Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I think it's when they all huddle in the corner of a field under trees. Lying down they are chewing the cud.

Thanks. Another myth busted.:thumbsup:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just a quick ride today. My depression has bitten me in the arse and, although I love riding, someone has nicked my mojo so I've not been out since the 19th August.
Tonight I rode my little 5 mile loop and added on an extra half a mile at the beginning. Nearly totalled by some plonker in a Saab who decided to go head to head with a Series 2 Landy. My money would have been on that Landy - just for information's sake you understand - the Saab backed off very sensibly.
Saab chap passed me blaring his horn. I am not sure what I had done to incur his wrath, I had rear lights on and a bright orange top. It's not like I changed my name to Hobbes and snuck up on him. Poor chap probably has a micro willy and is just letting me know. That'll be it.
5.61 miles in 23:18 so averaging 14 mph ish.

stephec

Legendary Member
It never ceases to amaze me, that one day we have wall to wall sunshine, and its so hot that the tarmac starts to melt, and the next day, we're thinking of starting a fire and getting the turbo trainer set up again for the winter.

I decided to go out for a ride despite the rather ominous looking clouds. We have had a great year for growing things this year especially weeds it seems. I chose one of my usual rides along an unmarked lane, a route that is relatively flat. British rail workers have been out in force and cut back a lot of the undergrowth around the bridge View attachment 54480

I carried on under the bridge, and soon came to the stream that was practically dry a couple of weeks ago and that now has a decent flow of water running down it. View attachment 54481

after that i again continued on my way, and came across some cows lying down, which i always thought was a sign that it was going to rain, but perhaps not View attachment 54485

as i continued on my way the clouds started to get darker and darker and i decided to beat a hasty retreat. On my way back, i stopped and clambered over a gate to get a better look at part of the Owain Glyndwr sign posts. Perhaps one day i'll walk the route.

View attachment 54486

for now though its about to rain so time to go. A pleasant hour was had with just myself for company. It doesn't get better. View attachment 54487

It's so tempting, but I shall resist. :biggrin:

stephec

Legendary Member
Just a quick ride today. My depression has bitten me in the arse and, although I love riding, someone has nicked my mojo so I've not been out since the 19th August.
Tonight I rode my little 5 mile loop and added on an extra half a mile at the beginning. Nearly totalled by some plonker in a Saab who decided to go head to head with a Series 2 Landy. My money would have been on that Landy - just for information's sake you understand - the Saab backed off very sensibly.
Saab chap passed me blaring his horn. I am not sure what I had done to incur his wrath, I had rear lights on and a bright orange top. It's not like I changed my name to Hobbes and snuck up on him. Poor chap probably has a micro willy and is just letting me know. That'll be it.
5.61 miles in 23:18 so averaging 14 mph ish.
What were you saying about Saab drivers the other day? :smile:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Up onto the Cotswold Edge for a steady-paced 36 mile training ride today. Rode through a stiff East wind into Stroud (about 10 miles away), where I got caught in heavy traffic. They have a multiple roundabout like the "Magic Roundabout" in Swindon, but the traffic doesn't move as freely. I got stuck behind a few curb huggers for half a mile or more before eventually getting past and heading off up the Slad Valley. The steepest bit is at the Stroud end, but the gradient soon eases off and you carry on steadily, though relentlessly, uphill all the way through Slad to Birdlip. For anyone who is new to cycling, I can really recommend this route up onto the escarpment, as it is way gentler (if longer) than any other route I know out of the Severn Valley.
DSCF3202.jpg
Passed The Woolpack at Slad, but didn't call in for a pint this time. If you have ever read "Cider with Rosie", this is where most of it was set - the Ground Zero of Laurie Lee Country.
DSCF3204.jpg
Once up on top of the Cotswolds, there was quite a stiff easterly wind today, and a couple of tractors towing trailors of hay blew thousands of bits of hay or straw all over me. They seem to have huge multi-storey haystacks in the fields round there, and all the farmers seem to be getting the hay in at the same time.
DSCF3205.jpg
When I got to Birdlip, I took a little detour to the Barrow Wake Viewpoint, from where you can get great views of the limestone escarpment and the Vale of Gloucester, but it was a bit hazy today. In good weather it is one of the best views around, but you have to get out of there before dark - when it becomes a seriously dodgy hangout for quite squalid goings on. Somebody once got a picture into the Citizen (newspaper) by putting up an official-looking brown sign saying "Official Dogging Site" on the main road near Barrow Wake! My niece lives down below the Air Ballon roundabout and has to have blackout curtains in her bedroom window because of all the flashing headlights. (Apparently it's a way of saying "Yoohoo!"). I didn't hang around for long in my lycra.
DSCF3206.jpg
Went back along the escarpment, which runs parallel to the Slad Valley. Birdlip Woods and Cranham Woods are fantastic to ride through, with a smooth road surface and some big sweeping downhill curves to swoosh along all the way to Painswick. You get lots of really good views of Gloucester and the Severn Vale between the trees as you go.
DSCF3210.jpg
From there, I hung a right and climbed up out of the village over a big long steep hill towards Painswick Beacon. We came along here on our club ride the other week, but I took it at my own pace this time, and didn't bother with the high speed descent into Upton St Leonards, but turned left instead and went along a narrow track along the escarpment as far as the village of Edge instead. I love this little track, where I sometimes come to watch deer an hour or so before sunset. They seem to live in the tree line along the escarpment, and come out to nick maize from the fields at dusk. I once had 3 of them leap across the road in front of me and scarper into the woods. There is a little "folly" (for want of a better word) near the Painswick Beacon end of the track, which I think is something to do with the nearby Prinknash Abbey estate. It seems to be falling into disrepair now, which is sad. What I like about it is the religious quotation "I will lift up mine eyes to the hills", and the fact that it is perfectly aligned for a fantastically framed view of the distant Malverns. Unfortunately the weather was hazy today, so you couldn't see the hills through the frame. On a nice day, it is worth a little detour if you are in the area, though.
DSCF3215.jpg
Well, it has happened again! 10 minutes ago, my laptop went "pop", felt as hot as a wok and stopped working again. I have finished this off on Mrs Donger's laptop, and can only see reference numbers where the pictures should be. Hope they print out alright. Anyway, I'm off to give my computer a damn good thrashing with a branch, Basil Fawlty style. See you. Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

Spartak