Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Toeclip

Guru
A 06.30 start out to Maldon for a cuppa, then onto Woodham Mortimer and the Hurdlemaker`s Arms for the Essex CTC summer gathering. Nice to meet up with old cycling mates again over a pint or two. Then home by 16.30 with a nice 70 miles done.

I've been a bit quiet on this thread the last 2 weeks because I have been away on tour, so my previous 8 rides are being written up over here, so I won't bore you with them :whistle:...

Today's ride: Over breakfast with our Warmshowers guest, my OH realised that he had not yet done his 100km ride of this month, so instead of the 50km I was expecting today, we set off to do 100km once our guest had left.

Now I know I have left several days between the end of my first solo camping tour and getting back on the road bike, but it took me a good 10-15km to adjust to the transition and I had sworn at several drivers who cut me up within the first 5km. Wow, what a difference being on the touring bike with panniers makes to drivers' attitude to you! Before long we came across a cycling pushing his road bike, but slowing to enquire if he was OK, we were told that his 'mates' were already on the way back to assist him with his flat tyre, so we left it at that.

We were soon at the cafe that has become a regular stop on our 100km route through Chester, and the Chester Greenway was surprisingly quiet, but it was a hard hard wind all the way though we were still able to push harder than normal along it. Along the Dee, we came across a casual mountain biker with a flat rear tyre and asking if he needed any patches we were advised that it was a faulty valve - hummm... can't help with that one....
A quick lunch followed and then back on the road... by now we knew that we were faster than normal despite the headwind and this had us perplexed... and it remained that way all the way home.

IMG_0969.JPG

IMG_0968.JPG

Some Cheshire countryside.

Somehow we managed to knock 10 minutes ride time off our usual 'course time' and be home before 3:30pm. I don't quite know what happened, but both of us have reached the conclusion that the course needs extending to 125km! :wacko:

And for some reason I have 72 strava cups from this ride. 102km 600m of climbing. My OH July metric century done.
http://www.strava.com/activities/171612140

Mike_P

Guru
Forecast of rain late afternoon turned out to be blue skies and fluffy white clouds so after another spell of playing with front derailleur I set forth on a re-run of yesterdays route which was achieved this time without resorting to pushing the bike. Gear changes a bit erratic however and the lowlights of getting screamed at by one of societies nutters, a second earlier and some part of me might have just contacted with that vacant shell with two eye in it as i shot pass the idiot, and getting chased by a dog were probably topped off by the sulking out of my way by the neighbours cat.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Unable to ride Miles of Smiles ride yesterday, after run-in with emergency dentistry on Thursday. Felt more like 26 miles than 70.
RoadsideMemorialWindmillandCyclist_zps99086c4f.jpg
On leaving Normal, some rural road closures prodded me west, toward Carlock, by way of the Wind Farm. I saw this roadside memorial as a cyclist was riding past.
As I neared Carlock, I stopped on the heights above town to get a picture of the countryside.
RoadPanorama_zpsbe5b2fa2.jpg
I saw this path for drainage through the corn as I returned toward Normal.
CornandHumidity_zpsf0b7dcec.jpg
The corn has gotten quite tall, getting ready for harvest in a month or so. I estimate it at 8'+
Corn_zps32733515.jpg
I also came in 3rd on a 3 mile sprint on Map My Ride that I didn't know was there. I also rode 13 miles today. Nothing much remarkable on today's ride, more or less a sprint to a turnaround point and return.

anyuser

Über Member
Last big training ride before the Prudential Ridelondon 100, down to Brighton and back. I do prefer the western route as its quieter than the eastern route.
http://app.strava.com/activities/171620942
Came across a nice windmill on the way back:
14579027957_bedcca551a_c.jpg

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Actually, my ride on Sunday (not today). A pleasant 50 on the Cheshire Cycleway out towards Wrenbury, until, at the 25 mile mark, a wasp flew into my mouth and splattered across my teeth, making it's final act a sting of the inside of my bottom lip.

Having cleared my mouth of the bits of the deceased insect, I rode home in considerable pain, looking slightly like a low rent Michelle Pfeiffer mouth double.

A memorable ride, but not for the right reasons...

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Actually, my ride on Sunday (not today). A pleasant 50 on the Cheshire Cycleway out towards Wrenbury, until, at the 25 mile mark, a wasp flew into my mouth and splattered across my teeth, making it's final act a sting of the inside of my bottom lip.

Having cleared my mouth of the bits of the deceased insect, I rode home in considerable pain, looking slightly like a low rent Michelle Pfeiffer mouth double.

A memorable ride, but not for the right reasons...
Ow. :ohmy: A like for telling us about it but it sounds pretty painful.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
London Cambridge London.
Have been looking forward to this one for a while, i had promised my 9 year old granddaughter i would take her to Cambridge on the tag along bike, She also has been looking forward to it, Sunday morning nice and early we met Holly at the start, hitched up the tag along and set of about 7-20, felt a bit wobbly for the first few miles but we soon tuned into the way the bike felt.
Image6.jpg
I had Debi my other half riding behind for a bit of protection not that we needed it the drivers were fine on the way there,
Image1-6.jpg
This was about halfway, she was working really hard, did not moan at all, we had two feed stops on the way kept her well hydrated, she was loving it, the attention she got from a lot of the other riders made her feel special, she was lapping it up. lol.
Image3.jpg
She got so much applause at the end it bought a tear to my eye, she even got interviewed by the commentator,
Image5.jpg
It was so nice to be able to share this ride with her, i think it will be a memory that stays with her for a long time, she has already booked me for next year.
Image2-5.jpg
After a nice pint and a bite to eat, the tag along was unhitched and Holly was taken home by car, i met up with the rest of the club and we all rode back together, 112 mile round trip, the ride back was a lot easier. a few of us ended up in the pub for a well deserved beer.
Imagepub.jpg
I do not as a rule ask for any sponsorship, but Holly has a just giving page thought i might put it on here, it says a little bit about her.
https://www.justgiving.com/Sarah-Ne...t=Sarah-Nelmes3&utm_campaign=pfp-share-mobile
This is what she normally does,
horse.jpg

Was a day i will never forget, was a hard ride there but everytime i turned round she had such a big smile on her face it just spured me on.
Looking forward to next year.:thumbsup:^_^:becool:
http://www.strava.com/activities/171720047

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom