Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Another pleasant amble around the flatlands here today. About a 17 miler in 3 hours or thereabouts along the Lodes Way. My speed is rarely one to trouble the good folks at Strava I'm relieved to say.

Sugar beet season has started here so months of muddy roads lie ahead. Wasn't too bad today, but signs of what's to come are appearing ...

image.jpg

Rumours of a rare glossy ibis lurking near Wicken Fen had me heading out that way, and remarkably, I spotted it among some egrets very quickly. A first for me and fine creature it was too.

My back wheel is also slightly buckled so I came out with my spoke key to try to sort it away from the house so as not to annoy Mrs G with my swearing. I think I made progress, but its still not right. Honestly how flippin' hard can it be?!

The Lodes way is certainly well signposted...

image.jpg

On home over Reach Lode Bridge...

image.jpg

View from the bridge...

image.jpg

13 swallows passed over my house on Friday, perched on some wires then headed on south again. I'd assumed they'd be the last of the year I'd see, but near Swaffham Prior this afternoon a small flock of 6 juveniles passed by overhead. i wished them good luck for their journey. I'd be amazed to see any more now this year. Here's a couple (dreadful pic)..

image.jpg

Despite the darkening skies it was a lovely ride.

Mrs M

Guru
Foggy and :cold: this morning and it didn't seem to be showing any sign of clearing so I fitted the lights and went for it anyway. I haven't been up the Long Mynd for a while so that was where I was headed today (this will also act as a recce for a planned ride with @gavgav soon).

I started off with an irritation - the driver who followed me out of the village and knew damned well I was ahead of him gave me six inches of clearance as he passed.:cursing: No need for that on a clear road.:thumbsdown:

The fog thickened as I left the village and within 2 miles I had to stop to give the glasses a wipe as they'd misted up. Fortunately though it thinned as I passed through Condover and the sun was breaking through by Great Ryton. Didn't stop it being cold though as I rode through Longnor and Leebotwood (via the old Roman road). That changed once I started the climb towards High Park. I can do this climb without stops but one was needed today to shed a layer.

Once up at the top I rattled across Wild Moor (it's a pity the National Trust has seen fit to resurface this path with such coarse gravel) and climbed up to the summit at Pole Bank.

After putting layers back on and chatting with a couple of walkers I continued down to the gliding club meeting a group who'd just come up Asterton Bank. They all looked knackered and admitted to having had to walk it.

I was heading down the bank and with the sky being clear that side of the hill the views were great. My next plan was to head across Asterton Prolley Moor and up to Medlicott. Last time I was here was when I still had the original gears on the Raleigh (31" lowest gear) an it was pretty hard work. The hills round this village are actually steeper than I remember but easier today due to having better gearing. After Medlicott the road is gated and I was just getting to the first gate when a lady on a horse came the other way. She was accompanied by hubby (I presume) and children in a small carriage drawn by two Shetland ponies. Stood there holding the gate open I didn't think to get my camera out (although I'm a bit wary of taking photos which include other peoples children).

Further on this lane became really muddy until I'd passed through Coates farmyard. I'm glad I didn't have to put a foot down anywhere along here. Mudguards! - because sometimes it inna mud.;)

I was headed for Ratlinghope now and took the opportunity to take a couple of snaps when waiting for a car to pass. This was good as it mean the camera was ready for the next car of 1920s vintage (I recoognised the gearbox whine before I saw it).

Carrying on I climbed over the Long Mynd for the second time today on the roads through Middle and Upper Darnford and up to Robin Hood's Butts before descending High Park. So as not to just retrace my steps I turned off for Plush Hill before descending into the valley via Gogbatch.

The return trip was good up until I had to use the usual short section of the A49. 2 close passes and one who gave me loads of room but stayed on the RH side of the road causing oncoming traffic to hoot, swerve and gesticulate at him :huh: (you have 3 guesses what make the car in question was)

37.8 miles, 2 climbs over the Long Mynd and 11.4 mph average (okay I suppose).

View attachment 58932
Foggy at the start and the field is steaming!

View attachment 58934
A pause to take of layers on the climb up to High Park.

View attachment 58936
At the summit looking over to the Stiperstones. It's nice and clear this side of the hills.

View attachment 58937
The group of cyclists I met near the gliding club. They'd found Asterton Bank does deserve its reputation.

View attachment 58938
There was a bit of activity at the gliding club - this one is on final approach.

View attachment 58939
Descending Asterton Bank. The locals don't seem bothered by the drop at the side of the road.

View attachment 58941
Down at the bottom of the bank.

View attachment 58942
The vintage car. For once I'm not sure of make and model.

View attachment 58946
Second climb over the Long Mynd - very wild looking countryside.

View attachment 58948

Back down in the Stretton valley and the hills look pretty moody with the cloud so low.

WOW, what a fan dab day!!
PS Short for fandabidozie, it's a scottish thing, just google "The Krankies"

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Hey donger thise beast climbs are pretty much impassable now til the spring . They just become to slippery with the debris from the trees and mud from the farms. Something to aim for next spring prehaps. How did you go when you left us this morning?
Gordon
Nice and easy up the other side of Horsepools, thanks. Hope you didn't let those Gloucester City boys overtake you before you got back from Stonehouse.

Mrs M

Guru
Another pleasant amble around the flatlands here today. About a 17 miler in 3 hours or thereabouts along the Lodes Way. My speed is rarely one to trouble the good folks at Strava I'm relieved to say.

Sugar beet season has started here so months of muddy roads lie ahead. Wasn't too bad today, but signs of what's to come are appearing ...

View attachment 58931

Rumours of a rare glossy ibis lurking near Wicken Fen had me heading out that way, and remarkably, I spotted it among some egrets very quickly. A first for me and fine creature it was too.

My back wheel is also slightly buckled so I came out with my spoke key to try to sort it away from the house so as not to annoy Mrs G with my swearing. I think I made progress, but its still not right. Honestly how flippin' hard can it be?!

The Lodes way is certainly well signposted...

View attachment 58940

On home over Reach Lode Bridge...

View attachment 58944

View from the bridge...

View attachment 58945

13 swallows passed over my house on Friday, perched on some wires then headed on south again. I'd assumed they'd be the last of the year I'd see, but near Swaffham Prior this afternoon a small flock of 6 juveniles passed by overhead. i wished them good luck for their journey. I'd be amazed to see any more now this year. Here's a couple (dreadful pic)..

View attachment 58947

Despite the darkening skies it was a lovely ride.

I always wish the birdies good luck on their way

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
A 56 mile ride of three distinct stages today. A fast blast (for me, anyway!) to a friend's house in Taunton where I thawed out with a coffee before we set off at a more leisurely pace for a ride out to Langport for an even more leisurely lunch. We arrived back at her place and were tucking into a delicious roast dinner within half an hour, followed by pancakes.

Belly full, I was thinking of an even more leisurely pace home but changed my mind as soon as I opened the back door - rain. Lots of. I was kitted out for a chilly autumn day, not a wet evening so given the choice between wet and cold or wetter and colder, opted for the former and bullied my legs into action. They were thrilled, as you can imagine...

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
the famous '3 Ferries' with an add-on...

First train down to Wemyss Bay, mate joining train enroute..
Ferry across to the Isle of Bute, alighted at Rothesay and start the 8 or 9 mile to Rhubodach and the second short ferry trip to Colintraive where the serious stuff started after we dropped down on to the coastal route along Loch Riddon to view the many yachts moving down the Kyles of Bute then we joined the main road towards Glendaruel but we turned right and headed up the rollercoaster B836 towards the Holy Loch..
Wow! Cat 4 right the whole way to the top but got there in the lower gears and stopped for a brew-up at the summit of the first climb...

rsz_img_0520.jpg

The Chubby Mhor slowly getting there...no milking it!

'Milking it'
means getting off your bike going uphill ( I honestly dunno why its called that)..
The roller coaster started after that a quick steep 20% drop before swinging round the top of Loch Striven before another Cat 4 drag for quite a bit..
'Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?' I was being ignored, a stop at Loch Tarsan ( no hollering please) then it was almost downhill all the way through Glen Lean on what is a cracking newly laid road surface although very narrow single track in places..
We soon arrived at the top of the Holy Loch...
Dunoon? no it was left and find the Glen Masson road which is a windy single track road up what in autumnal colours looking excellent. The road end(tarmac section) was finally reached, a quite bite to eat and it was a slow downhill roll and it was ferry time, we passed the terminal at Hunters Quay hoping to catch the passenger only ferry from Dunoon but we saw the ferry and guessed we wouldn't make so it a short journey back to Hunters Quay...
a smooth sailing and soon we were embarking at Mc Inroys Point , Gourock.
It was 9 miles plus to home, train part of the way?
nope I followed Route 75 even taking in the 40% section near home..
46 miles road work later, a :cuppa:...
There has been a couple of CC Ecosse trips of this route so if you haven't been, get across....

D

Deleted member 1258

Willoughby the destination, 51 miles the journey. Should have been wallpapering but cycling seemed more attractive, cold, bright with a hint of mist this morning, I wore summer tights, base layer, short sleeved top and a winter jacket, by the time I got half way across Coventry I was wishing for winter tights and overshoes, quite clear until I got to Bagington the I hit the fog and started wishing I'd taken the fixed with its lights instead of the Verenti, through Wappenbury, Marton, Birdingbury and across Granborough Fields to Willoughby the fog just seemed to get thicker, then riding down Lower street and turning into Main street it cleared just like someone had flicked a switch and I was in bright sunshine, Came out the Cafe to bright sunshine and took a slightly more scenic route home through Broadwell and on to Long Itchington then up Hunningham hill to Bubbenhall before turning toward Ryton and on through Woolston and into Coventry past the Speedway, an interesting and varied mornings cycling a tad chilly at first but warming up nicely as the morning wore on.

20141012_093039.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Sorted Strava today, and went riding to the store for a gallon of milk, but making that 7 mile journey into a 13 miler with a jaunt through the foggy and misty countryside and down the new trail segment . I had fitted a new, longer stem for more upright riding, and was a little faster on hills. Got to the store and brought purchases home directly as there was milk and frozen things (chicken burritos). Rain began in earnest as soon as I rounded the corner of my own street. I lucked out on that one. A good ride on a grey day.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Had a lovely ride this morning from Colwyn Bay to Prestatyn and back. In all, 34 miles. The temperature was just under 6 degrees when I left home at 9.30 and it is about 14 degrees now but the sun is out and it feels warmer. I stopped for a cup of tea and biscuit at my son's in Rhyl on the way to Prestatyn. When I got back, I thoroughly cleaned the bike, ready for the next ride. I did have a clipless moment on the way back from Prestatyn when trying to go through a patch of sand. My front wheel just went from under me and down I fell on my right side. There was nobody about at the time so my dignity was saved. I wish the Council would clean those patches of sand across the cycle path though!

That cycle path is a delight isn't it? We rode on it from Prestatyn to Llandudno this summer. I presume you came off on the stretch where you're right next to the beach and the path sort of slopes down to the sea? When we rode it there was plenty of sand on it too so had to take it easy. Well worth it mind you. The stretch we enjoyed the most was after the Rhyl crowds die down when you run right next to the main road. Lovely

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
That cycle path is a delight isn't it? We rode on it from Prestatyn to Llandudno this summer. I presume you came off on the stretch where you're right next to the beach and the path sort of slopes down to the sea? When we rode it there was plenty of sand on it too so had to take it easy. Well worth it mind you. The stretch we enjoyed the most was after the Rhyl crowds die down when you run right next to the main road. Lovely
Yeah, it is a good cycle path. It is a shame that there are some many pedestrians with their dogs though.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
"Season of Mists"
The forecast was fab for Sunday. Sunny, no wind to speak of, nice and cool. Did my planning, big loop around Peak District then back home to make Pork & Plums casserole. Got up nice and early.....so foggy you couldn't see more than 20m. Mrs Nickyboy ain't keen on me going out in that stuff so had a restful hour or so to see if the fog would lift. It didn't
Two hours later than planned, I set off. Only it wasn't a Peak District loop, it was a run out into the flatlands of the Cheshire Plain. I like to save these for really good days as they are a treat when you live where I live.

No planned route but I went Glossop - Hazel Grove - Alderley Edge - Over Peover - Goostrey - Some other little villages I don't recognise - Alderley Edge and back home.

The weather was glorious. Not just nice....I mean REALLY glorious No wind, sunny and cool enough to mean that I wasn't sweating too much but I could wear shorts.

Loads of cyclists out. There's a type of cyclist I only see in Cheshire. Unfit looking guys on unfeasibly expensive bikes. The kind of bikes that glint in the sun because they're so clean. Don't tend to see them in the up the Peak District mountains strangely enough. Their Rapha gear looked nice mind you.

As I was following my nose I headed down a road that ended up in a housing development. Found my way back onto the road and continued. Bit frustrating but, later on, I came to really appreciate that little diversion.

After about 3 hours in the saddle, pushing on, I was getting tired but still an hour to go. But two previous Sundays had taught me a lesson. No mahoosive café stops this time. Managed to eat about 10 mini flapjack bites and that saw me home. Total 100.8km (thanks housing development diversion!) at 25.6km/hr. Climbing was about 1000m which was, for me, practically pan flat.....lovely

djb1971

Legendary Member
Spent the weekend in Wales, bikepacking. Drove over to Vyrnwy, dumped the van, then headed over to the Berwyns. Did an overnight bivvy, then crossed back over the top and back to Vynwy on Sunday lunchtime.

Weather was amazing for October.

The climb up from Vyrnwy
15527725225_2a5981ffef_z.jpg

15341114987_b313237a8d_z.jpg

Still not there
15524860331_a3b6cc318d_z.jpg

Lots of this
15341078449_178497aba6_z.jpg

Then lots of this
15340989389_b457a1bb9b_z.jpg

Looking to the Berwyns
15341299107_ed681c91c8_z.jpg

Looking to the Arrans
15527908225_8961e0a44e_z.jpg

Then back to base camp at Vyrnwy
15527588142_1198df33d1_z.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Spent the weekend in Wales, bikepacking. Drove over to Vyrnwy, dumped the van, then headed over to the Berwyns. Did an overnight bivvy, then crossed back over the top and back to Vynwy on Sunday lunchtime.

Weather was amazing for October.

The climb up from Vyrnwy
15527725225_2a5981ffef_z.jpg

15341114987_b313237a8d_z.jpg

Still not there
15524860331_a3b6cc318d_z.jpg

Lots of this
15341078449_178497aba6_z.jpg

Then lots of this
15340989389_b457a1bb9b_z.jpg

Looking to the Berwyns
15341299107_ed681c91c8_z.jpg

Looking to the Arrans
15527908225_8961e0a44e_z.jpg

Then back to base camp at Vyrnwy
15527588142_1198df33d1_z.jpg

Have you been doing clever things to those photos? They look so wonderfully intense that I can't believe they haven't been heavily tweaked ... Either that, or somebody slipped some LSD in my afternoon coffee! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom