explain!

My ride on Sunday was not on a bike but in an ambulance :sad: I'd been out with David and the kids, did a bit of window shopping in the new Evans Cycles in Maidstone, had a nice buffet lunch then went on to Canterbury for a wander round.

Anyway we were on our way back home, queuing in the Canterbury traffic when all of a sudden our car is smashed into from behind:wacko: I immediately had intense pain in my back and I was paralysed with the pain. Luckily David was fine and so were the kids. It turned out that the car that hit us was also stationary and was hit from behind first!

Anyway I'm still stuck in the car in extreme pain so an ambulance is called. The paramedics checked me over then began talking about maybe having to have the roof cut off the car cut off to get me out!! Luckily it didn't come to that and they managed to get me out using a big back brace thing (and gas and air for the pain) I was then vacuum packed in a special mattress to immobilise me.

I got checked out at the hospital and luckily it's nothing serious just the usual neck/back injuries and I was discharged 4 hours later.

The car is a write off apparently we were hit at approximately 30mph! To look at the car it looks barely damaged but the damage is all underneath. The guy (in his early 20's driving a modified golf) that caused the crash has admitted liability and said he didn't notice the traffic had stopped!:wacko:

The insurance company referred us to a solicitor to put in a personal injury claim (David is now suffering from whiplash) we have given them brief details of our injuries and they said we have a case so will go ahead with the claim (I feel a bike purchase coming on!:laugh:)

David had spoken to his ex wife to check on the kids to make sure they're not suffering any delayed effects because if they are we can claim for them too!

Anyway I'm feeling extremely battered an bruised and really peed off I can't get out on the bike (had my first 50mile ride planned this weekend) but I am thankful that it wasn't more serious especially with the kids in the car!
Blimey! To shunt a car that badly into your car, a lot of speed must have been involved!! I hope you recover well and that the rest of the people in the cars are OK. Compo is good, but good health is better..

Bryony

Veteran
Yes the guys that got shunted into us got taken to hospital just as precaution but they were just leaving the hospital as I was being wheeled in! And as far as I know the guy that caused the crash got picked up by a mate and taken home once the police had spoken to him.

Yes totally agree health is so much more important especially with kids luckily they are none the worse and were quite excited about being able to sit in an ambulance!!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Managed a ride on the Ibis today. Working a late shift so I had the morning spare. Cubester has packed on some muscle in the gym recently and now needs to shift some of the upholstery that has come with it. I persuaded him to give the gym a miss and ride a short loop with his old man. He did ten miles on my road bike yesterday and said it felt twitchy, so today I suggested we did the same route off road. He jumped at the chance but insisted I ride my Ibis, as he reckons he won't keep up with me on the Soul. I found him lubing the chain on his MTB in the garage straight after breakfast and so we set off. He'd stacked my Ibis on a moorland path last week, and I discovered he'd knocked the bars out of alignment, so he was sent back to get the right Allen key to fix it. :evil:

We went up a nearby dirt track to a singletrack descent and it was clear he was a bit hesitant. Nevertheless we did the loop, with me showing him some local trails he didn't know about. There's a Strava segment over a moorland path where I was determined to set a PB, and the dry singletrack was very grippy. He may have been able to keep up on the climbs, but I blew him away on that bit. I realised about a mile after the path that my Garmin had stopped timing. I was gutted as I realised I had probably brushed the stop button as I went through a gate, so had blitzed the segment with nothing to show for it.

To capit all we had set off in bright sunshine, and a couple of miles from home we were hit by a massive rainstorm. Drowned rats, we stripped off int he kitchen and threw all the kit into the washer.

I uploaded the garmîn to Strava and found I had stopped the timer right at the end of the Moorland path, and had indeed smashed my previous best by twenty seconds. I was also second fastest fat knacker, and sixth fastest old git. Result.

albion

Guru
My weekend was extended by an extra couple of days.
Yesterday I followed north of the Tyne to Corbridge and Hexham for a tortuous climb up past Fourstones for Hardians wall to Greenhead. At Bramton I again left the cyle route and followed the A689 to Carlisle to catch the last train back. 66 miles.

Today, for similar, the forecast was a black one north of the Tyne so I followed a south tyne route to Crawbrook, Ryton, Prudhoe, Riding Mill and Hexham. From Hexham I headed slightly west south west away from the black cloud stuff past Stublick Chimney to join the A686 to Alston.
The moor to Alston was an epic climb far surpassing the steep slog out of Hexham. From there it was relatively easy heading along ther A689 north then east to Bramton for the same route to Carlisle. Those A roads were gloriously near traffic free making for 77 spectacular miles.

What a difference a day makes. Mondays light headwind meant the Hadrians wall route was the ordeal I well know/avoid, whilst todays light fresh tail wind made maybe a more major climb quite a pleasure.

Last edited:
I thought of starting a new thread called "Your Boat Ride Today" for today's ride, but I wasn't on a boat, however could have done with one!! Read on to see why......

I checked the forecast and rain radar at about 9ish and the Met Office suggested a few light showers this morning and maybe one or two heavier one's at about 2pm and so I would be fine........hmmmm.

There was a bit of light drizzle blowing in the wind as I set off for some new territory, with a trip around The Wrekin.

All was fine as I headed through Uffington, Upton Magna, Upton Forge and Wroxeter, where I had to pull in for a large farm vehicle, which was being chased at high speed by a Greyhound/Lurcher type dog!!

I could see The Wrekin and it looked a little bit black and as though I may get a little but wet over that way, but nothing too untoward.

I continued to follow the NCN route towards Little Wenlock and as I started the big climb, 600 ft in 4 miles, up Spout Lane, the rain started to get heavier and heavier and heavier until, by the time I had reached the top it was coming down in absolute torrents.

I have only once before experienced rain like it, in a thunderstorm when out for a drink with @Rickshaw Phil a few years back.

I continued onwards, having no choice really, and the rain just got heavier, so that by the time I descended into Ercall Wood I could hardly see where I was going due to the rain running into my eyes. As I reached the bottom of the hill there was so much water in the road that I had to cycle down the middle and through a flood at the bottom that cars were turning around to avoid going through.

I was on new territory now, but hating every minute of it and I turned up Wrekin Course and on towards Rushton, where a knob sped past me and showered me with floodwater.

There was nowhere to shelter out in the sticks and so it was onto Charlton Hill where the rain reached it's peak. I just couldn't believe it's intensity and it was running down the hill as a fast torrent, meaning I had to pull over as I was now aquaplaning and near to coming off and what had been a bit of a laugh for a bit was now becoming downright dangerous.

After about 5 minutes it slowed down very slightly and I braved it back towards Wroxeter, where the route around to the vineyard and Viriconium was now impassable to cars and I was basically sailing my way through the floods and puddles.

Once I got back to Upton Forge it started to become drizzle again and back at Uffington the roads were bone dry!!!!

Just bloody typical.

I was absolutely freezing by now and couldn't feel my hands enough to grip the handlebars very well and I could feel the water sloshing around in my shoes.

I arrived back home in much need of a hot shower to warm myself up and now have everything hanging out to dry.

My worst ride ever and something I never want to repeat.

30.01 miles
11.7 avg mph
1600 ft of climbing
About 3 inches of water!!

Edit: link to newspaper article about today's rain http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2014/07/08/shropshire-roads-and-trains-hit-by-flooding/
Character building

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom