Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dark46

Veteran
Have done 35.3 miles today on a flat ride. A poor showing for the club of only 3 turned out. A good ride, a few trophies on Strava which is always good. Legs aching when I got home so must have put some effort in. No incidents which is always good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 65
D

Deleted member 1258

Rosliston the destination, 60 fixed wheel miles the journey, small change of plan today, I've found the cause of the noise on the geared bike and now I'm waiting new chainset, lovely cycling morning, cool bright with a gentle breeze, warmed up nicely as the morning wore on, soon tights, a base layer and a long sleeve top were too warm, out through Kersley, ansley and on to Hurley and Wood End to cross the A5 at Dordon, on to Polesworth where I wimped out on the descent and kept my speed down below 25mph, I'd already spun it up to 29mph on the lane just before the A5, then on to Seckington, Thorpe Constantine, Clifton Campville, Lullington, Cotton in the Elms and on to the Foresty Centre and the Hub Cafe, they had a few stalls laid out on the grass by the Cafe, some were still setting up when I got there so there might have been more later, they were selling food and assorted goodies, the pies looked lovely but seemed a bit expensive, after a coffee and a plate of beans on toast I was on my way, through Botany Bay to pick up my route out and follow it back to Polesworth, instead of turning into polesworth I carried on to Witherley, on through Mancetter and up Purley Chase, then onto my earlier route out and retraced my steps into Coventry and home. Another good morning out on the bike and being on fixed gave me a good workout, spinning up on the descents and working hard on the climbs.

20140824_113931.jpg

Clifton Campville

Last edited by a moderator:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Rosliston the destination, 60 fixed wheel miles the journey, small change of plan today, I've found the cause of the noise on the geared bike and now I'm waiting new chainset, lovely cycling morning, cool bright with a gentle breeze, warmed up nicely as the morning wore on, soon tights, a base layer and a long sleeve top were too warm, out through Kersley, ansley and on to Hurley and Wood End to cross the A5 at Dordon, on to Polesworth where I wimped out on the descent and kept my speed down below 25mph, I'd already spun it up to 29mph on the lane just before the A5, then on to Seckington, Thorpe Constantine, Clifton Campville, Lullington, Cotton in the Elms and on to the Foresty Centre and the Hub Cafe, they had a few stalls laid out on the grass by the Cafe, some were still setting up when I got there so there might have been more later, they were selling food and assorted goodies, the pies looked lovely but seemed a bit expensive, after a coffee and a plate of beans on toast I was on my way, through Botany Bay to pick up my route out and follow it back to Polesworth, instead of turning into polesworth I carried on to Witherley, on through Mancetter and up Purley Chase, then onto my earlier route out and retraced my steps into Coventry and home. Another good morning out on the bike and being on fixed gave me a good workout, spinning up on the descents and working hard on the climbs.

View attachment 54241

Clifton Campville
Welcome to my stomping ground :hello:

D

Deleted member 1258

Welcome to my stomping ground :hello:

Both Rosliston and The Bee Hive Cafe are on the club rides regular, The Coventry Road Club, I tend to ride alone these days, though I'm still a club member, I was a regular on the medium paced Vets Ride in the 1990's.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Hoping for an early ride but it was not to be... Domestic chores took precedence this morning apprently.... :ohmy:

Not fancying a road ride, I got the Hardtail out for a play and ended up meandering around the River Nene and the Washlands. Billing Aquadrome was heaving with tents and cars, vans etc. so I was glad to only be using the riverbank there for half a mile or so before the quieter bridleway along the southerly side of the lake.

IMG_20140824_181112.jpg

Once near Brackmills, I saw a gateway I'd not noticed before. I ended up on the opposite bank of a Nene tributary overlooking the Britannia pub. Nettles were avoided by some dodging and weaving around for a while!

IMG_20140824_181413.jpg

This tunnel took me into the back of the business park via a bridge over a lock. I've lived here for years and not found this bit until now!!
I grabbed a quick coffee at the Jump Park on Bedford Road and had a chat with the lady that runs it and a passing cyclist for 15 or 20 minutes and watched couple of old planes circling overhead. One was a Spitfire, but I couldn't see the hump behind the canopy on the other to know if it was a Hurricane or another Spitfire as they were just too far away. Lovely to hear the unique sound Merlin engines though ^_^

Edit: I forgot this pic..
IMG_20140824_181948.jpg

I found this old railway track. I think it joins up with the line through Brackmills & Gt Houghton.
From here I rode around the unnamed lake at the end of Ransome Road and kind of back the way I'd come, via a hunt for an ice cream van in Delapre Park. Sadly, it was noticable by its absence.. :sad:
Not to be deterred, I reckoned Billing would be open for one.
Back along the riverbank for 5 or 6 miles, and, yes....

IMG_20140824_182139.jpg

Success.. but a bit pricey due to it being Bank Holiday I suppose, and I did ask for choccy sprinkles, not multi-coloured ones, but maybe it mistranslated from Polish to English somewhere along the way, but I did get a flake poked in it!
Tasty anyway..... And the ice cream :whistle:

IMG_20140824_191446.jpg

A pleasant 20 miles & new territory discovered. No great speed or distance, but good to get out and about.

http://app.strava.com/activities/184704830

:smile:

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Myself and @rb58 were meant to go to Ashford for an easy round 100 miler today. But the weather was so nice in our part of the world this morning. Sunny, with a bit of a chill. That we decided to change route 8 miles in. Why sit in a station cafe when one could be sitting on the balcony of the Waterfront Cafe and Bar in Whitstable (as loved by the FNRttC) overlooking the English Channel/Thames estuary enjoying one of their delicious full English brekkies.

So 118 leisurely miles for the day, including tackling the Hollingbourne Hill monster.
Century # 23 for 2014
Century # 127 over all

Time to crack open that chilled bottle of London Pride.

240814.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Myself and @rb58 were meant to go to Ashford for an easy round 100 miler today. But the weather was so nice in our part of the world this morning. Sunny, with a bit of a chill. That we decided to change route 8 miles in. Why sit in a station cafe when one could be sitting on the balcony of the Waterfront Cafe and Bar in Whitstable (as loved by the FNRttC) overlooking the English Channel/Thames estuary enjoying one of their delicious full English brekkies.

So 118 leisurely miles for the day, including tackling the Hollingbourne Hill monster.
Century # 23 for 2014
Century # 127 over all

Time to crack open that chilled bottle of London Pride.

View attachment 54264
I lived in Ramsgate for years but didn't cycle much then, only too and from work. I missed some great countryside.....:banghead:

albion

Guru
Today being a perfect weather day it would have been silly not to attempt another to do route.
With this in mind I set off south to join the C2C off-road route west to Consett then Parkhead.
Being Sunday C2C groups were abundant but with none of the usual fresh south west wind no one was lulled into doing final day super speed kamikaze tricks on their downhill blast.

At Parkhead it was a near instant Crawlyside bank downhill to Stanhope for the west A689 turnoff.
From there it was to St Johns Chapel past the impressive Killhope Wheel Lead Mining Museum and up the steep climb towards Nenthead where it peaked at 627 meters.
At Alston, it was more climbing but even more descent along the A686 and then up past Stublick Chimney(standing as proud as Penshaw Monument) for a very fast 6 miles to Hexham where I took the semi main A685 back to Newcastle.

98 miles in all for what is certainly a spectacular extremely hilly route. Well I say extremely hilly, but at 5600 ft of climbing Endomondo tells me it is relatively similar to my 75 miler Hamsterley ride of Thursday.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
11.22 miles today in 89f temp and 70% humidity, putting a heat index of just over 100f. Simple out and back, a little over an hours worth of hilly riding to a cell tower and return, just keeping miles up for the biking challenge. I saw one other cyclist out while I was, and 4 members of the Wheelers Club leaving on the same route as I was returning.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
And still put in the kind of pace some of us only dream of.:highfive:
Theres always someone faster , if i went on the fast run i would get dropped maybe 10-15 miles from home and even on this ride there was a 72 year old ride leader who kept up except on the hills .This was the no drop group which i actually prefer as i tend to pull at the front most of the day and end up getting a better workout than drafting the chain gang .Plus its a more relaxed ride .

EDIT
Though i was getting a little jittery when i hit 42 mph at one point down a hill.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom