Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Walk, well collection, of shame this morning. Doing a good pace round a usual training loop then coming up to a corner I'm presented with a car at high speed on the wrong side of the road seemingly struggling to keep the car on the road at all due to understeer. I jink the bike into the opposing carriageway only to have the car suddenly veer onto the correct side of the road. I know I can't make it back onto the correct side of the road with confidence so head for the verge. Then comes the fun bit of trying to go round a tightish corner on wet grass with a road bike on 25c slicks. This doesn't happen & the alarming sound of metal girding on hard stone is heard. Result deeply scoured rims, in places so deep I can see into the V section void! No way in hell I'm going to ride on rims compromised like that to time for a call to GrasB taxis Ltd. :sad:.

Plenty of time to look around the scene & find out that the muppet driver had simply gone way to hot into the corner, understeered round it, then when the rear wheel had caught the verge oversteered. You could see the fresh verge marks where he'd been sliding from side to side down the road. Video & report will be going to the police. As I have the car's reg & really good quality images of his face I'm wondering if I can make any kind of insurance claim against the driver.

Other than that it was a really nice ride.
:eek: Sounds like you were fortunate to get away with just damage to the bike. Don't know about the insurance claim but if you've got good video of it I think you've got a chance (and I'm sure the insurance company would be delighted to be aware of the standard of their client's driving:evil:)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just a bit of utility riding today - down into town to pay a bill, pick up a magazine and get some spare tubes. Despite feeling properly cool and autumnal this morning there are loads of other cyclists out which is good to see, and not just the dedicated roadies either.

Was just locking up the bike when I was accosted by someone familiar - wasn't expecting to see @gavgav today.:thumbsup:

Edit: forgot to add that when I came back to my bike I found a nice triplet tandem locked up at the next rack. Looked like an older one - possibly 1960s. Foolishly I didn't take a photo.

Business done I took the scenic route back through The Quarry and along the riverside. A nice gentle 7.5 miles before the rain came in.

DSC0001725.jpg

Looking across the Severn to Shrewsbury School.

DSC0001726.jpg

The trees surrounding The Dingle are taking their time changing colour this year.

Last edited:

Peteaud

Veteran
Todays ride was one i have been meaning to do for quite some time, over a year infact.

Watching the TOB last year (2013) at Haldon Park, Exeter i made a route to do the downhill old Exeter Road, and the uphill Mamhead climb. The idea to follow in the pedal strokes of Cav, Wiggo & Co.

Met up with a mate at Haldon at 9.30 and off we set to dark skies and rain.
large.jpg

Going down the Old Exeter Road towards Chudleigh the rain really came down, the road was very slippery and i thought i had lost it at one point under a Conker tree. However, the rain slowed and the sun tried to shine.

large.jpg

(Devon lane, very slippery)

After negotiating some Devon hills we made it into Dawlish, and followed the Exe up towards Exeter. By now the skies had mostly cleared and following the estuary was fantastic.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Then it was back down the back roads towards the hills.

large.jpg

large.jpg

(looking back over the exe estuary)

large.jpg

Then it was the moment i had been dreading and looking forward to, Mamhead.

large.jpg

Mamhead is a Cat3 climb on the last 2 Tour of Britain Devon stages, so the pros go up it as one of the Yodel hill climbs. It is 18% at one point and is 2.5 Km long. The Pro rider do it in around 7 min 50 sec, so my time of (cough wince) 19 min 20 sec wont bother them :ohmy:

large.jpg

(looking down Mamhead)

full.png

Route.

32 miles, 3000ft of climbs.

elevation_profile

Again, sorry for the pic quality, must get a better phone)

Last edited:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
A forty two mile loop from Wetherby to Elvington Air Museum and back. Despite a late set of at 10:30 the sun had not burned off the mist and there was no wind to disperse it. The misb only began to disperse at the edge of York. Had a huge slice of cake at the museum and a good wander around the exhibits before setting off back. I was lucky enough to miss a deluge and was only caught by a light shower at the the edge of the deluge. The roads were awash from the York Ring Road all the way back to Wetherby. A nice ride out.

10702015_10152793056883330_1465120526542770017_n.jpg

Misty lanes near Thorpe Arch

1966961_10152793057023330_2505259565152570096_n.jpg

Life sized image of the cake wedge.

10710522_10152793057268330_6933110327014719513_n.jpg

Handley Paige Victor V-bomber

10645225_10152793058238330_6687295484242403383_n.jpg

Fairey Gannet

1901391_10152793058503330_8824608436389489974_n.jpg

Home constructed Flying Flea

sgl5gjr

Simple and boring ride from us today,........ been to a Mazda Campervan meeting in Lincolnshire.... well we use ours as a base for cycling.... and we rode just a sedate 6.05 miles from camp base to Holbeach..... strange town...lol.....
One thing I was cross about...... 16 vehicles parked on the cycleway NCN route 1..... grrr plus.... young ladies driving small hatchbacks.....don't seem to understand how to pass cyclists safely...they seem just to rev up and drive like there is no tomorrow to pass cyclists..... the majority up in Lincolnshire gave us plenty of room.....

Cyclist33

Just back from the usual ride over to my parents' and back. I had expected to get the WWW act (warm, wet & windy) but risked setting off without waterproofs on... I thought for a few moments early on I was going to regret it, but within 30 mins it was clear it was the right decision for where I was cycling at the time... looking towards my parents home was another matter entirely, but the headwind was that hard that my normal time (1 hr 40 mins or there abouts) was extended somewhat to much closer to 2hrs (:eek:) and by the time I arrived it had stopped raining and I never actually got rained on! Guess the headwind was helpful after all in that aspect :laugh:. Going out, I saw 2 buzzards (one sitting still and allowing me to cycle within 2m of it! and the other flying off down the road in front of me) and 2 herons. the first heron was at a bus stop and stayed put allowing me to cycle within 1m of it! (I will point out that there is a canal on the other side of the bus stop...). I was a touch surprised that it let me get so close, but knew that stopping would scare it off, so didn't stop... Coming home the wind that should have been a really nice handy fast tailwind had swung around by 90 degrees into the wrong direction and was a combination of a side wind and later a headwind where my route turns west! Just my luck.... but I dodged all the rain - I could see it all around me, but it didn't rain on me. Drivers were a really strange mixture today from unbelievably helpful (me indicating right at a mini roundabout and the car to my immediate right who had right of way and would have been turning across my path, flashing me out and waiting until I was safely across the mini roundabout (its on a major A road and the surface is nasty!)) to unbelievable idiocy (Saw a Z4 nearly write itself off trying to overtake me with an oncoming car on a country lane - he ended up off the road momentarily before regaining control!:wacko:). It has been one of those days...http://www.strava.com/activities/205274957 usual 69km commute but slow and daffodil hard!

Typical - you wait all day for a heron then two come along at once!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Some people find failure much more interesting than success. Anyone who is into schadenfreude might like this blog, then. After coming (literally) painfully close to getting up my nemesis, Haresfield Beacon last week, I determined to give it another go today. Robert the Bruce is said to have been inspired by watching the same spider try, try and try again until it finally succeeded, but that approach was starting to look more like the housefly batting itself repeatedly against a pane of glass approach to me. Something different was clearly required.

Getting up some of these nasty little hills up the Cotswold Edge actually strikes me as being more like a spider trying to climb out of a bathtub..... they always find an easier way eventually .... up the plug chain, or over a convenient bath mat hanging over the side, or up the slightly easier slope at the head end of the bath. I decided to take @gordyfinbar's advice this time, and get up out of the saddle at the critical point and stand on the pedals for the killer part of the climb. I very rarely get out of the saddle, but hopefully that would make it easier.

Everything went well at first. Up out of Haresfield past the last few houses on the outskirts of the village .... up the lower ramps feeling comfortable .... up around the first two turns, getting steeper all the way .... still no problems ...up the first really steep ramp with the front wheel starting to skip off the ground (telling me the gradient was over 20%) ...up around the final right hander, where you get the depressing sight of a dramatic further gradient increase where the Cotswold way crosses the road ....ready, steady, GO!..... up three gears and standing on the pedals, breathing comfortably and initial wobble now under control.......and then it happened. The road surface, which had been bone dry all the way up until this point became wet and slimy all of a sudden, and the rear wheel spun, throwing me sideways....I recovered the first big wobble, but then over-balanced and had to put my right foot down. FAILED AGAIN! Couldn't even start off again, it was so steep at this point (25%) that I just pulled a wheelie before the bike even moved a foot. Turned round and dropped back down into Haresfield, where I turned right and rode on to the next right turn up the Cotswold Edge near Harescombe determined not to go home until I was at the top.I was not beaten yet.

Found a little right turn signposted "Harescombe" and decided to go for it. At an unmarked Y junction I then opted to go right and the road immediately kicked up noticeably. This road was muddier and wetter than the Beacon, and the surface was covered with leaves, twigs, conkers and other tree debris. After a few hundred yards, maybe half a mile, it started to look like a Cornish lane, entering a cutting with steeply banked sides and a deep gully at the left side where the tarmac just fell away vertically into a ditch. Here I met my first car coming the other way. The road was only just wider than a car, with very little room to pass, and nowhere to put my left foot down.... had to go for it and hope I didn't wobble ...... just squeezed past, wiggling my body to miss the wing mirror while riding only an inch or two from the edge of the tarmac with the ditch at least a foot or two below. Phew! .... Another steep section followed ... slippery surface again (really slimy mud) ... then a tractor came. Had to put my foot down and pull the bike out of the way. Took a slurp of my drink and thought about pressing on, then caught sight of the gradient and the narrow slippy road ahead. I kidded myself for a moment that it was unsafe, but basically I dipped out. Too steep, too soon after Haresfield Beacon. FAILED AGAIN!

Right! That was it. There was no way I was going home until I had got up to the top somewhere. So like the spider in the bath, I headed for an easier route. I rode past a further turn to the right and ignored it, as our club had done that one without me the other week and had struggled. Most of the lads had a very prosaic name for the climb, but @gordyfinbar referred to it more poetically as "Ladygarden Hill". I pressed on until I hit the main Gloucester to Stroud main road and went up the long, steady (2 mile or so) drag up Horsepools Hill as far as the church at Edge instead. A few years back, it took me three attempts before I could climb this one non-stop, each time gradually getting a bit further up than on the previous attempt. Nowadays I find it much easier and always get up comfortably in one, so I felt a pennance was necessary after my two failures, and I vowed to get up it in the middle chain ring for the first time.

Good news! Sailed up it easily on the middle ring, about 1mph faster than ever before. Followed that with a lovely 32mph glide back down Horsepools Hill and a sprint back home via Kingsway, taking the ride to just under 20 miles, with 3 big hills attempted. 90% of the first one done, 50% of the second one and then finally succeeded on the third one ..... Good climbing practice, I suppose, so not a wasted ride in any way. Back out again tomorrow morning for the first couple of hours of the club ride. Hope they are not doing any monster hills tomorrow, though.

Cheers. Donger.

Last edited:

Freds Dad

Veteran
After a couple of days off work with D&V and recovering on Friday I went out to add some more miles to my October target. I stopped for a short drink near the Yellow Broom Restaurant and met a nice bloke from Congleton CC who encouraged me to join them and have a ride out on one of their Leisure rides. I think my riding will improve if I go out with a group and will make me do those extra miles as it can get lonely cycling alone.

http://www.strava.com/activities/205973217

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not a tremendously exciting report about today's ride, but just to mention that I was lucky with the weather. The forecast was that it was going to rain at some point and I had intended to go out earlier but got distracted by miscellaneous, er, distractions.

The sun was still shining when I left home and I was going to do my usual 19 mile hilly Cragg Vale loop but when I got to Mytholmroyd I spontaneously decided to do it clockwise for a change, rather than anticlockwise. The scenery looks very different when looking in the opposite direction to normal.

As I got up to 375 metres above sea level, I could see big black clouds rumbling up to the west, over where I would normally have been climbing up Cragg Road. I felt one or two spots of rain, but that was it - the storm blew past a few miles from me. By the time I had got up the A58 to Blackstone Edge, the rain had stopped and the road was already starting to dry on the descent. When I got back to Hebden Bridge, the roads were still awash, so I had obviously missed a heavy downpour.

That's 2 days on the trot - I did the CV loop anticlockwise yesterday and only experienced a couple of minutes of heavy rain, from which I sheltered under a roadside tree. The rest of that ride was done in sunny conditions.

I have enjoyed riding my Cannondale this year, but it will soon be time to put it away for the autumn and winter. I'll put some mudguards back on my Basso and ride that until the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom