Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Started out from Buckden with Gti Junior aged 15, romped up the Cote de Cray, down to Aysgarth then nipped across the river on a handy little footbridge I spotted on the map and enjoyed a delightful cruise on empty sunny roads along the north side of Wensleydale to Askrigg where my sister got married. From there along to Buttertubs, which we dismissed without too much trouble (I think even Waddington Fell is tougher) then back down to Hawes for a sandwich. The village was rammed with towerists. Up to Gayle then the only really difficult climb of the day, over Fleet Moss, a nasty climb that gets progressively steeper, culminating in a horrible steep ramp of about 100 yards, then 200 yards of easier climbing to an abrupt summit. Nice cruise down the other side finishing back in Buckden after 40.36 miles and just over 4000 feet of climb.

photo1_zpscb8db7ac.jpg

Going down Buttertubs
photo3_zps27c2e0f7.jpg

Fleet Moss, nasty climb.
photo4_zps4c3bc283.jpg

About to plunge down into Langstrothdale - Pen Y Ghent in the distance.

London Female

Über Member
Just a short 7.5 miles around Oxford city centre today. This weekend is Oxford Open Doors, it's a weekend of free access to many buildings, colleges and churches, some which you normally wouldn't have access to. Five of us set off on bicycles around oxford to a few of the venues. We started off at looking around Nuffield college then set off by bike along the Thames to Iffley where we had a look at Iffley church with its lovely stained glass windows. From Iffley we headed down Meadow Lane and cut through the back streets of East Oxford, stopping in Magdalen Road for a cup of coffee and a short visit to Magdalen Road Studios then on to the delightful little chapel (formerly leper hospital) in Bartlemas Close. After this we headed up the hill in Southfield Road, cut through Brookes tennis courts, down Harberton Mead and Ferry Road to South Parks. Here we visited the Experimental Psychology Department and learned how to keep mentally fit! From there it was a short ride to Turl Street to enjoy Exeter College fellows' garden and listened to the choir practice in the chapel. Lastly we headed back to Broad Street where the 'Inner Space' meditation centre provided a fitting end to our physical and mental exertions with some meditation.

Nuffield Collee
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Iffley lock

View attachment 56078

Iffley Church
image.jpg

Bartlemas Chapel (former leper hospital)
image.jpg

Exeter College
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 42
I've had a ride to Salisbury on my cycle ride wish list for a couple or so now; yesterday I finally got round to doing it.

I took the back roads to Sherbourne via Evershot and up through Yetminster. At one brief point as I was approaching Sherbourne my stomach was feeling very slightly delicate and I was thinking of bailing there and getting the train back home but by the time I reached Sherbourne my belly had perked up enough for me to feel happy to carry on a bit more.

I got onto the A30 and made my way to Shaftsbury. The last two miles were a bit of a slog as my legs had decided to feel tired so I had a stop at Shaftesbury. It was pleasant half hour with a coffee and slice of carrot cake whilst enjoying the views. I then went and found the cobbled hill that appeared in the Hovis ad and walked down it. I didn't fancy cycling down it as I was on my road bike; if I'd been on my MTB I'd have happily bimbled down it with my legs stuck out in childish glee. After walking the cobbled hill I popped into a craft fair on a whim and bought a little wooden door stop for my bedroom door.

After my break it was back onto the A30 and the last 20 odd miles to Salisbury. On the way I stopped to admire the Fovant badges marked out on the hillside; just as I was resuming my journey I spotted an old biplane flying overhead. I finally got to Salisbury and made my way up to Old Sarum where I spent a good hour or so looking around and admiring the views. Whilst there I gave my parents a quick ring to make sure they were ok. My mum always likes me to send her the occasional text when I'm out on a bike ride; yesterday she hadn't been replying to my texts which is a bit unusual hence me ringing them; mum had accidentally left her phone in the bottom of her bag all day so worry over lol.

After a nice 60ish mile ride I caught the train back to Crewkerne station & cycled the 6 miles home. Whilst on the train I got chatting to a couple of other cyclists, swapping cycling stories etc.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Went to town today, and went to a used bookstore I frequent . Very crowded, as it was Parent's Weekend at the University, as well as football game day. Festivities start before noon, last through until about 3:30. Very crowded downtown with tourists and giant vehicles. This situation was handled with aplomb by my new to me steed, the Fuji Touring Series IV. 11.6 miles, sometimes grim, sometimes hopeful, sometimes elating. Had to stop for a brake repair (cable stretch), but otherwise uneventful. New saddle performed well. I bought a copy of The Great Railway Bazaar, by Paul Theroux, as my old one had been read into great weariness. My petting of the shopowners' cat was looked upon with suspicion by my 2 dogs when I got home.

D

Deleted member 1258

Just a short 7.5 miles around Oxford city centre today. This weekend is Oxford Open Doors, it's a weekend of free access to many buildings, colleges and churches, some which you normally wouldn't have access to. Five of us set off on bicycles around oxford to a few of the venues. We started off at looking around Nuffield college then set off by bike along the Thames to Iffley where we had a look at Iffley church with its lovely stained glass windows. From Iffley we headed down Meadow Lane and cut through the back streets of East Oxford, stopping in Magdalen Road for a cup of coffee and a short visit to Magdalen Road Studios then on to the delightful little chapel (formerly leper hospital) in Bartlemas Close. After this we headed up the hill in Southfield Road, cut through Brookes tennis courts, down Harberton Mead and Ferry Road to South Parks. Here we visited the Experimental Psychology Department and learned how to keep mentally fit! From there it was a short ride to Turl Street to enjoy Exeter College fellows' garden and listened to the choir practice in the chapel. Lastly we headed back to Broad Street where the 'Inner Space' meditation centre provided a fitting end to our physical and mental exertions with some meditation.

Nuffield Collee View attachment 56075 View attachment 56076

View attachment 56074

Iffley lock

View attachment 56078

Iffley Church
View attachment 56082

Bartlemas Chapel (former leper hospital)
View attachment 56085

Exeter College
View attachment 56088
View attachment 56089
View attachment 56091

View attachment 56093

This weekend in Coventry they're having a similar thing, they've been doing this regularly for a number of years and call them Heritage Open Days, a lot of Coventry's old buildings will be open during the weekend.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A bit late this, our ride on Friday.

We went to see the Tour of Britain stage 7 race near where we are buying a house, in Upton, Oxfordshire, as we got nearer out destination there were more and more cyclists and spectators along the road. We parked up by a garden centre in Blewbury which was right by a sprint stage and it had a cafe. We waited about an hour before anything in the race happened, we had time for tea and cake, and chatted to loads of folk who came to watch the race go past, a couple of blokes who'd cycled 30 miles from Burford, one on a very nice 30 year old steel Evans bike which he had just restored and had painted Ducati red, it looked ACE.

Just before the race was due to ride past, we got some drinks, crisps and sandwiches and we set ourselves up along side the road had a picnic and waited. Soon the entourage of motorcycles and cars started to arrive, the police taking it turns to block side roads,tour officials and marshals tooting hooters and waving at the school kids who came along waving their Yodel flags, Yodel were sponsoring the sprint stage. There was a really great atmosphere there, everyone being friendly, the weather was perfect.

Eventually we could see three cyclist heading towards us very fast, we had heard there was a breakaway group and whizzed past before we knew what hit us, then a few minutes later the peloton arrived, the rode past so fast it was hard to see who anyone was, I just made out Wiggens....I think, it was hard to tell to be honest. Then all the back up cars went and the whole thing was over. It hardly seemed worth the wait at the time, but looking back it was a nice couple of hours, a great atmosphere and was interesting to see how well the race was organised through this tiny village.

When it was time to set off, I had realised I had left my Oakleys at the cafe, I went to see if someone had handed them in and luckily they had them, and also my wifes Garmin 800, which she didn't realise she had left behind, when I gave it to her she said, that's not mine, I have mine, so i took it back and told the cafe manager that it must be the blokes with the Ducati red Evans bike, as I was leaving he arrived looking for the Garmin in a bit of a panic, he was very pleased to learn that I had handed it in.

After that we had a very pleasant ride over to Didcot to carry out some domestic tasks, like choosing a new floor and windows for a new house.

35.33 leisurely miles.

IMG_0060.JPG

Me winning the Sprint!

IMG_0064.JPG

A couple of pups enjoying the atmosphere.

IMG_0066.JPG

The Ducati Red Steel Evans Bike.

IMG_0155.JPG

Some blokes on bikes.

IMG_0156.JPG

Looking good.

IMG_0166.JPG

The Peloton arrives...

IMG_0180.JPG

...and they're gone!

IMG_0185.JPG

Domestique?

IMG_0205.JPG

This Sky Jaguar came hurtling past all the other cars...something must have happened ahead.

tob1.png

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Turned up for a medium club run and there were only 3 for that group so joined the fast boys .
http://www.strava.com/activities/194327151
69.3 miles in 3 and a half hours , pedaling squares for the last mile :heat:

ScotiaLass

Guru
Today, although tired and not on top form, I was on a mission.

I set out on my usual route, with a few diversions up to the Roman Fort and along the canal towards Glasgow.
The gears kept jumping and I stopped a couple of times to adjust what I could, and got them to the point where at least they weren't clicking in and out by themselves!
I haven't cleaned Priscilla yet, but will do this week then sort these damn gears out!

Anyway, it was lovely, bit of a headwind coming home (isn't it always when you're tired!) and some very nice cyclists out today :smile:

DSCF0069.jpg

The site of the Antonine wall and Roman Fort, near the Falkirk Wheel

DSCF0070.jpg

Priscilla, enjoying the view!

DSCF0072.jpg

A Fly Agaric mushroom - thanks to @Rickshaw Phil for the info :smile:

DSCF0076.jpg

A different view of the wheel today

DSCF0078.jpg

The canal at Bonnybridge, heading back home.

Now I can reveal my mission....to add enough miles to bring this weeks total miles to.....<drum roll please>

100 miles!!!! :hyper::wahhey::girl::bicycle:

I know it's not much in terms of what some of you guys do, but for me with my health issues etc, this really is a fantastic achievement and I am so chuffed :biggrin:

Last edited:

Bryony

Veteran
I wasn't sure if I would be joining my club ride today as all day yesterday I was in agony with toothache, none of the painkillers I was taking were touching it, so I was going to see how I felt this morning and decided then. Well I woke up and no toothache :wahhey: so off I went to meet the ladies at Reculver for a nice easy ride to Margate for cake then back to Reculver.

From the off the ride was far from easy! all along the very exposed sea wall we were fighting against a very strong headwind, and if that wasn't enough toothache kicks in big time!:cry: There was another lady also struggling with pain, she was getting over a broken foot and that was giving her grief so we decided we would get to Minnis Bay have a coffee then head back to Reculver while the others carried on to Margate.

My tooth calmed down a bit after my coffee, I think the chilly headwind didn't help! Anyway we had our coffees and headed back and with the wind behind us it was a very quick and easy ride! If only it could have been like that for the whole ride! So my 20 mile ride ended up only being 8 miles :sad: but thats better than nothing. I'm now sat at home with a throbbing tooth and a swollen face, a trip to the dentist tomorrow I think. :sad:

All of us ladies at the start of the ride, it was quite a good turnout for our little club!
herne bay ladies.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom