Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Combi

Picture I took coming back from this morning's ride. :sun:

It's along one of my favorite sections of Route 33 (between Flax Bourton and Backwell). The weather generally has been kind to Somerset this summer -- makes up (a bit) for last winter!

BikePath.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Following my longest ride to date on Monday, today was about spinning my way through a 20 - 30 mile ride. Once again my plans to get the dog a new toy were thwarted by the RSPCA centre not opening until 1130, and I needed to be home by 12 to make SWMBO's lunch. Still, I had a route in mind so headed out towards St Annes Hill in Chertsey before crossing the motorway into Lyne Village. From here it was out through Foxhills into Chobham, where my route changed a little. Idle curiosity I suppose, but I saw a sign post stating 'road unsuitable for motor vehicles', and it was called Steep Hill, wonder what that's about then:huh:. Turned out not to be very steep, and since I got passed by more than 1 car it seems it is also suitable for motor vehicles:rolleyes: That left me lost, and it was out with the NavFree app that someone here recommended to find my way back to known roads. Ambled on into Sunningdale, pausing at Titlarks Hill (calling @Fnaar ) for a bit of Soreen. Much as I would love to provide a photo of the road sign, a local was in his garden and probably sick of people doing just that. Shame, would have gone nicely with Mincing Lane from the Spring:laugh:
More new territory from here took me through Sunningdale Village before finding myself on familiar ground at WGP. By this time I'd done 20 miles, and 200 metres of climbing, more than an avid hill avoider like me wants to do. So, I went into the park and did the 4 hills which always challenge me, the 3 next to the Royal School plus the one leading to the 3rd horse.
Funny old weather today, started really chilly, to the point I nearly went out with 3/4's, but in the end just a long sleeved top. After a couple of hours it warmed a little, but still not S/S weather.
33 miles today, and a record (for me) of 414m, or 1,365ft of climbing.
Out of interest, does anyone know why my Garmin 500 records distance in miles (that's imperial), and yet measures my elevation in metres (metric..)?? Can I change it to ft?

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I did something a bit different today and got the train from Taunton to Highbridge so I could do a recce for a ride I'm leading this weekend. That will start and finish in Axbridge but needs must etc.

The ride was very nearly cut short in the first couple of miles thanks to a bad decision by the driver of the support / warning vehicle for one those extra-wide / long / slow vehicles who decided to pull out of a side road ahead of me while I was blasting along at 25mph (yes, there was a tailwind :shy:). The lorry followed and I had to slam on the brakes to avoid getting mushed. I followed for a bit at 20mph but once it was safe, overtook but made sure to slow down when I was next to the support vehicle so I could give the driver my best glare. That message delivered :rolleyes: I conjured up the memory of every sprint finish I've watched and forced my legs into action, pulling away at 27mph. My legs were screaming in pain by the time I'd gone around enough corners to be able to slow up but I think I made my point.

I got to the station with no further drama, alighted in Highbridge and headed across the Levels for Axbridge.

Mendip Hills 9july14 (800x600).jpg

Mendip Hills 9july14 (2) (450x600).jpg

I wasn't expecting a steep descent en route but managed 41mph so it was big grins all round.

Heading up the cliff road through the Gorge was as "easy" as I remembered, in that there's one horrible steep bit on a sharp left-hand bend but otherwise it's just a slog to the top. It was a bit blowy up on the Mendips so I didn't stop to take any photos but the views were magnificent as always.

I hit 41.5mph on the way down and treated myself to a delicious bacon and egg bap at the Strawberry Line cafe in Yatton before heading down the former railway line for what I think is the most boring section of the route. It was really overgrown so although the sun had come out, there weren't any views to be seen behind the screens of hedges and undergrowth.

Bacon and egg butty at Yatton 9july14 (800x600).jpg

I survived the Line and once I'd completed the route for Saturday, headed back to Highbridge, unfortunately going up the hill I'd blasted down on the way in. Not as much fun that time!

Mendip Hills 9july14 (3) (800x598).jpg

I had a bit of a wait for my train home so popped into Highbridge to get a drink and was intrigued by a statue opposite the shop. I'm glad I ventured over to have a look as it turned out to be a memorial for a Major Frank Foley who was born in the small, sleepy town and made an incredible contribution to the world when he was in a position to help thousands of Jewish families escape from Nazi Germany.

Highbridge memorial to Frank Foley 9july14 (450x600).jpg

Highbridge memorial to Frank Foley 9july14 (2) (800x600).jpg

And so to home. 62 miles in total with 2500ft of climbing.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I did something a bit different today and got the train from Taunton to Highbridge so I could do a recce for a ride I'm leading this weekend. That will start and finish in Axbridge but needs must etc...................
And so to home. 62 miles in total with 2500ft of climbing.

Nice one, Jo. :bravo:

I combined the Strawberry Line with Cheddar Gorge myself a few years ago when I was still a fat rookie. That first left hander on the climb up the gorge (quite near the bottom) left me flat on my back at the roadside gasping for air and looking like a dying fly. I'll probably do the gorge again later this year, just to confirm how far I have come on since then now that I'm a hardened, fat experienced cyclist.

p.s. Nice baps!:hungry:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Nice one, Jo. :bravo:

I combined the Strawberry Line with Cheddar Gorge myself a few years ago when I was still a fat rookie. That first left hander on the climb up the gorge (quite near the bottom) left me flat on my back at the roadside gasping for air and looking like a dying fly. I'll probably do the gorge again later this year, just to confirm how far I have come on since then now that I'm a hardened, fat experienced cyclist.
:laugh:

Gareth C

Veteran
Earlier in June I cycled part of The Tour de France. Next weekend I’ll be riding the whole of Stage 1. However, this weekend just gone was THE REAL THING, and I (along with one-or-two others) was there!

Saturday
An early start, leaving the house at 4am to drive down to Swaledale. We were one of the first cars into Langthwaite, but fortunately Liz had prepared breakfast for us to have in the car while the rain beat down on the roof. By around 7am the rain was easing (as forecast), and we took a steady walk down to Reeth. The village green was already busy, and a buzz of anticipation in the air. We carried on down, by The Dales Bike Centre, picking up our tickets for the event centre so we could watch the big screen later.

10534461_10152499762407180_4741783077459905714_n.jpg

Our chosen viewing spot for the day was the Cote de Grinton Moor, the final King of the Mountains stage. We were ridiculously early, but it allowed us to claim a good viewing spot where we could look back to the first part of the climb, see the flat upto the bridge, and then have the riders come directly at us on the second kick-up before 1km to-go.

There was great pre-caravan entertainment, with a gorilla running around and a brass two-piece band. Finally the caravan arrive, with their dispensing copious amounts of tat.

10547578_10152499762867180_266710688513851948_n.jpg

10351746_10152499763232180_429164221686649582_n.jpg

Then it’s another wait, punctuated by the odd official car or motorbike racing through, and then the helicopters come into view. Jens Voight has made a solo breakaway, and is cheered up the final major hill.

10489968_10152499765572180_7433487574841107455_n.jpg

A couple of minutes later the whole seething mass of the peloton come over the brow of the hill and race around past us. I know from riding this hill recently it’s do-able, but these guys make it look like its flat.

10544402_10152499766822180_6345412703251463569_n.jpg

Once the end-of-race car comes by, thousands of people start making their way down the hill. By the time we reach Reeth the race is in the final 20km. The sun is out, we’re on the grass with friends, what could be better than a win for Cav? 200 metres to go, and it all falls apart. Cav is off and injured – disaster. The reaction from the crowd at Reeth, on the TV in Harrogate, and I’m sure around the country is despair and disbelief. So near and yet so far. Get well soon Cav.

Liz and I have a long 5 mile walk in the burning sun back to the car before we head off to stay with my mother in Sheffield where I’m planning to watch Stage 2.

Sunday
My plan for today was to park “relatively close” and then cycle in. This probably meant Ladybower Reservoir, and then a brutal cycle via The Strines. Even given the number of people on the road, I still managed to cycle right up to High Bradfield to the route (which didn’t seem to be the default activity for most with a bicycle). From there, once on the route, it was seriously crowded, with pushing the only option.

After making my way through the melee to the KOM line, I realised I wouldn’t get a place here, so carried on for a couple of hundred metres and sat at the roadside. At this point I saw I had a text from my mate Patrick, so called him to find he was a mike down the road with his family. A quick cycle down there secured my spot for the day. We were on the fast descent from Cote de Bradfield, and had a view across the valley to Cote de Oughtibridge. Great to be with friends, and before you know it the caravan was coming through and then the riders.

10506840_10152499832382180_2720226234773284761_o.jpg

10446115_10152499837787180_7786546886075019168_o.jpg

10495372_10152499842107180_7208501509965250842_o.jpg

While Saturday had seen Jens Voight get a two minute lead, today had blown the peloton to bits. Sky were on the front (and we’d see on TV later Froome taking charge on Côte de Jenkin Road), but there were at least three big groups, plus many line riders zooming by, tucked in their aero positions, no accompanying cars or motorcycles. Indeed, later on many people thought the race was done and were walking home along the road, and then from up the road would come a cry of “here’s another one!” and people would scatter to the roadside.

10498233_10152499836517180_1014691158013061597_o.jpg

As I had a fair bike home, I left before the broom wagon and dropped down to Strines, before the steep climb back up to the A57 and on to Ladybower. I arrived home to see the last couple of games at Wimbledon before a quick shower and heading down the road to Essex.

Monday
Liz’s folks had kindly put us in their diary two years ago when the Grand Depart was announced, and now here we were. Parking had been arranged in Writtle, and we were sat by the roundabout just after the feedstation.

When the race finally arrived there was a break of two that would eventually be caught beside the Thames, and three minutes later the rest of the group, all eating whatever they’d ordered for the feed station. As they zoomed by a whole cloud of gel and bar wrappers were dragged along in their slipstream.

10440679_10152499848157180_1440140371249144772_n.jpg

10448579_10152499849012180_135975629315292058_o.jpg

And then it was over. Time to head back home and watch from the TV. It had been an exhausting three days, but not something you could miss when it visits our country. If the schedule is this punishing as a spectator, what must it be like as a participant?

Writing up now, its Wednesday and Chris Froome has withdrawn after a hard day on the cobbles. I think we had it easy in the spring in Flanders. Now the tour begins, again.

Last edited:
Yesterdays ride was a funny one, it has been planned for a while but I put it off until I got the results of my application for University course, well I got the results on Tuesday. The route I choose was part of the old Cumbria way on the Solway coast. I was on my way by 05:00 and followed the Eden down to Bowness on Solway and then on to Maryport, to this point (52.miles) I made excellent time and achieved the best average I have ever done over this distance. Maryport to Whitehaven was slower, navigation meant avoiding dogs and pedestrians and watching the way markers but I had expected this and was an hour ahead of my schedule.It was a beautiful day for riding and had been from the start. Then I started to hit the "Wall" and struggled a bit as far as Seascale where I recovered and made reasonable time to Ravenglass. It was a struggle out of Ravenglass and I pushed up Muncaster fell road but I was OK. Then disaster struck or rather the dreaded cramp came on. A quick check told me it was 15 miles to Millom, I only had two Crampex with me and my last train home from Millom was a couple of hours away. I like to think "Discretion was the better part of Valor" others and maybe even I will say I "chickened out" but I know how long it takes a to recover from cramp, So I headed back to Ravenglass where I knew there was a train due. I stopped the clock at Ravenglass station with 90 on it and then there was another 3.5 home, where I was alright after a shower and a meal but after I got in to bed the Cramp took it's revenge. Thank goodness SWMBO had a supply of CrampeX. Despite the cramp this was a great day and I will be back down to Ravenglass to finish the route and add a bit more to it before I start full time education for the first time since 1958.

postman

Legendary Member
Sneaky 27 miles in hot weather.Only Otley but it was enough.Got my housework done early.Not quite sure if my two lots of pills are doing me any good,because i felt crap.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Spent another morning in town. Still trying to get my saddle height right. Stop, start stop, start. Dam still isnt quite right but a hell of a lot getter than it was. Just a wee bit more should do it.

so First of all, headed out of town and towards llyn clywedog dam, which is about 15 miles away from Mach. Im exploring new roads that I can venture onto when I become fitter. This road is quite up and down, so its going to be a while before im fit enough to try getting there.
20140710_115205.jpg

Again, we have so much traffic we can hardly move
20140710_115143.jpg

after satisfying myself that it was going to be a while before i attempted to get to the dam, i turned round and went back into town. I went tthrough the park again
20140710_120155.jpg

I think this is an area where where singers can gather,or at Least some kind of enentertainment takes place here. after leaving the park, I turned right and went past the clock again.
20140710_121237.jpg

After passing the clock, I carried onto the church. We have three places of worship in Mach. One churcn and two chapels, although one chapel has been turned into an arts/entertainment centre.
20140710_122212.jpg

in the churchyard is one gravestone that was different to all the others. It was a very simple piece of slate that hadn't been finished in any way. Even the edges were uneven and hadn't had any kind of professional tooling. Even the engraving was very crudely done, and i could only just about make out the name Reese, and perhaps Jenkins as a surname. The inscription was not done by a stonemason either. Perhaps the father had done it himself. Although funerals still take place in the church, people are no longer buried there. The last ones seem to have taken place around 1925. Across the road from the church is the war memorial 20140710_122709.jpg 20140710_122443.jpg

From the church, I once again made my way back to town along the high street. I stopped off at the local supermarket on my way home. Another beautiful day pottering around the town. Lots of sunshine. Where shall i go tomorrow I wonder

Attachments

• 20140710_121542.jpg
    20140710_121542.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 39

welsh dragon

"llyn clywedog dam"? I'm normally quite good at anagrams, but that one has me beaten.

As for the traffic, where the hell is that border collie when you need him?

To pronounce it you have to spit a lot., preferably over someone else, not me. And the sheep here seem to wonder all over the road. There don't seem to be any fences at all.

MikeW-71

Veteran
42 miles in today and the weather was just gorgeous! :sun:

Headed out on one of my favourites with a couple of tough climbs. My usual way out to Warwick Bridge, then heading north past the airport and looping round to Birdoswald Roman Fort, past Lanercost Priory and up the climb back to Brampton. From there it's past Talkin Tarn, a down-and-up through a valley (steep climb on the way out), whizz down the long gentle downhill of How Street back to Warwick Bridge and then home.

Loads of riders out. A bloke coasting downhill with his little lad behind on a new looking roadie with a huge grin on his face ^_^, then came across a large outing at Birdoswald, must have been 10 kids there on a guided trip with various bikes. Couples out, singles, everyone was getting on their bike today!

http://app.strava.com/activities/164095936/

gavgav

Guru
Spent another morning in town. Still trying to get my saddle height right. Stop, start stop, start. Dam still isnt quite right but a hell of a lot getter than it was. Just a wee bit more should do it.

so First of all, headed out of town and towards llyn clywedog dam, which is about 15 miles away from Mach. Im exploring new roads that I can venture onto when I become fitter. This road is quite up and down, so its going to be a while before im fit enough to try getting there. View attachment 50039

Again, we have so much traffic we can hardly move View attachment 50040

after satisfying myself that it was going to be a while before i attempted to get to the dam, i turned round and went back into town. I went tthrough the park again View attachment 50041
I think this is an area where where singers can gather,or at Least some kind of enentertainment takes place here. after leaving the park, I turned right and went past the clock again. View attachment 50043

After passing the clock, I carried onto the church. We have three places of worship in Mach. One churcn and two chapels, although one chapel has been turned into an arts/entertainment centre. View attachment 50044

in the churchyard is one gravestone that was different to all the others. It was a very simple piece of slate that hadn't been finished in any way. Even the edges were uneven and hadn't had any kind of professional tooling. Even the engraving was very crudely done, and i could only just about make out the name Reese, and perhaps Jenkins as a surname. The inscription was not done by a stonemason either. Perhaps the father had done it himself. Although funerals still take place in the church, people are no longer buried there. The last ones seem to have taken place around 1925. Across the road from the church is the war memorial View attachment 50045 View attachment 50046

From the church, I once again made my way back to town along the high street. I stopped off at the local supermarket on my way home. Another beautiful day pottering around the town. Lots of sunshine. Where shall i go tomorrow I wonder
I stopped off in Machnylleth today, for a call of nature, on the way to Aberdovey and Tywyn for a day trip with Dad and Brother, to try and chill out a bit after recent events. Didn't see you though!

welsh dragon

I stopped off in Machnylleth today, for a call of nature, on the way to Aberdovey and Tywyn for a day trip with Dad and Brother, to try and chill out a bit after recent events. Didn't see you though!

I wasnt near the car park. I was round the back in the park, and then went Into the church yard. I try to stay off the main roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom