Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Monsal Head Hill Climb today in the Peak District, a 160 mile round trip in the car for a 2 min climb, bonkers or what?
Huge crowds as usual, more reminiscent of a mountain top finish in the Tour de France.

Three weeks to the National Hill Climb, next Sunday Mow Cop.

Got our club hill climb coming up on Sunday,don't think it will be quite as hard as that one though,Suffolk hills aren't quite as hard as that looks:laugh:.

gordyfinbar

Über Member
Out with the Kingsway CC again at 9:00 this morning. Pleased to see a good turnout of 10 today, including 2 newcomers. We did a gentlish circuit via Standish and Saul Canal Junction, where we stopped for tea and a chat, then back to Kingsway before the remaining 6 of us started a second, much tougher, circuit incorporating my all-time nemesis, the beast that is Haresfield Beacon.Picture a 1.5 mile hill with a profile that looks like the side of a volcano. Every single bend you come round greets you with another ramp-up in gradient. Even when you think it can't possibly get any steeper, you come round a corner and, guess what? It does.

Respect to Jonah and @gordyfinbar, who both got up the beast in one. Quite an achievement. Personally, I got about 30 metres further than ever before before having to stop..... just up above where the Cotswold Way crosses the road, at the point where it is about 25%. My front wheel had been skipping occasionally for a few hundred yards, so I had started to zig-zag my way up the killer part. Within sight of the ridge across the road, where the gradient eases off visibly, I was just coming out of a zig-zag when the front wheel jumped up again, and I pulled a wheelie. So over I went. I got my foot down OK, but it was frustrating to fail again. Haresfield Beacon still has the better of me. The good thing, though, is that it is starting not to look totally impossible. Maybe I'll try it again soon, and attack the worst bit standing on the pedals instead of seated. While I was pushing the bike for about 75 metres, I caught sight of @Dark46 behind me, riding up the very worst bit in bursts of 2 or 3 yards at a time, stopping regularly but steadfastly refusing to walk. Chapeau!

At the top, it turned out that 2 of the others had got off and pushed their way up the same section as me, so I didn't feel so bad. A great descent down from Edge to Gloucester followed, with me hitting a PB fastest speed of 37.6mph on the way. Beautiful, though chilly, day today. Glad I had winter clothing and base layer on, but it was a lovely day to be out and about.. God, I love cycling.
It was your idea to go up there donger . Beast of a climb .

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I went out this morning. It was raining a little. I got damp. Then it rained more. I got wet. And cold. After 19 miles I decided I'd had enough and came home. Autumn is definitely here.
No riding for 2-3 weeks for me now, off to hospital for a minor op which means nothing 'strenuous' for a bit (maybe a gentle ride would be OK...I suspect SWMBO would disagree:smile:).
Guess I'll put the new N+1 together then:smile::smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride as per normal..

I had a few errands to do yesterday so popped out on my old 1986 British Eagle as the weather was fairly decent.
A cycling friend has just got out of hospital after a quite serious operation, so as an aid to his recuperation,

guinness-porters.jpg

I took him a couple of these to get down his neck :cheers:

After spending an hour there chatting and drinking tea, I rode through the town centre and up the hill to Mereway as errand No.2 was to call into another friends house to pick up a rucksack full of apples from his dad's trees. I feel a few gallons of wine coming on :thumbsup: Plus some apple sauce, crumble and cake!

Sadly I had to head towards home after this as w*rk beckoned in the afternoon..

DSC_3261.jpg

Back under the old railway line in Brackmills to get to the Riverside bike path to Great Billing village hill, my last climb before home.

DSC_3269.jpg

Alongside the stream.

DSC_3274.jpg

And home with 20lb of apples in the rucksack.. ^_^

18 miles in decent weather before work and today's cr*p weather but good to see a friend healing well. Hopefully he'll soon to be out riding again!

http://www.strava.com/activities/203511953

:smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Tea? Tea??????????
Sadly yes :cry::cry::cry:
I drive for a living and had to go to w*rk... I abstain on all working days. Days off however!! :cheers::cheers:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I went out this morning. It was raining a little. I got damp. Then it rained more. I got wet. And cold. After 19 miles I decided I'd had enough and came home. Autumn is definitely here.
No riding for 2-3 weeks for me now, off to hospital for a minor op which means nothing 'strenuous' for a bit (maybe a gentle ride would be OK...I suspect SWMBO would disagree:smile:).
Guess I'll put the new N+1 together then:smile::smile:
Hope all goes well and you're back on the bike asap. Well, once you've got the all clear, anyway.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Boardman CX Team. Was going to be the Comp, but the lure of 10% off, plus another 10% off (British Cycling discount), plus 4.5% cash back via QuidCo swung me to the higher spec. Nice, shiney, and currently living in the bedroom (in it's box of course).

Piccies please when its done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom